News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

opinions on valvetrain/head combos

Started by fizz, August 06, 2016, 03:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizz

Ok, without going into reasons why, I am going to start over on my top end of my 493 engine. Pistons are diamond 52421 that are 10.3 compression with a 72cc head, 9.6 on a 80 cc head, 9.3 on a 84 cc head.

Trick flow heads are 78cc so that looks like high 9s for compression. Looks like a good option. It will have a six pack. Yes I know this is not optimum. Headers are 2" tti with 3" exhaust. 3500 stall and 391 gears. Has overdrive trans w/.70 overdrive.

So, if I want to go with a hot street car, that I can drive cross country, what solid roller cam do you guys recommend. What kind of numbers could I expect?
Anybody running a Bullet custom ground cam?

BSB67

Quote from: fizz on August 06, 2016, 03:01:08 PM

Headers are 2" tti with 3" exhaust. 3500 stall and 391 gears. Has overdrive trans w/.70 overdrive...........So, if I want to go with a hot street car, that I can drive cross country, what solid roller cam do you guys recommend. What kind of numbers could I expect?

Kind of an interesting combo for cross country.  

Are your Pistons actually 0.012" in the hole?  You should of had them put in at zero deck.

You could use Comp cam Xtreme Energy, or other mild lobe like the -5 series, or NC.  You should still use a 200/500 # spring.  Don't skimp on rollers.......Isky Red Zones.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on August 06, 2016, 08:39:45 PM
Quote from: fizz on August 06, 2016, 03:01:08 PM

Headers are 2" tti with 3" exhaust. 3500 stall and 391 gears. Has overdrive trans w/.70 overdrive...........So, if I want to go with a hot street car, that I can drive cross country, what solid roller cam do you guys recommend. What kind of numbers could I expect?

Kind of an interesting combo for cross country.  

Are your Pistons actually 0.012" in the hole?  You should of had them put in at zero deck.

You could use Comp cam Xtreme Energy, or other mild lobe like the -5 series, or NC.  You should still use a 200/500 # spring.  Don't skimp on rollers.......Isky Red Zones.

:iagree:  everything russ said plus, dont skimp on rockers. You are going to be beating that valvetrain to death even with a mild roller setup looking for cross country reliability.

Challenger340

What was your top end combo before ?

IMO,
* TF's milled .030" (Yes, the Intake will still fit)
* Comp Street Roller #23-702-9 installed @ 105*, extremely easy on parts and should be no problem long term, used it lots, we like 480# rate springs installed around 165# seat close to 450# over the nose, Comp Lifters are fine.

Never Dyno'd it with a 6-Pak ?
but with an M1 single 4 BBL and well Ported EDDY's @ 10.7 we usually see 625-635'ish Power and Trq.  The TF's are better so you should be ballpark before the 6-pack corks things.
Check the port alignment with your 6-pack manifold, get a LCD screen probe and look.... they can be out substantially.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

fizz

Pulled my heads to check some things over and found it had beat up heads off a blown engine.  They were stealth heads.  I've got 1.5 Harland sharp roller rockers on hand. Can I use them effectively? Thanks for answering, exactly the guys I was hoping for.

fizz

Cam I pulled is a lunati hyd roller adv dur 294/302. Dur @.050 243/251. Lift 560/565 lsa/icl110/106

fizz

Any reason not to port match the 6 pack manifold?

cdr

have the stealth heads been ported ? if they have & done correct the TFs will be about the same, you could also put solid rollers on the cam you already have  :shruggy:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

fizz

The stealth heads I have have been ground out in one combustion chamber to remove dents . The also have excessive milling. I did not know this when I had the engine built and was under the impression I was getting new heads. We are considering putting solid lifters on the cam I have. The objective is to get it right this time around. A proven combination is what I would like. I don't have the experience to design it myself. I have a good guy helping me though.

c00nhunterjoe

Dropping solid lifters on a used hydraulic cam is not in my book listed as "done right"  :Twocents:

cdr

Quote :::
Dropping solid lifters on a used hydraulic cam is not in my book listed as "done right"

it is on a roller cam & he said his cam is a roller. :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

Quote from: fizz on August 08, 2016, 06:45:39 AM
We are considering putting solid lifters on the cam I have.  I have a good guy helping me though.

