News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Charger Registry

Started by Homerr, August 06, 2016, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

The column needs to be formatted as text. It will drop leading zeros if it's formatted as a number.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

Quote from: Troy on August 15, 2016, 02:56:52 PM
The column needs to be formatted as text. It will drop leading zeros if it's formatted as a number.

Is not zero a number?  :scratchchin:   See what I mean, I just don't have the skill.  Thank you Troy.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Troy

Quote from: 68X426 on August 15, 2016, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: Troy on August 15, 2016, 02:56:52 PM

Is not zero a number?  :scratchchin:   See what I mean, I just don't have the skill.  Thank you Troy.

We were typing at the same time. Excel "helps" a little too much - especially with dates and integers. If you leave a column alone it defaults to "General" and then it will implicitly mangle the data type to Number or Integer if it thinks you have only entered a number. A true number doesn't have leading zeros so it strips them (technically it stores the numeric value then when it tries to make it human readable again it doesn't know about the leading zeros). You can override this by forcing the column itself (or the cell) to some sort of string/text. I think you may also be able to store it as a number then apply "padding" to it (which essentially turns it into a string any way for visual display). In Excel, if you have formatted the column as a string and then put a number in a cell it will display a small green triangle in the top corner to let you know that it thinks you are wrong... ;)

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

68X426

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

hemigeno

Another way to keep Excel from dropping the leading zero (and keeping the data stored as a number rather than as Text) is to format the cell as a "custom" format.

Go to "Format Cells  /  Number   /   Custom " (which is at the bottom of the list)

Once you get there, the default format is "General"

Click on the text box above the dropdown list that says "General" and it should make that entry disappear.

If you then type in six zeros (with no decimal point), it will format every number in such formatted cells with six digits before the decimal point.  Same thing goes if you want a certain number of digits after the decimal point.  Don't forget to make sure that all the cells in that column or row that you're trying to set up this way are all changed to that formatting.

So, inserting 000000 as the "Custom" format type will insert a zero as the first digit on any 5 digit S.O. number, and won't add any commas either.  Or, if someone types in the zero, it'll stay.  Either way, it works.  There are times this comes in pretty handy to keep the data as numbers, but Troy's method of converting to Text may be sufficient for this purpose.

68X426

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Homerr

As an example of what Gene said I've got this on the 'Broadcast' sheet pulling data from the 'Form Responses':

=ArrayFormula({"";IFERROR(TEXT(QUERY('Form Responses 1'!K2:K), "000000"))})

But it is really all at the wrong end, I am going to try to figure out how to do data validation at the Google Form level for the SO so it is on the front end.

If all SO are 6 digit then I need to get it to work with:

(where 'x' is 1-9)

xxxxxx
0xxxxx
00xxxx
000xxx
0000xx
00000x  (hah!)
Axxxxx
A0xxxx
A00xxx
A000xx
A0000x

Unless it can be state that unequivocally that some of the above will not exist.  And there are no B-Z?!

Alaskan_TA

Format cell, then click on 'text' & anything entered will stay as entered whether is starts with a 0 or a letter.

Homerr

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 07, 2016, 03:47:38 AM
special order paint was "999" not "991"

Ran in to this:

Member jwilk01 posted this in 2006 that it was for his car.  Thoughts?

Homerr

Ok, data validation is now on the front end, i.e. at the Google Form.

For date 01-31 are acceptable entries.  Here's the regular expression for anyone interested:  (0[1-9]|[12]\d|3[01])

And the SO is now set for 012345, 123456, and A12345.   [0-9A]{1}([0-9]{5})

Fixed the 5 digit entries to add a leading zero.  So date and SO's should be showing correctly now on the Broadcast tab.

