News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steel replacement bodies

Started by superbirdtom, November 15, 2016, 01:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbirdtom

I was wondering if Dynacorn makes all of its body parts separate from AMD? you would think dynacorn would sell all those 70 challenger parts seperatly. I sure would like to see some kind of family tree type layout as to what parts that are identicle are made exactly where.  maybe theirs actually three different metal stamping factories that make  1970 dodge  challenger doors?   I still don't get why Dynacorn doesn't make 70 71 cuda bodies.   anyway enough blathering.

68 charger freak

I asked a rep from dynacorn he told me that they make the parts for amd,and that amd just slaps there name on the parts .then I talked to a amd distributor  (Nigel at national moparts ) he specializes in mopar restorations and resto parts, he Told me that there completely different and separate companies .he also said he had a pile of dynacorn sheet metal in the back of the body shop that doesn't fit.he explained that they needed parts for a restoration and that the parts he needed were on back order at amd, so in a pinch he ordered the dynacorn stuff. They ended up re ordering amd and it all fit
68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

Mike DC

Do those repro 1970 Challenger bodies really exist?  

I know it was announced & shown at SEMA.  But the body on display was rumored to be a vintage one because they didn't have new ones ready yet.  

I have never seen or heard of one since then.  Most of a decade has gone by now.  

superbirdtom

to dc and Charger freak. i saw the challenger body from dynacorn at sema a couple years ago and at sema last year they had some other car bodies but really just passed them by as you know too much to see and its a madhouse.  I know dynacorn has the camaro steel bodies in hardtop and convertible available I have no idea if theyve sold any of those.  That is interesting that the dynacorn parts ordered had a bad fit.   I really am wondering if Dynacorn is getting them stamped out in china and AMD is getting them stamped out in Taiwan. two totally different countries and qualities. Seems everyone has different answers.   also all the different vendors like year one stephens etc etc ,are these all from same place mabe ACME sheetmetal then rebranded for whomever.  I will say one thing is dynacorn if theyre making every single piece for a 70 challenger that is awesome as AMD only makes a limited ammount of parts. So I would order everything i could from AMD then supplement the other pieces from Dynacorn.  The price of rare mopars is way out of reach for most of us and it would be nice to make a hemi convertible of some sort you can actually drive.

HPP

Quote from: superbirdtom on November 15, 2016, 01:02:58 PM
 I still don't get why Dynacorn doesn't make 70 71 cuda bodies. 

Licensing. To FCA, Plymouth is a dead stick.

Mike DC

QuoteLicensing. To FCA, Plymouth is a dead stick.

I totally agree about Plymouth's future but there are plenty of Cuda repro parts.  Body shells are just bigger ones. 

There is demand for 68-70 Charger shells too.  With so many of them showing up in Hollywood lately I doubt that demand for the cars will drop any time soon.  Another generation is being raised to think they are badass. 

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

HPP

True, but Dynacorn has said repeatedly they will not produce Cudas or Chargers. IMO, the market for them would have to jump another 15-25% in price before they would even consider it, and then they would have the whole permission issue with FCA.

Mike DC

The respected sources used to say we would never see replacement Camaros & Mustangs either.  Or the kind of sheetmetal that we get from AMD now.  

The repro industry has a way of saying "It's never gonna be feasible" right up until stuff comes out.  

Fitz73Chrgr

I don't understand why there ARE repro Mustang bodies and there AREN'T repro Cuda bodies. 

Mustangs are still a dime a dozen relative to Mopar E-bodies.  I'd expect the E-body repros to be in higher demand.   :Twocents:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

superbirdtom

I called dynacorn when their Challenger came out and asked someone when the cuda bodies were coming out of course he said never. I wonder just how many Camaro and mustang bodies they have sold to date. I just went on their site and the challenger comes with no fenders or hood. I see now they have firebird bodies and even old chevy truck cabs. maybe they need to recoup a lot of investment before they put out something else. Sure would be nice to put out 68-70 charger bodies as dukes of hazard demolished so many.  Wow I just went to their online catalog and looked at challenger body parts and they have a ton of parts I did not expect like seat frame assemblies -park lamps- etc.  Its defiantly worth a look.

