News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight conundrum

Started by will, September 22, 2016, 05:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will

I replaced my headlight switch with a new one because the old one went kaput. Now when I put the headlights on the doors open and the headlights come on, but they go out after a few seconds. I have the halo type light bulbs with no relay, straight thru the switch. The parking lights stay on. The tail lights are good, this is for a 68 charger. I haven't pulled the meter out yet, where should I start? I don't feel like taking the dash apart, although I'm becoming a professional dash remover. I also had the dimmer switch rebuilt while I had the dash apart last time.

cdr

did you get a new aftermarket one ? made in chincheena junk, mine did the same thing, took the good guts from my old switch & put them in the new shinny casing.

even still you need a relay set up.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dino

Agreed, get an original switch and install relays. Actually just do the headlight mod and be done with it.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

b5blue

You are tripping the switch's internal breaker.

will

Thanks guys, I kinda figured there was some type of reset inside the switch. I have all intentions of the relay mod, but there are other things in the pipeline before I get to it. I'm gonna try and find an original switch and swap over the shiny parts, thanks again.