News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody use Goodmark quarters n wheel houses ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, October 29, 2016, 08:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Just wondering if you did how the fit was and I know the old saying ,you get what you pay for, least most of the time.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Lennard

I had a Goodmark quarter skin and tossed it because it didn't fit one bit. Then I bought AMD and they weren't perfect but way better.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Lennard on October 29, 2016, 08:29:20 PM
I had a Goodmark quarter skin and tossed it because it didn't fit one bit. Then I bought AMD and they weren't perfect but way better.

The stuff back in the 90's was bad,I used it but I wondered if the new stuff was better. I need to go full quarters on mine this time.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Lennard

My advice is to go with AMD. In the end it will be cheaper.

Mike DC

I think the AMD stuff is worth it for the steel alone.  You can feel the difference in your bare hands. 

The physical thickness measurement might not be a lot different between the two.  But the AMD steel quality is much more substantial.  It feels stiffer & colder & heavier. 

green69rt

I used a AMD quarter and a goodmark outer wheel house on one side, both AMD on the other.  AMD stuff worked well together, the Goodmark outer wheel well did not mate up well with the AMD quarter nor the original inner well.  Took extra work to make it fit.  I used what I did because of the timing of availability of the parts years ago.  Who knows how things fit now :shruggy:

Dreamcar

Wheelhouses yes...Goodmark and Sherman come from the same factory. The test fitting has gone well so far but I haven't tried with the new AMD quarters yet. I didn't see any major differences between these and the originals.

Quarters...I bought AMD just because they are a major outside panel and I know even though they won't be perfect, they'll be the best. Apparently, the Restorer's Choice panels from Classic Industries are AMD as well. My new quarters will be test fitted soon.

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

green69rt

Quote from: Dreamcar on October 31, 2016, 11:15:26 AM
Wheelhouses yes...Goodmark and Sherman come from the same factory. The test fitting has gone well so far but I haven't tried with the new AMD quarters yet. I didn't see any major differences between these and the originals.

Quarters...I bought AMD just because they are a major outside panel and I know even though they won't be perfect, they'll be the best. Apparently, the Restorer's Choice panels from Classic Industries are AMD as well. My new quarters will be test fitted soon.

When you test fit the quarters, don't forget to fit up the rear quarter extensions (those boomarang shaped things that go on the end.)   The profile of the quarter has to fit the profile of the extension, if it doesn't it's really obvious once the car is finished and hard to correct once the quarter is welded in place.

Dreamcar

Quote from: green69rt on October 31, 2016, 04:32:30 PM

When you test fit the quarters, don't forget to fit up the rear quarter extensions (those boomarang shaped things that go on the end.)   The profile of the quarter has to fit the profile of the extension, if it doesn't it's really obvious once the car is finished and hard to correct once the quarter is welded in place.

Sure will. Thanks
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Highbanked Hauler

Being older than dirt I did collision work back in the 70S and I can assure you that fitting quarter panels is nothing new. I am just wondering if Goodmark is catching up with AMD.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Pat1973charger

My amd full quarters fit up fairly well to the goodmark outer wheelhouse, I have an original outer wheelhouse on the right side and I will say as of right now on intial trial fit the OE wheelhouse matched the quarter noticeably better.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Pat1973charger on November 04, 2016, 07:45:02 PM
My amd full quarters fit up fairly well to the goodmark outer wheelhouse, I have an original outer wheelhouse on the right side and I will say as of right now on intial trial fit the OE wheelhouse matched the quarter noticeably better.

I figured that would be the general consensus. Goodmarks are considerably less expensive and I am going to do some surgery to it for tall tire clearance anyway.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger_fan_4ever

After doing everything AMD on my 70, literally most all of the metal. I wouldn't be afraid to try goodmark if a fair bit cheaper. AMD you will need to remake the rear window lower corners and the seam at the dutchman. For the end caps we cut them up and added a section to them to make them fit instead of hacking at the 1/4 panel.

Yes the AMD metal is thick. Is it anywhere near straight with straight body lines ? NO not even close. My 70 we had to remake the passengers side marker hole it wasn't even perpendicular to the body line  :rotz

35 hours on passengers side to get on paint after the metal work was done.