News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's this 68 Charger Project Worth?

Started by John Milner, September 07, 2016, 03:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

I'm considering buying this '68 Charger project and would like some opinions as to what it might be worth.  I have been out of the Charger business for quite a while now and would like to build another one.  This one is just a base 318 car.  No engine or transmission.  Hideaway setup is in good shape. Needs front and rear lower valances. Passenger's quarter is good. Driver's needs rust repair on the lower part in front and behind of the tire.  Comes with new AMD quarter. Floor pans are nice along with the trunk pan.  Hood is usable.  Trunk lid might be usable.  Doors are good along with the door glass.  Quarter windows are good.  Dash is all there.  Has all of the front end parts to make it roll.  8 3/4 rear end. The worst part of the car is that the torsion bar crossmember has been cut out and would need replaced.  No title.  What would a project like this be worth?

Mopar Nut

I sold my 68 in worst shape for $6000 non matching motor with title. No title, run, run fast!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

John Milner

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 07, 2016, 04:02:54 PM
I sold my 68 in worst shape for $6000 non matching motor with title. No title, run, run fast!

So what is the huge deal about no title?  Is it a big hassle to get one for a car that has been off the road for many years? 

Troy

Quote from: John Milner on September 07, 2016, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 07, 2016, 04:02:54 PM

So what is the huge deal about no title?  Is it a big hassle to get one for a car that has been off the road for many years? 
Depends on where you live. Here in Ohio I have to have a title for the car if the car came from a state that requires titles. Some states (NY?, AL?) don't have titles beyond a certain age so you just need a Bill of Sale. Each state is different as to the rules for applying for a "lost title". Sometimes you need a signature from the last person who owned it (or their heir). Some places let you apply for a title but it's conditional for 2 years to see if anyone claims it. In some cases you can file a mechanics lien to procure a title. Again, there's a waiting period before it officially yours in case the owner wants to refute it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lennard

Quote from: John Milner on September 07, 2016, 04:11:41 PM

So what is the huge deal about no title?  Is it a big hassle to get one for a car that has been off the road for many years?  
I don't know where you live but in Arizona and Nevada,  $300, filling out some paperwork and 3 weeks waiting will get you a new title.

John Milner

I checked into my state's laws and there is an option to get a title.  It's not all that expensive and is relatively easy to do. The VIN is clear on the car and it hasn't been registered in many years. The last Charger I bought costed me $300 and a 1973 Honda 90 motorcycle (1996).

moparnation74

One question is how much are you looking to spend on this restoration?  How much work are you able to do on your own?

John Milner

Quote from: moparnation74 on September 08, 2016, 09:31:49 AM
One question is how much are you looking to spend on this restoration?  How much work are you able to do on your own?

I do all of my work on my own.  The only thing I would hire out would be machine work on a 440.  I got out of the Mopar business back around 2004.  Have built several GTO's, Chevelles, and hot rods since then.  Just have the bug for a Charger. But I have seen projects go for a whole lot more than I'm willing to pay.  Just not sure what to offer on this one. 

Daytona R/T SE

$6,000 if it had a good title and four wheels on it :Twocents:

John Milner

Decided to make an offer and buy the car.

moparnation74

Congrats!  Best of luck with the resto....

DAY CLONA

Quote from: John Milner on September 08, 2016, 08:34:31 AM
I checked into my state's laws and there is an option to get a title.  It's not all that expensive and is relatively easy to do. The VIN is clear on the car and it hasn't been registered in many years. The last Charger I bought costed me $300 and a 1973 Honda 90 motorcycle (1996).

Getting a title often seems easy, that is until you actually are face to face with your local RMV/DMV clueless idiot, before you put your VIN number of your latest acquisition in the "system" at your State's RMV/DMV I'd suggest a dry run in person with a hypothetical vehicle to gauge what you might be in store for at your local RMV/DMV

The State of Vermont will register your ride without a title thru the Internet, you just need Insurance (Hagerty or Grundy are good to use) pay the Vermont tax fee, along with the registration fees, you'll be sent a registration and Vermont plates in the mail, your then good to go...the Vermont RMV/DMV does not require you to have a Vermont address or residency to obtain a valid Vermont registration/plates

If you want to use the Vermont registration/plates that's fine, your local LEO's or DMV/RMV has no jurisdiction on their use, or you can wait after 1 yr of holding the Vermont registration/plates and use those to apply for title/registration in your title required State  

John Milner

Here are a few updated pictures of this '68.  It is going to make a nice driver.  It has a 10:1 440 with a .550 lift cam, 3:90 sure grip, and an a833 4 speed.  It is not running yet but it is close.  Next step will be the interior. 

John Milner

A few more pictures

John Milner

A few more.

darbgnik

Wow. Quite a difference a couple of years makes! How much metal work did you have to do?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

John Milner

Quote from: darbgnik on November 05, 2018, 03:11:32 PM
Wow. Quite a difference a couple of years makes! How much metal work did you have to do?

I had to install a new torsion bar crossmember, which really wasn't anywhere near as bad of a project as what I thought it was going to be.  The frame rails were still in really good shape.  I had to replace the driver's side quarter panel.  The outer rockers needed a couple of patches. I had to replace the rear valance.  Other than that there really wasn't anything too bad on the body.  There were hours and hours of block sanding on the body.  The bodywork isn't perfect but it will make a good driver, which is exactly what I wanted. In the late 90's, this car probably would have just been a parts car.  I'm glad it is going to have a new life.

darbgnik

That's less metal needing replacement, than a lot of "shinier" purchases.  :2thumbs:
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

nchrome

Barbgnik l can attest to that  l paid mega bucks for a shiner supposedly drive when parked  :eyes: and so far one front frame rail, torsion bar crossmember, floor pans on both sides, trunk floor, rear frame rails, shock crossmember, and rear frame cross member and still a long way to go. :brickwall: lets say more than 6,000 less than 25,000 :brickwall: Cann't look back now guess l'll just plug on till its done

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

VegasCharger

Great progress!!!! :2thumbs:

Are you going to black in the tail panel?

:cheers:

paironines

What process did you end up go through to get a title for it?

John Milner

Quote from: paironines on November 06, 2018, 08:52:42 AM
What process did you end up go through to get a title for it?

I had to go through the local court to get a title.  It really wasn't that bad of a process.  I believe I was out about $100 for court costs and about $150 for a tag/title. 

John Milner

Quote from: VegasCharger on November 06, 2018, 02:05:34 AM
Great progress!!!! :2thumbs:

Are you going to black in the tail panel?

:cheers:

Thanks, I have been going back and forth on doing that.  I had some black paint mixed up when I bought the orange.  I will probably end up doing that at some point.