News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My build *UPDATE* 8/11/18

Started by SmashingPunkFan, August 27, 2016, 10:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

I used it inside my trunk lid, inside the hood where you can't see and inside the A pillars.  Any place where I coulldn't get in to clean up.  Kind of a last resort thing.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: green69rt on July 29, 2017, 01:37:32 PM
I used it inside my trunk lid, inside the hood where you can't see and inside the A pillars.  Any place where I coulldn't get in to clean up.  Kind of a last resort thing.

There seems to be alot of places that survive outside pretty well, but behind panels have suffered. Like lower rockers between quarter meeting area.
I appreciate the info, I will definitely be getting some
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

SmashingPunkFan

Need info on how to attack this. With my floor pans, more heat and faster speeds overtook voids pretty well. But with the quarter area, aiming to be gentle with heat and excessive warping issues.  How to best avoid the voids in these areas?

The pictures are of the drivers side where the quarter meets the sail panel, pretty close to the fuel fill door area.
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on August 01, 2017, 08:32:22 PM
Need info on how to attack this. With my floor pans, more heat and faster speeds overtook voids pretty well. But with the quarter area, aiming to be gentle with heat and excessive warping issues.  How to best avoid the voids in these areas?

The pictures are of the drivers side where the quarter meets the sail panel, pretty close to the fuel fill door area.

I'm kinda stuck on this... its time consuming to keep welding areas that are heat sensitive and having them still produce voids.

I could really use some feedback guys
Projects:

Bronzedodge

A few questions - what shield gas are you using?  Argon/CO2 mix?  It's hard to tell with the grinding, but the location of the joint is a bit tricky - top edge.  What size wire are you using?  Something around .024" would be best.  I'd try a different setting on some scrap material.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Bronzedodge on August 07, 2017, 04:50:06 AM
A few questions - what shield gas are you using?  Argon/CO2 mix?  It's hard to tell with the grinding, but the location of the joint is a bit tricky - top edge.  What size wire are you using?  Something around .024" would be best.  I'd try a different setting on some scrap material.   :Twocents:

The gas I'm using is argon 75/25 C02
And I have .30 wire

I've had good results throughout my experience with other sections on the car, but this quarter is giving me hell.
If it were a flat floor pan, I'd pilot hole it and turn the heat up. No more voids, but this is sensitive
Projects:

green69rt

Did you use the tack weld method? Put a bunch of tack welds about 4" apart, let it cool then another set of tacks between the first ones, keep doing that till the whole thing is welded.  Even with that method you have to be careful not to get too aggressive with the weld time.

Troy

I use .024 wire and still manage to get it too hot. I'm not an expert welder and I have only used .030 wire on frame rails - or parts that weld to frame rails. You need to go glacially slow. If you are butt welding it probably only takes a tap on the trigger to get it hot enough. Space them far apart. Repeat a few thousand times.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hemi-hampton

When you say voids do you mean pin holes in weld or just spots with not enough weld? I go over these pin holes or voids with more weld. From what I can see in this pic of yours you did not have enough heat because the spot weld is balled up high on top of the metal instead of flat resulting in less penetration meaning weaker weld. Meaning harder to grind & harder grinding means more unwanted heat. If your worried about excessive heat, weld it like you did but with more heat, BUT, keep a blowgun plugged in on end of your air hose & cool each little spot weld with cool air after welding. It's slow moving & time consuming but works. LEON.

Bronzedodge

I'd recommend going to smaller wire.  Cut up some scrap and do a bit of practice, .024 does have a different feel.  The larger the wire, the more heat you will need.  Some folks cool the welds immediately with a damp cloth or compressed air.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Bronzedodge on August 08, 2017, 05:18:43 AM
I'd recommend going to smaller wire.  Cut up some scrap and do a bit of practice, .024 does have a different feel.  The larger the wire, the more heat you will need.  Some folks cool the welds immediately with a damp cloth or compressed air.   :Twocents:

Good info. I have used .30 for the last 5 years, its all I had. I will switch to some smaller wire and give it a shot  :popcrn: thanks guys
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

A whole new world of problems when I dropped my old suspension.
Any feedback? 😀 I'm actually quite optimistic about this situation, just wanna tackle it soon!

BTW the worst picture is of the passenger side rear k member bolt hole. The fronts of both sides look good, but the drivers side has a small tear in the metal, but still pretty solid.
Projects:

JB400

build you a template off of the k member so you can get your bolt pattern correct, and just weld it back in.  Option b is to replace frame rails.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: JB400 on March 04, 2018, 03:31:05 PM
build you a template off of the k member so you can get your bolt pattern correct, and just weld it back in.  Option b is to replace frame rails.

Cool, cool. Do you by chance have one of the measuring diagrams so I can plumb everything before moving forward?
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,116416.0/all.html

Any thoughts on this?
Would it be bad if I did this same style repair, but only a foot or so in length? Could the welds support this much pressure?

Need some feedback 😃
Projects:

JB400

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on March 05, 2018, 09:00:26 PM

Cool, cool. Do you by chance have one of the measuring diagrams so I can plumb everything before moving forward?
Unfortunately,no I do not.  Just lay your k member on a large piece of cardboard, mark out your holes, cut it out, and then bolt your template up to your car, to get the right bolt hole pattern.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: JB400 on April 01, 2018, 07:03:16 PM
Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on March 05, 2018, 09:00:26 PM

Unfortunately,no I do not.  Just lay your k member on a large piece of cardboard, mark out your holes, cut it out, and then bolt your template up to your car, to get the right bolt hole pattern.

I took the leap today...
Projects:

hemi-hampton

I've been gone for awhile. any updates :scratchchin: LEON.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 14, 2018, 08:21:35 PM
I've been gone for awhile. any updates :scratchchin: LEON.

Got part of it welded back in
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Not a big fan of fluxcore. It welds appear to be flakey until you start grinding on it... Smh.
I know I got it hot enough, I accidentally burned through the frame and new material twice.
Projects:

hemi-hampton

SmashingPunkFan

Made progress. Passenger side is complete, and ready for new suspension.
Projects:

hemi-hampton

Looks good, do you have to do the same thing to the other side. LEON.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on April 22, 2018, 09:04:01 PM
Looks good, do you have to do the same thing to the other side. LEON.

Thank you sir.
I believe so, it has some similar tears. But they're not nearly as rough as the passenger side was.

Think there's any chance I could just weld it back up as is?
Projects: