News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 3-spoke wood grain steering wheel?

Started by Danacus, September 14, 2016, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danacus

Hello all,

I'm having a GL built and I requested that it have the 3-spoke wood grain steering wheel. The builder says that all the originals are cracked, but he can have one of the originals restored at a cost of $400, but he mentions that it will be painted brown or painted wood grain, my choice. Were these original steering wheels wood grain or painted to look like wood grain? Are there any reproduction wheels that are real wood grain?

Also, did these "fancier" steering wheels have to be special ordered back in '69 or did they come with the SE or RT package?

Thanks.
Dana

NOWIFE

The 69 charger came with a sorta dark wood wheel, simulated of course.  They were not standard, but were common.  there was no sales code on the fender tag, but was called out on the build sheet.   They are gorgeous wheels.  Similar wheels were used on "a" bodies and were very often black plastic with a pebble type grain.  Spokes and all were the same.   A good friend mine has had 2 restored recently and they really turned out nice.   Since your car is most likely going to be a nice driver, I'd go that route.   I just sold a 70 wood wheel for 1200.00 and that's on the low scale in regards to value/price. It is a pristine wheel, better than most NOS I've seen.

Just 6T9 CHGR

The S81 Woodgrain wheel came standard with the A41 White Hat Special option package as well as the A47 Special Edition.  All other models it was an optional cost.

Like NOWIFE stated the '69 wheels were a bit darker in color...the '70's were lighter

I have the same 1970 style Drivers Ed Simulator wheel on my '69  The original wheels were a "cast" woodgrain that you can feel....not a smooth painted finish.  Sorry the pic is so large....just wanted to show the detail.

I sold about 12 of those wheels over time.....

They do/did reproduce the wheels though.  Biggest issue was the fact that on the repor wheels the spokes were too shiny chromed....the original were a satin finish

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

whitehatspecial

Also came with the 68 white hat special package.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Danacus

Thanks for the reply's guys; it's a big help.

kpkube

Who does the best resto on these and how much to do it. I have 2 to restore.

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC