News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DAYTONA rear defroster

Started by 65post, April 17, 2006, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

I was just wondering how many daytonas that were shipped north had the rear window defroster  ( my old 423239  had one ) .These  being mostly sales bank cars though I guess they probably had them just by chance.They might have worked well on the ordinary charger but with the flush back glass of the XX cars they were useless.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

BigBlockSam

my daytona replica has a rear window defroster but i haven't used it yet  :shruggy:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

WINGMAN

My 69 500 has factory rear defroster, my Daytona did not. It only clears the top part of the rear glass. My 500 was sold new in Medford OR and i think it was a orderd that way as that is a cooler up there than most other parts of the U.S. also it hase a 22 inch radiator. The air intake for the defrost has four holes in a diamond pattern, I spoke with G.G. and he told me that was correct and that he thought that only three or four 500 came with rear defrost. :icon_smile_cool:  JR.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

I'm not sure how many 500's or Daytona's came with a rear window defroster. 4 seesm awfully low to me, but could be right  I don't know. Its not something that is on the fender tag, so without a buidlsheet there is no way to know for sure. I don't have that many buildsheets for 500's to compare it to.

I know of quite a few Daytona's on the other hand that have rear window defrosters though.

Ghoste

That usually just means that there are only 3 or 4 that GG has personally seen and given his stamp of authenticity to.

69_500

I really can't think of too many 500's that I've seen over the years with a rear window defroster. Seems that a lot more of the Daytona's had them than the 500's. Could be because I think that every Canadian Daytona I've seen has had a rear window defroster. I think that Tim Welbourne's HEMI 500 has a rear window defroster but I could be mistaken.

WINGMAN

Well any way dam few have them.  I drove the tona to work today , fun going through K F Cs drive through but i sure need a cup holder.  :icon_smile_cool:  JR
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

Your definately right on that one, that not very many of them had the rear window defroster. Question, was the rear window defroster that popular of an option on a standard Charger?

arrow

Quote from: 69_500 on April 21, 2006, 06:48:49 PM
Your definately right on that one, that not very many of them had the rear window defroster. Question, was the rear window defroster that popular of an option on a standard Charger?

All three of my Chargers have it - 69 500 , 69 RT , 70 RT-SE

69_500

Not sure if I've talked to you about your 500 or not there arrow.

I'm always looking for new 500 owners to talk to about their cars, and to gather more information on these cars.

Ghoste

Hey Danny, as a Canadian driver and as a Mopar and especially Charger freak for a couple of decades and a bit now, I can tell you that damned few of any of them came around here with defrosters.  That isn't just Mopars but cars from that era in general.

69_500

Ghoste, in your past have you noticed that quite a few of the Canadian Daytona's had rear window defrosters?

Moparmatty

Ours doesn't have the rear defroster.
Matt Tebbutt
Ontario, Canada

Ghoste

To be honest Danny, by the time I started to pay close attention to Daytona's up here, most of them were imports from the good ole U.S. of A.
I was referring more to Mopars in general up here and not seeing many with rear defrost from that era.

69_500

I see what your saying. I haven't ever really payed too much attention to small options like the rear window defroster and such. Same goes for what cars actually came with the AM/FM radio, or the AM 8 track.

Magnumcharger

My 1968 Charger R/T has a rear defroster, and also came with the block heater(s)....sold new in Manitoba.
Ghoste....where are you located?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Ghoste

Southwestern Ontario close to the Detroit border.  I'm actually further south than Detroit.

PocketThunder

I have one laying around that i'm not gonna use if you want to buy it.   the motor needs to be rebuilt though.  It came out of my '69 SE parts car.

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

nascarxx29

I also have a rear window defogger set up from a 70 body parts car
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

JimShine

They are not really common in the standard Chargers, but not really rare either.

Something to keep in mind concerning 1969 model years is to convert it accurately, it takes a bit of work as the switch is mounted in the dash by the heater controls. The factory dash core is similar to one found in the convertables and has a large round hole stamped out for the switch assembly. So, one would have to very carefully cut the metal to make it look like it was stamped, or find a rear defogger/convertable dash core that has all the same specs as their dash (Ralley gauge, speaker config, etc), then they would have to swap the VIN tag over and make it look factory.