News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

One brake light dim than the other

Started by Canadian1968, September 05, 2016, 08:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I am finishing up all the small details for my safety and noticed that my inner brake lights are dimmer than the outside on both sides.  I switched bulbs and sockets so it is none of that. And should both filaments not light up with brake.?

Highbanked Hauler

Possible different number  bulbs,  Isn't one filament  tail and the other one brake and signal ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

A383Wing

Canadian1968

ahhh ok so only 1 should be lit up when brake is on. I just thought they would want the brake as Brite as possible !

A383Wing

you don't say what year you are working on...that should have been made clear in your first post...so I will assume you are working on a 68 Charger....to answer the question, both bulbs in each tail light will work the same...running lights and brake lights are supposed to be working the same in each side....I would suspect a possible bad bulb or socket if one does not light up like the one next to it

Canadian1968

yes it is a 68.  I switched bulbs and get them result.  so I guess the socket itself. just odd they would be same on both sides. I made new harness from the connection up at driver side kick panel so the wires are not the problem .

A383Wing

the wires were never the problem seeing as you had brake and tail lights on one of the sockets per side...how many wires to each socket do you have going to them?

are you sure you have the bulbs in the sockets correctly?

Canadian1968

Each socket has 2 wires.  What determinism one or both filaments light up...... voltage ?

A383Wing

the only way both filaments light up is when you have the parking lights on and either step on the brake or use the turn signal at night when lights are on.....you should always have 12+ volts at the bulbs....the brake light will be brighter than the running light....

both filaments inside the bulbs has it's own circuit....having both on will not make anything brighter, the brake filament will drown out the parking light filament

Canadian1968

Hmmmm OK.  So the 2 contacts on the bottom of the light are 2 separate circuits. And then bulb grounds out threw socket? So if I had wires crossed on bottom  ....this would do it?

A383Wing