News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High RPM

Started by D69charger, October 01, 2016, 10:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D69charger

How high is revving
too high for a 440 stroker.... 4.15 stroke?

BSB67

Are you asking at what rpm will there be catastrophic failure of the rotating assembly?  Is this a constant rpm application?  What is your application?  and why are you asking?

How much power you are making matters, and the parts you use make the difference.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

As russ said, parts and application are the key here. The 572 launches at 6k and turns 7600 through the traps but it was purpose built for it and done it for 12 years now with only freshen ups with 1 exception of a failed rod bolt due to the circumstances beyond our control. I doubt a 440 source kit would last to that kind of abuse.

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 02, 2016, 08:28:20 AM
As russ said, parts and application are the key here. The 572 launches at 6k and turns 7600 through the traps but it was purpose built for it and done it for 12 years now with only freshen ups with 1 exception of a failed rod bolt due to the circumstances beyond our control. I doubt a 440 source kit would last to that kind of abuse.

What cylinder heads?

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on October 02, 2016, 07:04:40 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 02, 2016, 08:28:20 AM

What cylinder heads?

440-1's with port work. I do not have flow numbers, just the dyno sheets. Changing it this winter to the 572-13s. Should really wake it up.

https://youtu.be/2ciFpx9QaxQ

D69charger

440 bored .40 with 4.15 stroke crank... edlebrock rpm heads, comp cam thumper series hyd roller, ross racing pistons.  The reason i asked is because i accidentally bumped neutral when shifting it to drive and buzzed it to 7000 rpm.  I dont think i hurt anything but this being my first mopar im not sure what mopar big blocks can handle for rpm before castrophic failure

garner7555

If it didn't blow apart then you may very well be fine.  HAHA   If it were me then I would just keep a close eye on the oil pressure for a short while to make sure that one of the bearings wasn't damaged (spun slightly).   If it's not making strange noise and oil pressure stays consistent then I wouldn't worry, however I would consider a new shifter or rev limiter, perhaps both.    :2thumbs:   :yesnod:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

BSB67

you're fine.

Plus, what you do otherwise?

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

The hydraulic cam will probably float before you do any bottom end damage. Install a rev limiter.

D69charger

it was holding 80 psi oil pressure and the motor was acting very responsive.  I just have a noise coming from somewhere.  Can the torque converter bolts rattle loose?

BSB67

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

D69charger

Had a friend come help me track down the noise and it is a failed hydraulic lifter.   :brickwall:

c00nhunterjoe

Common problem any more. What brand?

68-XS29

I had a failed hydraulic lifter that was brand new from a mopar purple shaft kit just this spring. Fortunately it happened to be the #1 cyl exhaust lifter, so I was able to remove the distributor and fish it out and a new one in with a telescoping magnet through the distributor hole without removing the intake.

D69charger