News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauge Issues

Started by gcdsn76, August 12, 2016, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcdsn76

I just won an EBay auction for a 71 GTX. One of the issues with the car is the gas gauge, fuel and temp gauges don't work. Is this the result of a bad gas gauge and voltage limiter like 67 Chargers?

Pete in NH

Hi,

I would look at the instrument voltage regulator first since none of the gauges work. Some earlier Mopars had the regulator built into the duel gauge but, the 71's used a separate plug in can type module with three prongs. Hopefully, a bad regulator didn't burn out the three gauges. That can happen too, when the regulator contacts stick closed and puts the full 12 volts on the gauges.   

gcdsn76

Can they be repaired if that happened?

Pete in NH

Yes, the gauges can be repaired but there are not too many guys/companies that do it and I believe it's a rather pricey undertaking. The first thing would be to check the gauges out. Take a look at the top sticky posting in this section on instrument panel restoration and you will find some information on checking out gauges.

Bossman963

Theirs a place called Redline in Newhall Calif- that does gauges, dashes etc  phone number is 661-260-1277
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS