News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Council be her first light switch for shifter

Started by charger chris, November 02, 2016, 08:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger chris

I have a 70 Dodge charger and was wondering if I need a reverse light switch for my Council shifter?  :scratchchin:
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

70 sublime

The reverse light switch is the center wire of the 3 wires that comes off the transmission
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

charger chris

Kool thank you that's what I thought. I just didn't under stand why there is a reverse back up light switch on the council shifter.
i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

70 sublime

Quote from: charger chris on November 02, 2016, 10:22:49 AM
Kool thank you that's what I thought. I just didn't under stand why there is a reverse back up light switch on the council shifter.

68 shifters had them there and only 2 wires off the transmission
I think the newer stuff still had the mounting holes but just never used them for anything
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

charger chris

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 02, 2016, 12:06:41 PM
Quote from: charger chris on November 02, 2016, 10:22:49 AM

68 shifters had them there and only 2 wires off the transmission
I think the newer stuff still had the mounting holes but just never used them for anything

68 only has one wire from the transmission on the automatic, all it does is connect to the starter relay ground tab so the car will not start in gear. The reverse lights are turned on by the switch on the shift mechanism below the handle. I think they eventually plug into the harness just behind the bulkhead under the dash if I remember correctly. Kind of an angle shaped 2 prong plug, Purple and White wires going into it and connects to the console harness wiring??

John_Kunkel

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on November 02, 2016, 12:19:29 PM
68 only has one wire from the transmission on the automatic,

Up to May 15, 1968...after that they used the later 3-prong NSS.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 02, 2016, 01:25:09 PM
Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on November 02, 2016, 12:19:29 PM
68 only has one wire from the transmission on the automatic,

Up to May 15, 1968...after that they used the later 3-prong NSS.

Good to know, thank you  :cheers:

charger chris

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone