News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW - NOS trunk seal, was for my Daytona - looking for a real price

Started by odcics2, October 26, 2016, 03:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I bought this in the early 90s at the MoPar Nats with intention of using it on my Daytona, XX29L8B383272.  I had a TON of NOS parts for that car...
That being said, what's a fair price for it today, since the 88 doesn't use a trunk weatherstrip, I don't need this part.
A guy on ebay is asking $3,500. (auction # 252386404371)

What's a real price that I should ask for it?  Thanks.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

62 Max

That fits more than the Daytona,also Superbird,Roadrunner,Charger and a host of others,couldn't justify that price.When I bought this for my bird in 1994 it was $65.00

birdsandbees

Jesus, Mary and Joseph... maybe I should have gingerly removed the original from my 'Bee before the guys media blasted it and asked $1750 used!  :lol: :lol:

If I based the price on buying NOS, in the box, tail lenses this week for my 'Bee (that aren't reproduced either)....  I'd say at max 5x what a reproduction seal sells at.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ws23rt

Let's not forget that asking prices are- not- selling prices.

Mopar John

Greg,
Does it have any corners molded into it or is it as it just came off a roll?
If it's a molded piece it would be specific to that trunk opening.
The NOS one I bought for the B5 Daytona was $200.00 back in 2008.
MJ

69bfan

All of the ones that I have had the chance to touch over the past 30 years were molded for a variety of cars as they were cut from a roll of material.  The originals to your car were actually cut based on the lips of the trunk's rain gutter.  I have not seen or heard one for sell in the past 8 to 10 years.  The last one that I bought was probably 12 years ago and it cost me I believe $750 which I thought was stupid money.  A friend bought one for his Super Bird approximately a year later for the same amount of money and within a year of putting it on his car, the seal started to split in two corners.  As for cost, I still believe that $750 to $1250 would be a decent price for someone looking to have to have an NOS piece on their car.  I know that there is a reproduction in the works with the part numbers and logo which is not 100% correct, but for 98% of the people, it will work fine for a tenth of the cost.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on October 26, 2016, 06:51:27 PM
Greg,
Does it have any corners molded into it or is it as it just came off a roll?
If it's a molded piece it would be specific to that trunk opening.
The NOS one I bought for the B5 Daytona was $200.00 back in 2008.
MJ

John- It appears to have some corners. Hard to say for sure, since it was coiled up all the time I have had it - about 26 years.

62 Max

Check the length,if it was molded to fit,it will be correct,if it needs trimming it is roll material.

moparnation74

Gregg, I have the one off of my 69 GTX and I lucked out because it is near mint...If you want I can measure the length of that this evening.

odcics2

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 27, 2016, 07:53:42 AM
Gregg, I have the one off of my 69 GTX and I lucked out because it is near mint...If you want I can measure the length of that this evening.

Sounds good. Thanks.

1RareBird

I would think it could bring $1,500-$2,000 for a gold standard car. If you need one, you need one.
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

Mopar John

Greg,
Here is some better information for you.
The date and price I posted above was for an NOS door opening weatherstrip.
My first attachment shows an invoice dated 1-25-10 from AMS Obsolete.
This is the company Frank Mitchell is with now.
You will see two NOS weatherstrips on the invoice both priced at $495.00.
The 2839149 part number would be for the 1969 Dodge Charger and I'm not sure what the 2529729 was?
But Frank shipped me both and I had my choice.
I kept the 2839149 and installed it on the B5 Daytona.
If the weatherstrip came off the roll it had the general part number 2482852 every so often on the outside.
You will see on my second attachment that if the weatherstrip was molded for a specific vehicle it had a ink stamp with the part number at the end on the back side.
The one in the second attachment is the one on the B5 Daytona where we didn't glue it so I could display the part number.
MJ

69bfan

If you should look at any original Mopar from 1966 up through 1970, no matter the body style, the extrusion carries the part number 2482582.  The earlier cars has the part number with "BF" for BF Goodrich molded into the extrusion.  It carries a larger font than the style pictured above with the DP CD molded into the extrusion with the part number.  I do not know about the 63 to 65 cars as they carry the same profile.  This profile was used from 1963 through 1970 with the inner lip.  I know that 1962 was a one year only extrusion for the B-Bodies as that was the first year of the B-Bodies as we know them and they are quite different from the 63 to 65 B-Bodies.  Then with 1970 E-Bodies no needing the inner lip, another extrusion came about.  Unless you were very lucky, most of the NOS pieces are the extrusions that will require some trimming to fit the particular trunk.  If you should look at a 69 Dart, Charger, Road Runner, Coronet or Polara, they all have the same extrusion with the same part number.  The difference being the way in which the originals were trimmed for each distinct body style and it's rain gutters.
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

birdsandbees

You guys certainly have me wishing that I'd peeled mine carefully before my 'Bee went for media blast and body work!  :'(
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

62 Max

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 30, 2016, 08:15:32 PM
You guys certainly have me wishing that I'd peeled mine carefully before my 'Bee went for media blast and body work!  :'(

A heat gun from underneath will do wonders. ;D

birdsandbees

Yah.. wish I had but they wanted all seals on when it left to verify body fit before disassembly. Never would have thought I should have saved that.. oh well it's spilt milk now..  :pity:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

62 Max

Quote from: Mopar John on October 30, 2016, 12:40:53 PM
Greg,
The 2839149 part number would be for the 1969 Dodge Charger and I'm not sure what the 2529729 was?
If the weatherstrip came off the roll it had the general part number 2482852 every so often on the outside.
You will see on my second attachment that if the weatherstrip was molded for a specific vehicle it had a ink stamp with the part number at the end on the back side.
The one in the second attachment is the one on the B5 Daytona where we didn't glue it so I could display the part number.
MJ

Before and after Frank sold his business having a history of "extremely" high prices on N.O.S. parts ,realistically a fair price would have probably been 1/2 of his asking price.I priced a N.O.S. tailgate stainless trim for my 62 Savoy wagon,50" x 9/16",$525,ended up with the same from Arizona Parts for $125. ::)

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on October 30, 2016, 12:40:53 PM
Greg,
MJ

Thanks, John.  Looks like a guy could make up an ink stamp for a weatherstrip with the molded in part number and trim to size for his requirements...   :yesnod:
I guess it's supply and demand at work:  Worth one price to a a Slant Six Dart owner and a different price to a guy with a Hemi 4 speed Daytona.
There are 9 folks watching the one for 3.5K on ebay. Wonder if anyone made an offer yet?  Also, is his ink stamped?? He does not show a pic if it is.