News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper motor?

Started by M5Ivan, August 12, 2016, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M5Ivan

My wipers aren't moving well and I went to test the motor the other day per the service manual and realized it's not the correct '69 2 speed motor. Any ideas?

DAY CLONA

That's a 3 spd wiper,...some obvious issues to attend to are the cheesy wire crimps, and the brass ground strap, I'd clean those areas up first, the 3 spd relies on a clean proper ground strap for operation

IMHO your better off removing the wiper motor and sending it to Kim at www.passion4mopars.com and have it gone thru, it's money well spent

Was your Charger originally 2 spd?

67tbird

Have you had issues with the wipers not parking right(2 speed versus 3 speed have different linkages/control knobs).

adauto

I second the Kim @ passion thing. I had a similar problem and she got it all corrected!  :2thumbs:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Mopar Nut

Pull the motor and check your crank arm, 2sp and 3sp are different.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 12, 2016, 09:44:54 PM
That's a 3 spd wiper,...some obvious issues to attend to are the cheesy wire crimps, and the brass ground strap, I'd clean those areas up first, the 3 spd relies on a clean proper ground strap for operation
IMHO your better off removing the wiper motor and sending it to Kim at www.passion4mopars.com and have it gone thru, it's money well spent

I exchanged mine with Bruce @ www.ns1aar.com .   It's pretty.    I never got a reply email or phone call from this Kim person after repeated attempts earlier this year.    Actually more affordable too.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

M5Ivan

Since I don't have a build sheet, I was assuming it was originally a 2 speed since the interior switch has 3 positions. (off, low & high). The wipers don't always move when you turn them on. I'll clean up the ground and fix the wires first.
Thanks.

Passion4Mopars

Check the number on your crank arm first.  If you have a two speed crank arm on a three speed motor, you'll bind the motor, overheat it and possibly burn the armature.  Two speeds are concentric motors, three speeds are non concentric motors, they operate differently and thus need different crank arms.  Also, if the switch is a two speed and the motor is three speed you'll get one speed, usually fastest, and the motor will not park except where you turn it off at.

Sorry about the non returned calls Brian, I've had a couple months at different intervals where I shut down, didn't accept new work, in an effort to get some things caught up on this end and get inventory back on my shelves. 

lukedukem

Quote from: M5Ivan on August 13, 2016, 06:24:38 AM

Since I don't have a build sheet, I was assuming it was originally a 2 speed since the interior switch has 3 positions. (off, low & high). The wipers don't always move when you turn them on. I'll clean up the ground and fix the wires first.
Thanks.

You can check the fender tag if it's there.  Should be coded for 3 speed if it is. And no code for 2 speed. J25?

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Passion4Mopars on August 13, 2016, 07:28:14 AM

Sorry about the non returned calls Brian, I've had a couple months at different intervals where I shut down, didn't accept new work, in an effort to get some things caught up on this end and get inventory back on my shelves. 

IIRC Kim, your shop got caught in some flooding as well and operations got relocated for some time?

M5Ivan

Check the number on your crank arm first.  If you have a two speed crank arm on a three speed motor, you'll bind the motor, overheat it and possibly burn the armature.  Two speeds are concentric motors, three speeds are non concentric motors, they operate differently and thus need different crank arms.  Also, if the switch is a two speed and the motor is three speed you'll get one speed, usually fastest, and the motor will not park except where you turn it off at.

I cleaned the ground and now the wipers work, albeit not very fast. I'll check the wiper crank as I'm only getting one speed and they are not parking. What number am I looking for on the arm?
Thanks!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 13, 2016, 03:54:58 AM
I exchanged mine with Bruce @ www.ns1aar.com .   It's pretty.    I never got a reply email or phone call from this Kim person after repeated attempts earlier this year.    Actually more affordable too.

Kim I've sent you many emails over the last few weeks and tried calling.   Need an ETA on my motor.  Just sent another email now.....

You did a great job on my last motor, but this one is lingering too long.     If you are too busy and can't do it soon, no problem.  Just send it back.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: M5Ivan on August 13, 2016, 10:13:17 AM
Check the number on your crank arm first.  If you have a two speed crank arm on a three speed motor, you'll bind the motor, overheat it and possibly burn the armature.  Two speeds are concentric motors, three speeds are non concentric motors, they operate differently and thus need different crank arms.  Also, if the switch is a two speed and the motor is three speed you'll get one speed, usually fastest, and the motor will not park except where you turn it off at.

I cleaned the ground and now the wipers work, albeit not very fast. I'll check the wiper crank as I'm only getting one speed and they are not parking. What number am I looking for on the arm?
Thanks!

#2822273 is the correct 3 spd wiper motor arm, the main wiper LINKAGE (the arms that go out to your wiper blade pivots) is the same however on the B bodies regardless 2 or 3 spd wiper, however if your wiper was changed to 3 spd you need the 3 spd switch for proper function, the wiper dash harness is able to accept 2 or 3 spd switch, there's provisions for it, so no need to change/rewire the dash harness, just make sure the correct switch is in play

Although the rocker switches look the same, the 3 spd will have this rheostat coil mounted on the side, the 2 spd switch will not