News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to manually open headlight doors?

Started by 1batt4u, October 23, 2016, 05:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1batt4u

Hi all,

How do you manually open up the headlight doors? Pictures if possible.

Thank you!!

1batt4u

70 sublime

Just lift on the door and they will open
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Lennard

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 23, 2016, 06:26:17 PM
Just lift on the door and they will open
Yes, no pictures necessary.  Just open them by hand.

1batt4u

Thank you guys!   :2thumbs:

I've owned 2 third generation Trans Ams and a Fourth generation, they had knobs to manually open if the motors failed. Thought it was sort of the same.

70 sublime

68 and 69 charger is vacuum 70 Charger are electric doors
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Troy

Quote from: 1batt4u on October 23, 2016, 06:43:31 PM
Thank you guys!   :2thumbs:

I've owned 2 third generation Trans Ams and a Fourth generation, they had knobs to manually open if the motors failed. Thought it was sort of the same.
Yeah, I had a Fiero. Those electric doors were fun...

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

QuoteYeah, I had a Fiero. Those electric doors were fun..

Ugh, plastic gears with electric motors. 

The concept is right up there with plastic radiator tanks.

1batt4u

I currently have my car stored in my garage. I went to it and tried lifting the headlight doors they go up but come back down. Feels like I am forcing them to go up. Is the car supposed to be on when doing this??

birdsandbees

Means you have a good vacuum can!  :2thumbs: My Superbird lights stay down for over a decade....
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

1batt4u

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 27, 2016, 10:14:48 PM
Means you have a good vacuum can!  :2thumbs: My Superbird lights stay down for over a decade....

Ok. I was told the headlight wiring need to be connected when I bought the car. I guess I just figure that out and they will work.

Thank you!!  :2thumbs:

Troy

You should be able to move them up and down. Hopefully there is resistance - but not mechanical! They are operated by vacuum so it's about like sucking a milkshake through a straw. It will be semi-difficult but works with steady, even pressure. If the vacuum system is sealed, the doors should stay up but they can bleed down over time. If they drop immediately that's not a good sign. It could just be dry rotted rubber hoses (they go a long way). Otherwise, it could be the vacuum "pods" themselves that are on the doors. These are more expensive and hard to repair. Lastly the canister under the battery tray could have pinholes or a loose connector. Luckily, these are being reproduced now.

The wiring only makes the lights go off/on. This is mostly independent of the doors. My first Charger had a goobered up vacuum system so I could turn the lights on with the doors closed.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

UFO

Instead of forcing the door open why not just disconnect one of the hoses on the pots behind the door. Top hose is the easiest to get at. Reconnect after you open the doors if the rest of the system is still connected. Other wise you will have a vacuum leak.

Just 6T9 CHGR

There is a small metal strip on the vacuum pod bracket that is formed to "wedge" the headlight door rod in the open position when the doors are manually operated as well....   :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T