News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Shifter Knob Removal

Started by expdchief, September 14, 2016, 10:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

expdchief

Hi I am a new member restoring mu 70 Charger.  I need to pull the console to replace the carpet.  Can anyone tell me how to remove the shifter knob?  I have taken out the set screw but when I turn it nothing seems to happen and I don't want to break it.  Thanks Much. Mike

70 sublime

The shifter has a cable that goes down the center to activate the notches in the bottom

The knob is screwed onto a small threaded rod that is welded to the end of the cable

Only way to get it off is to twist it which un winds the cable if it is stuck at the threads
If it is stuck hard you might wreck the cable but it seems the only way I have found to get it off
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

expdchief

Thank you.  I have been told to do this counter clockwise (to the right) is this correct?  Don't want to break the spring. Thanks much.

Dino

I have the chrome 68 style and the knob twists off ccw. Just go slow when you turn it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

expdchief

A383Wing

counter clockwise is to the left, not the right

Dino

Quote from: A383Wing on September 14, 2016, 05:29:33 PM
counter clockwise is to the left, not the right

OW! I didn't even catch him say ccw, I just saw to the right. Thanks for posting or he would ruin the knob!

XH29N0G

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

expdchief

No Not from down under just a brain fart - thanks for the clarification though. LOL

stripedelete

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 14, 2016, 10:41:47 AM

If it is stuck hard you might wreck the cable but it seems the only way I have found to get it off

I chose to wreck the button.  ;)

tcs69rt

Lefty loosey and righty tighty is what they taught me to remember at explosives school.  :2thumbs:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

John_Kunkel

It's been a while but I seem to remember a set screw. Look on the side of the shifter knob, you will see a little hole, inside that hole is a small Allen head set screw; insert a small Allen wrench into the hole, loosen, then rotate the shift knob counter-clockwise, unscrewing it, removing it from the shifter itself.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: tcs69rt on September 16, 2016, 12:53:38 PM
Lefty loosey and righty tighty is what they taught me to remember at explosives school.  :2thumbs:

Except when it comes to left side lug nuts.

ws23rt

:2thumbs:  I broke off three on one wheel as part of my learning at age 14. BTW it is hard to twist them off. :lol:  My friend stopped me from breaking all five on one wheel that day. ::)

expdchief

Ok so I am NOT willing to break it.  Worse comes to worse I will cut the carpet down the center and slide it under the console.  Any thoughts? :flame:

Dino

The knob is not turning at all?

You can get the console top plate up enough so you can unbolt the entire shifter assembly. At least then you can move it to your workbench and you'll be able to remove the console.

A383Wing

Quote from: expdchief on September 17, 2016, 07:45:10 PM
Ok so I am NOT willing to break it.  Worse comes to worse I will cut the carpet down the center and slide it under the console.  Any thoughts? :flame:

did you remove the set screw completely?

expdchief

Yes the set screw is completely removed

expdchief

OK I'll try removing the shifter then.  The knob turns but thats it

A383Wing

you will need to unscrew the knob to the left about 10 times for the push button to unscrew from the shifter cable

stripedelete

I went the disassemble route.  After all that, the shifter (1969 shifter)still wouldn't pass through the top plate.  So I sacrificed the the button.   If I had it to do over, I would have turned it upside down and shot it with some on PB Blaster.  The threaded end of the cable, in the knob, is aluminum or cheap metal and kind of fuses/rusts to the plastic.
(There is a name for it it with aluminum, but, I can't remember it. )  I recently had the same situation with the aluminum pressure button/primer on an old outboard tank.  It cut the crud pretty quick.

I know it's frustrating.  All my console/shifter bright work and mechanism was mint so I found it pretty hard to believe I had the issue.  Good Luck.

expdchief