Hmmmmm.....

How do I say this gently.  If your "good guy" is telling you to put solid tappets on a hyd roller cam, well, he is an idiot.  Are you considering re-using the Stealth heads without someone reputable going through them?

Seems like your problems will probably get worse before they get better

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Quote from: fizz on August 08, 2016, 06:45:39 AM
........The objective is to get it right this time around.

Doing it right probably looks something like:

1) measure the piston deck height.
2) Purchasing the aluminum cylinder heads that achieve a good CR
3 seek professional help for selecting a solid FT camshaft.
4) have a professional go through the new heads.  Although, I would consider direct bolt on of TFs

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fizz

If there's an idiot. That would be me, and the guy I bought engine from. My guy is looking into a cam combination that would go with the trick flow heads. Are you thinking I need to pull my bottom end down too?

fizz

And we were just going to put solid rollers on a hydraulic roller cam. Lunati didn't see a problem. But at this. Point, I am Mott stuck on this cam

BSB67

Quote from: fizz on August 08, 2016, 08:25:43 PM
If there's an idiot. That would be me, and the guy I bought engine from. My guy is looking into a cam combination that would go with the trick flow heads. Are you thinking I need to pull my bottom end down too?

I don't know one way or the other.  It does not seem like there is a problem there based on your posts.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Quote from: fizz on August 08, 2016, 08:42:12 PM
And we were just going to put solid rollers on a hydraulic roller cam. Lunati didn't see a problem. But at this. Point, I am Mott stuck on this cam

Yes, solid roller lifters would probably be fine.  I assumed you meant solid FT.  My bad!

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fizz

I called Trick Flow, they said they were good with my cam mentioned above with 148-430 valve springs. Compression wold be about 10. Maybe replacing the lifters with hydraulic rollers again. The beating up the valve train using solids has me nervous. Thoughts? It ain't time for me to be cheap, but I can't help my lack of experience.

fizz

And final answer is: Porter racing prepped trick flow heads with solid roller cam and lifters speced by same. Also adding milodon high flow water pump and high flow themostat.

firefighter3931

Quote from: fizz on August 16, 2016, 01:40:25 PM
And final answer is: Porter racing prepped trick flow heads with solid roller cam and lifters speced by same. Also adding milodon high flow water pump and high flow themostat.

Excellent choice !  Dwayne will make sure everything is well set up and properly matched.  :2thumbs:

I'm thinking that you're going to be a very happy camper once this combo is assembled and dialed in !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fizz

Ended up going with a solid flat tappet on his reccomendation. But yes, high degree of confidence with him, fast turnaround, and more attention per dollar spent than could be expected.

BSB67

Quote from: fizz on August 26, 2016, 05:29:36 PM
Ended up going with a solid flat tappet on his reccomendation. But yes, high degree of confidence with him, fast turnaround, and more attention per dollar spent than could be expected.

I was wondering.  It is not like him to recommend a solid roller for the street.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

fizz

I think he believed that suited my build better. Part was that isky red zones are back ordered.
The output he reckons with the flat tappet when I get it tuned is better than I hoped any way

firefighter3931

The TF heads are very nice and have a big, fat flow curve. Dwayne will pick out a cam that will access that flow and yet be docile enough to work with the mild gearing.  :2thumbs:

Nothing wrong with a flat tappet solid ; with nitriding, priority lifter oiling and the proper oil it will be very reliable and still make excellent power.  :icon_smile_big:

I'm sure this combo will make north of 600HP and be a blast to drive !  :icon_smile_cool:

Any plans to get it onto an engine dyno ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fizz

Doing the change out in the car, but will tune it on a chassis dyno  should be driving in a couple weeks