News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash restoration

Started by Chargerito, August 06, 2016, 05:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargerito

I have a 68 Charger R/T matching numbers everything. Engine ,tranny match the vin. Radiator support and rear drip rail match the fender tag. The dash is crap. Its only missing the ashtray cover and whipper button. My question is this. Is it worth the 4,000 that its gonna cost to redo the dash with the original everything? Or go with a repop dash? Whadyou guys think?

RECHRGD

A matching numbers '68 R/T is a valuable vehicle.  Putting an after market different dash in it will hurt its value.  Don't do it.  Have you shopped around on the pricing?
13.53 @ 105.32

Mytur Binsdirti

4 grand to restore a dash?

Chargerito

Yup, 4 grand. Possibly more. I'm in Cali so my options are limited. My only option really is Just Dashes. Im reading reviews and they're not great. I've looked around and it seems that all the places that do quality work on on the east coast.

Mytur Binsdirti

Does that price include someone's labor to take it out and reinstall it?

RECHRGD

Talk to this guy.... www.gcartrim.com  .  If the link doesn't work just google it.  He did mine.  People ship him thei stuff from everywhere.
13.53 @ 105.32

Chargerito

Nope. I have to pull it out, take it to them and re install it. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of California.

Chargerito

Quote from: RECHRGD on August 06, 2016, 06:34:45 PM
Talk to this guy.... www.gcartrim.com  .  If the link doesn't work just google it.  He did mine.  People ship him thei stuff from everywhere.

Thank bud

green69rt

Quote from: Chargerito on August 06, 2016, 05:55:41 PM
I have a 68 Charger R/T matching numbers everything. Engine ,tranny match the vin. Radiator support and rear drip rail match the fender tag. The dash is crap. Its only missing the ashtray cover and whipper button. My question is this. Is it worth the 4,000 that its gonna cost to redo the dash with the original everything? Or go with a repop dash? Whadyou guys think?

It sounds like you're talking about the complete dash.  So that means the front windshield needs to be removed.  If you're going to have it out and taken apart for the restoration then I'd stick with the original dash unless it's got something wrong with it (corroded, hacked up, etc).  When you say "repop dash" do you mean just the frame.   The original can be blasted and repainted. Then there all the pads, I haven't heard of any of the repop pads that have the correct stitching.   Then there's the instrument cluster, does that need rebuilt (?), pretty expensive unless you can do it yourself.  Wiring harnesses are available.  Misc stuff like the glove box, ash tray can be found used and restored.  So maybe $4000 is not so far off if you count on someone else's labor.

Of course while the dash is out you might as well redo the heater box.  Also a really nice looking dash is going to make you steering column and wheel look crappy.   :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

charger chris

: :scared: :o  keep ur dash. Look around ask people
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Chargerito

The car is currently being restored. The entire dash is out. The 4 grand is for the entire dash. All buttons, gauges dash pad etc..... You might be right about the price. The gauges are gonna be tested and calibrated.

charger chris

I am glad I am going to fix my stuff. I would never get my car going at those pric ::)
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Chargerito

That'll be my next project. A Barracuda that i can fix myself.

charger chris

That's cool. I love the 70 cuda.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Chargerito

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Chargerito on August 06, 2016, 06:56:30 PM
The car is currently being restored. The entire dash is out. The 4 grand is for the entire dash. All buttons, gauges dash pad etc..... You might be right about the price. The gauges are gonna be tested and calibrated.

I would take it apart myself, send the dashpod & faceplaces out& get the dash frame repainted. Get new VIN rivets, glove box & clean the pads up yourself. You'll easily save a couple grand.

charger chris

:iagree:
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on August 06, 2016, 07:43:12 PM
Quote from: Chargerito on August 06, 2016, 06:56:30 PM

I would take it apart myself, send the dashpod & faceplaces out& get the dash frame repainted. Get new VIN rivets, glove box & clean the pads up yourself. You'll easily save a couple grand.
You can alway ask people here. I am sure you can get help.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

70B5Cuda

1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

VegasCharger

Quote from: Chargerito on August 06, 2016, 06:24:25 PM
Yup, 4 grand. Possibly more. I'm in Cali so my options are limited. My only option really is Just Dashes. Im reading reviews and they're not great. I've looked around and it seems that all the places that do quality work on on the east coast.

:iagree:

Stay away!!!

Chargerito

OOOOPS meant to say 70.geeez, tough crowd

Lennard

Quote from: Chargerito on August 06, 2016, 11:35:10 PM
OOOOPS meant to say 70.geeez, tough crowd

No, knowledgeable crowd ;)

Homerr

I think Instrument Specialties is the other place that does them.  IIRC Graveyard Carz pimps them.  Also not cheap, but brand new looking when done.

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/

AFD 792

4 grand for a complete dash resto? Not that bad. I have more than that in portions of my dash, AND almost 2 years of waiting.  ::)