News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to use to bring leather and vinyl back to life

Started by johnnycharger, September 04, 2016, 12:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi guys
I just picked up a driver's seat for my 70 SE and it is a bit neglected.  What do you recommend to soften it up? I have used the Surf City Garage leather reguvinator in the past with good luck but I didn't know if there is something better.

expdchief

I am about to clean the rear seats on my 70 Charger.  I will use the following method:

Step 1) Go to the 99 cent store or Walmart and pickup a tub of GOOP hand cleaner ($1.67 at Walmart)

Step 2) Rub the entire vinyl surface with this stuff straight with no water just yet. Spread it out all evenly, working it into the grain and cracks, dont be shy with it as a tub only will properly do about 2 seats. Use a combination of your fingers/fingernails and a nylon bristle nail cleaning or dish-washing brush.

Step 3) Now just sprinkle a very tiny bit of water, just enough to get the dirt in suspension, rub some more, watching the dirt lift all. Less water is cleaning more trust me. This is the slimy step

Step 4) Once you've covered everywhere in step 3, rinse off with a garden hose, recheck in bright light and look for places you may have missed. If all is well, dry it off with a towel or let it sit in the sun or both.

Step 5) If there is a spot or 2 that wont come off with GOOP, the next step is gasoline and a rag. If that doesn't work, your last resort is lacquer thinner. If the Vinyl is dyed or has a pattern printed on it, avoid lacquer thinner as it can take dyes and printed patterns out very quickly. Only use this as a last resort. The GOOP should take out 95% of of all the stains. Use the Gas or lacquer thinner always last. The GOOP will soften the Vinyl like it was almost new. You'll be amazed how well this process works.

Hope this helps.