News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How far to trim the sides of carpet on sills.......

Started by igozumn, October 21, 2016, 11:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

igozumn

Ok, so, for the first time since it came off the assembly line, my car will have new carpet.  When I brought the car home, some 25 years ago, I used the 3 year old black A/T floor shift carpet out of my previous '69.  And it was pretty much just thrown in there.  Didn't fit around the 4 speed hump and had a hole about the size of the hump.  I had installed that carpet in my old Charger back in '89, and I've slept once or twice since then, LOL.  I'm still looking for the sill plates out of that car, but if I have to buy new ones, I will.  But, question.  Whenever I round up sill plates, should the carpet be trimmed to fit over the rocker seam so the sill plate covers/locks it, or trim it to just inside the seam, so that it doesn't actually go over the flange and keep everything thinner/lower profile?  Had to run some bolts down through the rusty gas pedal for now.   :icon_smile_big:

A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."

johnnycharger

I don't know what the "official " way of doing it is but when I did mine I brought it right up to the seam but not over it.
Member Twodco was nice enough to come help me.

whitehatspecial

My originals went under the sill plate about 3/4". I am in the process of replacing my carpeting now and have done the same with the new carpet. I also tucked it behind the toe space panels. The tricky part is trimming the carpet just right where the sill plate extensions sit on the rear area. Your cuts have to be very accurate there so those little strips cover the edges of the carpet.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

igozumn

Yeah, I've got it trimmed pretty close.  Left it long over the seam for right now.  Just need to get the plates so I can finish it up.
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but underpants made from saran wrap.  The psychiatrist says, "Well....I can clearly see your nuts...."