News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vinyl top - Yes or no?

Started by krigel, October 02, 2016, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

I have a 68 Charger, 331 red, with a white vinyl top. Just about to go into paint, and I'm torn about putting the top back on. I think they look way tougher without the vinyl. It has a numbers 383 and 727, stock white interior, but a full hotchkis suspension. Not much else will deviate from stock. Should I put the top back on, or leave it off.

johnnycharger

Do you plan to keep it forever? If so make it yours.  If you think you may sell it later go stock....

Lennard

Both my 68 and 69 Charger originally had a vinyl top. They both won't get them back after the resto.  I don't think a vinyl top looks good and I always wonder what is hiding under it... rust? bondo?

krigel

How tough are they to put on later? I know there are holes to drill, but can you put it on later to sell it if it makes a huge difference in price?

Laowho

I wonder what would happen if you just left it up to a vote. For the 70s it shows 91% paid $100 for them, and I've read that they were cheaper to put on than painting (dunno if that's true). Ours is growin on the family despite my (repeated) requests to leave it off after paint, AND I don't like them as moisture traps. Good luck deciding on the fake convertible top. Maybe I'll paint a fake vinyl roof.

Mopar Nut

Chargers look better without the vinyl tops in my opinion.

:Twocents:

More aerodynamic too!    :icon_smile_big:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

68X426

Quote from: krigel on October 02, 2016, 10:14:22 PM
I think they look way tougher without the vinyl.

You are correct.  Everything will look better - the chrome, the trim, the paint, the wheels - without the visual distraction of vinyl.

And you gain 25 horsepower as well.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

garner7555

I deleted the vinyl top on my car.   If I ever wanted it back on the I could put it over the paint.   I never plan on putting it back on.   :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

GOTWING

I like them on second gen chargers, I like how it helps define the beautiful roof line around the back area.

charger_fan_4ever

Guess i'm in the minority. I prefer the vinyl top on 2nd gens. Gator grain 70  :drool5:

Laowho

Doesn't it depend on the color too? I'm kinda of the impression that w/ B5 Blue we're right on the border...any darker and the vinyl kinda obsolesces, and any lighter and it kinda helps. Then again, watch Bullitt and you'll almost forget that there's vinyl on top. Figure we're screwed either way...but a lot may depend on what we find underneath when we skin it. Also plan on layin paint over black primer to darken it, and will be more free to leave it off if so inclined.

5hunert

I'm from the minority that feel Gen 2 Chargers look naked without a vinyl top.  R4 red with a black vinyl top will always get me going.

Tom68

Put me down for a yes.  I think the 2nd gen chargers are one of the only cars every made that look good with one. With the huge amount of roof area with the sails and all, I think they do look naked without one.

krigel

If my interior were black, I'd put on a black top no question. The issue is a white interior. The white top overpowers the red, the wheels, and the stance. Just trying to justify if it's worth the extra dough to paint the roof or just go back to vinyl.

GOTWING

Finish the car with out it, stand back see what ya think, you can always ad it. Or spread a white bed sheet over it when it's done and pretend it's a vinyl top to see if you like it. :D

tan top

Quote from: GOTWING on October 03, 2016, 08:13:18 AM
I like them on second gen chargers, I like how it helps define the beautiful roof line around the back area.

:iagree:

second generations  look awesome with & with out a vinyl top ,  :drool5:  
I prefer  the look of a vinyl top , enhances the shape imo  :yesnod:  
if the car was coded for a vinyl top , I would put one  back on  ,   if it never had one from the factory ! would never put one on  :scratchchin: :P.. :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JR

Personally, I think brightly colored second gens work well with a vinyl roof. You're looking at 18 feet of uninterrupted bright red paint without it.

My 70 is bright yellow, and the black top is a nice contrast to the FY1. The two tone effect is nice too.

But you could always paint the whole car, then decide once its done. It's not hard to add the roof later.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Back N Black

I have triple black charger and love the vinyl top.  :2thumbs:

alfaitalia

No vinyl for me.....I just think they look so much better without them....as it's far from a permanent mod to delete it, it can easily be added back on. To me it interrupts the flow of the lines from the roof to the trunk. On a restomod or pro tourer it just looks wrong and I'm trying to get a modern twist on a classic shape. Nothing modern about a vinyl roof imo. Be hey, each to their own and if it's a b body Charger it's all good...vinyl or not!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

charge69

I struggled with the decision to go back with a vinyl top or make it a slick-body but, in the end, a decision was made to put one back on the Charger.  I really do like it with the R6 Red body but could really like it without one also.

I guess because mine came with one from the factory, I made the decision to go back with one.  I like the Charger with or without one.

krigel

Because it is just about re drilling some holes to attach the trim, I'm going to go without, and then add it in if I need to for re sale down the road. The just look meaner without white vinyl. Thanks for all of your input.

Laowho

Quote from: krigel on October 04, 2016, 07:44:22 PM
Because it is just about re drilling some holes to attach the trim, I'm going to go without, and then add it in if I need to for re sale down the road. The just look meaner without white vinyl. Thanks for all of your input.

With the possible sole exception of triple black, hard to disagree. Lotta good points here, and they've all made me live better with ours (that "canvas sails" bit was smart and I'll use it when it comes up next time), but they're all rationalizations. Also think they take away from the haunches, and no doubt that's where some of the meanness sits, and why with triple black you lose the least of it.

krigel

Totally agree. Triple black looks great with a vinyl top. White just takes too much attention from everything else.

Cheers,

KR

CRW-FK5

Quote from: krigel on October 03, 2016, 01:07:25 PM
If my interior were black, I'd put on a black top no question. The issue is a white interior. The white top overpowers the red, the wheels, and the stance. Just trying to justify if it's worth the extra dough to paint the roof or just go back to vinyl.
I agree with you.  My personal preference is black vinyl.  White seems a little more luxury than performance.  And I think I actually prefer no vinyl over white vinyl.  Certainly just my opinion, though.  For me, it's what I was used to.  You may get used to a white vinyl top.  As said, from a value (resale) standpoint you are better off going with what it came with.

If you can live with keeping the vinyl top trim pieces at the base of the C-pillar along with a painted top, then I would do as some have suggested and paint the whole car including top and evaluate if you want to add the top later.  You do see some cars with painted tops and the trim pieces.  Not sure I like it but may be an alternative.

Good luck.