News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bulkhead Wire ID

Started by VTMopar, November 10, 2016, 11:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTMopar

My recently restored Charger has an annoying wiring gremlin......   once in a while (very sporadic!)  -- upon starting she will turn over but then when I release the key, it will not stay running.    I thought it was the ballast resister and/or ignition switch - but after replacing and a lot of hair pulling, I've found that it is a poor connection in the Firewall Bulkhead connection.    I'm assuming it's the connection associated with the wire from the ignition ("run"_ that goes to the ballast resister?    When this happens, I pop the hood and jiggle the wires on the bulkhead and then she starts right off.    I've tried to be sure all the wires are firmly in their right place on the bulkhead connector..... But it occasionally still happens (and always at the wrong time!).   

Since all wires are wrapped up neatly -- I hate to disturb it too much and cause other issues -- so can someone tell (or show me) which connection on the bulkhead is the likely culprit that I should focus on?   

Thanks,

VT Mopar
VT Mopar

BLK 68 R/T

Assuming you have a 68 charger, as per your avatar? Connections N and Q on your engine harness plug should be Ign.1 and Ign. 2 check both sides of the connection at the firewall bulkhead connection.

VTMopar

Yep - '68 R/T....   Thanks, I think I understand this diagram.....    I'll check both sides of the connections.   I understand they can be fussy.....   

VT Mopar
VT Mopar

Troy

I installed a new engine wiring harness a while back and had the same issue. One of the crimps wasn't tight. It looked right but it wasn't always making contact. At the same time there was some looseness on the dash side too so it was mighty fun to troubleshoot!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.