News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 door sills

Started by whitehatspecial, October 11, 2016, 08:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitehatspecial

Has anyone restored original aluminum sills? Mine are in good shape (no dents) but could use some cleaning/ polishing.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

69bfan

These pieces were not a bright shiny aluminum like the E-Body or 71-74 B-Body applications.  Some of the reproductions are the shiny aluminum, but that is not correct if you are wanting them to be correct.  If you prefer the shiny look, then buy a new set of them.  For your originals, just wash down and clean with something like Never Dull and you will be fine.  Really nice un-dinged originals are very difficult to find.  Many of them will have oxidation and become chalky and have basically a pitted finish.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

whitehatspecial

Thanks for the advice. I agree 100% with you and don't want to over-restore the car. The rest of the interior is original/ unrestored, so I like your idea. Maybe I'll hit them with some 320 or finer to get some of the bigger scratches out then use the never dull. I'll post some before and after pics.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.