News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What type of sandblaster media?

Started by Old School, August 10, 2005, 07:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old School

This is the first time I have ever sandblasted anything and would like to hear some opinions as to what is the best type of media. I have tried aluminum oxide works great but at $30 for twenty five pounds, its a little to pricey end up on the garage floor. I have also tried what is called Black Diamond, not very garage friendly and it didn't work very well either. Any other suggestions for something that works well and will not break the bank?

Thanks for any help.

Drop Top

The cheapest is sand.  ??? Thats why its called sand blasting.  ;) Just be careful. If you are blasting sheet metal your going to warp it. If you are going to do this to sheet metal then use a fine sand and use just enough air pressure to do the job. Keep the nozzle at least a foot away and do it at an angle. This will lesson the chance of warping the metal. Anything other then sand and its going to be expensive. It would be cheaper to take it somewhere and have it done.

Old School

Ok. Thanks. So where do I get this fine sand? I've tried sifting play sand but that didn't work to well. Other wise I haven't
been able to find just fine sand anywhere. I live in Minnesota have tried Northern Tool And Harbor Freight No luck.
Any other places to buy this stuff?

doitmopar

::)I get my sand from a masonary supply co that supplies brick layers and such trades.They have 5 differant grades of sand.That might be a start for you!

beenaround

look for a place that sells "black beauty" you want the extra fine grade.out here ace hardware carrys it.9.00 for a 100 lb bag.pm me if you need more help.

Old School

Thanks for the help guys. I found some at Menards. $5 for 50lbs. Black Beauty.