News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3-speed wiper motor rebuild?

Started by rikubot, November 14, 2016, 10:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hello
I did not see any tutorials for a wiper motor rebuild on the site. It doesn't look like the most difficult job, but I'd love to get some tips or have something to follow along. Anyone have any tips or links?
'69 Charger, 440/727

A383Wing

rikubot

Thank you for the link. Do they sell a "do it yourself" kit? I looked around on there but all I could find were services and rebuilt units...
'69 Charger, 440/727

Bob

Chris "Topher" McGinnis
Topher@headlightmotorman.com
980-329-5938

Great guy and very reasonable.

gtx6970

Having tried to do one myself.
Take my advise send it to someone who knows them inside out ( Kim at Passion is my preference )

The wiring inside them is a pain to deal with ( runs from the switch plate to the end cap ,,inside the barrel )

ODZKing

And when it comes back it will look like this ... brand new

A383Wing

Quote from: ODZKing on November 15, 2016, 04:06:52 PM

and it will work correctly, unlike some that private people have claimed to rebuild

rikubot

That looks amazing! That brings on a whole other problem, it will looks too good for my engine bay!
'69 Charger, 440/727

ODZKing

Quote from: rikubot on November 15, 2016, 04:26:13 PM
That looks amazing! That brings on a whole other problem, it will looks too good for my engine bay!
Ha, it will give you something to shoot for    :drool5:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

rikubot

I got a hold of Topher. Seems like a great guy. Quoted me 250 shipped. I also sent a request for a quote to Passion4Mopars. Do you guys know if the "$200 repair" is for a full restoration, or just to get a broken unit working again?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: ODZKing on November 15, 2016, 04:06:52 PM

Do you remember what you paid for your unit or what they had to replace within it?
'69 Charger, 440/727

ODZKing

Quote from: rikubot on November 17, 2016, 06:53:22 PM
Do you remember what you paid for your unit or what they had to replace within it?
Well as I recall it was $175 ... BUT - I sent here my original motor plus 3 other non working motors as core which Kim gave me credit for. AND I was in no hurry so it went in with a batch, not a special order (meaning if you want yours back right away)
I believe it is $255.00 for a show quality rebuild ... I think.  Kim would be the one to ask.
She is quite helpful and very knowledgeable. She may even have one on the shelf same number as yours ... quick swap!

rikubot

Great info. I might have to go digging around the salvage yard here for some donors if it knocks the price down that much! I'm also not in any hurry. The wiring for the wiper has been jacked for the past 6-7 years, a couple more months isn't going to matter. And $255 is extremely reasonable to go through one of these things IMO
'69 Charger, 440/727

ODZKing

Quote from: rikubot on November 17, 2016, 09:43:05 PM
Great info. I might have to go digging around the salvage yard here for some donors if it knocks the price down that much! I'm also not in any hurry. The wiring for the wiper has been jacked for the past 6-7 years, a couple more months isn't going to matter. And $255 is extremely reasonable to go through one of these things IMO
Yes, if you send it and she has to rebuild it special, meaning not in a batch sent to the plating place as a bunch instead of separately, it will be $300 plus. Again ... I believe so don't quote me.
Call her and be sure she is still willing to accept core before you head to the yards. Some may be worth more than others as there were certain ones she had A LOT of.

Passion4Mopars

On a repair I pull the whole motor down and put new insulating sleeves on the wires with shrink wraps under them, check your gear, brushes, armature, test to make sure the armature is good and works well, check the windings so I'm sure you have three speeds, no broken wires or flaking varnish on the wires, grease the bushings in the brush cap and the housing, check your gear and the grease in the housing, clean up the motor the best I can without soaking and repainting, etc., put the motor back together so that it functions as it should and there are no bare wires, no dry bushings, no broken island, etc.  I just don't go through the soak, prime, paint or soak, acid dip, send out for plating routine like is done with the restorations.

Full restored motor with core exchange is on my website, along with special order resto, which is the restoration of your original motor with all original parts for your motor returned to your motor when the plated components are returned.

rikubot

Thank you for responding. The way I see it, if I'm going to send it in I might as well have it fully restored in the process. What's the turnaround on rebuilding a unit? I'd like to keep my parts if possible. Also, I'm not in a huge rush to get it back.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: ODZKing on November 17, 2016, 09:14:31 PM
Quote from: rikubot on November 17, 2016, 06:53:22 PM
Well as I recall it was $175 ... BUT - I sent here my original motor plus 3 other non working motors as core which Kim gave me credit for. AND I was in no hurry so it went in with a batch, not a special order (meaning if you want yours back right away)
I believe it is $255.00 for a show quality rebuild ... I think.  Kim would be the one to ask.
She is quite helpful and very knowledgeable. She may even have one on the shelf same number as yours ... quick swap!

I would have to imagine they must do 2 speed motors also ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

rikubot

The site doesn't have an option for that but I'll try to find out.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I got my motor back from Kim earlier this week and lemme tell ya it looks great. I opted for just a rewire and repair, but hot dog I am impressed. She sent me a new set of gaskets and hardware, too with the motor. Very nice person and very good work. Obviously cares about what she does. I'll upload a photo later, but in the meantime, do you guys have any tips for re-installing the motor? Or do I just bolt on the linkage then tighten it down?
'69 Charger, 440/727