Added the fender tag engine code for those just entering fender tag only.  L=440=83, G=383-2=61, etc.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Homerr on August 16, 2016, 09:34:35 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on August 07, 2016, 03:47:38 AM
special order paint was "999" not "991"

Ran in to this:

Member jwilk01 posted this in 2006 that it was for his car.  Thoughts?

fake...tag is too clean and no punch out. give one of those tag makers extra $ they will make whatever you want. too bad we cant just go to dodge and have them process a vin to see what the car actually was

6bblgt

I agree - "FAKE" tag with numerous errors, the Charger listed above it also has issues

lloyd3

I wonder how long it took those other registries to reach their roughly 2000 car average?

Tom68

I just added my old parts car.  But I forgot to mention in the comments that I still have the fender tag & dash frame complete with vin still attached.  I also have many of its parts.

Can I edit my entry and add that or do folks feel its not that important.

TPR

What's the deal with VIN & Fender Tag info gathered from ebay/craigslist/dealers etc?
By this, I mean, is there anyone adding to the registry details from cars up for sale?
Is this the right thing to do?
I'm happy to contribute information that I come across from publicly advertised sales, but I'm not sure if this is ok or not.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Tom68

I just noticed a mistake in the one I entered.  Under the U in the UBS, I've got a U, spreadsheet says B.  Oops.

How can I fix it?

Dans 68

Quote from: TPR on August 19, 2016, 02:01:32 AM
What's the deal with VIN & Fender Tag info gathered from ebay/craigslist/dealers etc?
By this, I mean, is there anyone adding to the registry details from cars up for sale?
I'm happy to contribute information that I come across from publicly advertised sales, but I'm not sure if this is ok or not.
TPR

Absolutely. Just make sure that it has not already been entered, and perhaps leave a note on its background.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Homerr

Quote from: Dans 68 on August 19, 2016, 08:35:54 AM
Quote from: TPR on August 19, 2016, 02:01:32 AM
TPR

Absolutely. Just make sure that it has not already been entered, and perhaps leave a note on its background.

Dan

Yes, do add info by any means.  Pics/links also encouraged if available.

Duplicate checking/cleanup is on the list of things to figure out.  I'd rather have duplicates at this point than discourage people from entering cars.  But at the same time, if you can take a moment to sort by the VIN or SO column to check for duplicates that would be great.

If someone runs in to a situation where a VIN has been entered but no fender tag info - or vice versa - please enter in what you have even if it creates a duplicate if you can match a VIN/SO together.  Pairing a VIN and fender tag is always more important than worrying about creating a duplicate!

Homerr

Quote from: Tom68 on August 19, 2016, 08:10:14 AM
I just noticed a mistake in the one I entered.  Under the U in the UBS, I've got a U, spreadsheet says B.  Oops.

How can I fix it?

Let me know your VIN and/or SO here as a post, PM me, or email to 1968chargerregistry@gmail.com and remind me what the specific fix is and I'll take care of it.

Mr.Sixpack

I just registered my 68 440 R/T.

:cheers:

cavemanno1

I've done my R/T as well, the 99th car registered!

By the way the  T7 code for the tachometer means just the tachometer or the tic toc tach or just the clock?I could not find the option for the tick toc tack or just clock in the registry just T7=tachometer in the second line from the top.Shouldn't it has 3 options instead of just one?
My car has now just clock but the fender tag say tachometer T7.

Dans 68

If you have the T7 code then you have the tic tic tach. If the 7 is not there you do not - I don't believe that there was a clock delete option.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Homerr

BTW I'm aware of the issue with the SO column.  The data is fine, just the display is having issues.  I'm working on it.

68X426

Also, several lines are showing as complete blanks.  The line number is there and the rest is blank.  Just me?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Homerr

Quote from: 68X426 on August 22, 2016, 12:24:36 PM

Also, several lines are showing as complete blanks.  The line number is there and the rest is blank.  Just me?

There was one near the bottom that I just got rid of.  Seems that someone hit Submit without entering info.  Are you seeing moreblank lines?

Got some ideas now for the SO#, might take a few days to get straightened out.  The data is still on the 'Form Responses 1' tab if you'd like to access it in the meantime.