Mike DC

QuoteSure would be nice to put out 68-70 charger bodies as dukes of hazard demolished so many.

"Dukes" killed roughly 1 out of every 900 or 1000 of them.  It's not what made these cars rare.  

superbirdtom

Yes . it was in jest. I had my aircraft painting business in early mid 80,s at the Burbank airport Right down the street where this cruddy Body shop had dozens of Chargers in all states of disrepair and orange ones with Flag on top getting them ready for filming. have photos somewhere. + there was a wanted ad in the recycler constantly for 1968 to 1970 chargers wanted any condition. anyways I was just jesting maybe i should clarify that next time I speak.

Chargen69

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 20, 2016, 05:48:40 PM

QuoteSure would be nice to put out 68-70 charger bodies as dukes of hazard demolished so many.

"Dukes" killed roughly 1 out of every 900 or 1000 of them.  It's not what made these cars rare.  

RUST, racing and stupid drivers are what made them rare...  mostly the rust

Mike DC

QuoteYes . it was in jest. I had my aircraft painting business in early mid 80,s at the Burbank airport Right down the street where this cruddy Body shop had dozens of Chargers in all states of disrepair and orange ones with Flag on top getting them ready for filming. have photos somewhere. + there was a wanted ad in the recycler constantly for 1968 to 1970 chargers wanted any condition. anyways I was just jesting maybe i should clarify that next time I speak.

Sorry if I was snappy about it. 

It's just that lots of people aren't joking when they say that stuff.  Some people think 69 Chargers would literally still be $2000 beaters on every corner lot if it wasn't for the show.  It makes it hard to be a Dukes fan sometimes. 

If you've got pics of old GLs under construction or storage that would be pretty cool to see. 

superbirdtom

hey no biggie at all.   I think shop was on San Fernando road in sunland, as i would always cruise around the streets surrounding the airport looking for mopars as it was all mexican lower income neighborhoods which had cool cars that not many moparheads knew about, I found two RR a lime 383 4-speed one and a burnt orange 4 speed airgraber one oh and another lime green auto one which I bought for $400 with no title.  I stored them at my hangar there and thats where i also stored and redid my bird.  So were driving down san fernando an my buddy said look a bunch of Dukes chargers!. so we pulled over and I took some photos. What an idiot for not going up and actually talking to the shop and taking close up pics. But hey back then a hemi RR was 5k.
Down Sherman way where it dead ended at the airport was( Studio picture vehicles )that i passed every day going to the airport. It was funny to see lotsa cop cars on big car haulers all fixed up,then a week later the same trailer came back with them all smashed to bits.  I will defiantly look for the pics i took.  If you google dukes of hazzard cars all smashed up I just saw on pinterest a car hauler filled with dukes cars all ready to be beat to death.

Mike DC

Yeah it was just a very different time.  68/69 Chargers, mostly 318 & 383 autos, in that era . . . it would be like early-2000s V6/auto Mustangs today.  People buy & sell & junk those cars for cheap money all the time.  It wouldn't bother anyone if some TV show started smashing up 15-20 of them per season for a few years.  It would have no real effect on the supply of those cars 30 or 40 years later. 

In another 20 years people will probably be blaming Fast & Furious for why 1970 Chargers are rare.

6bblgt

1968 Chargers ~98,000 built
1969 Chargers ~90,000 built
1970 Chargers ~50,000 built

total ~240,000 * IF all the Dukes and F&F shows/movies destroyed ~1,000 cars collectively, that's ~0.4%

roughly 1/2 the number of 1969 Chargers that were OPTIONED with N88 - "auto pilot" (cruise control) & that's RARE

the love affair with Dukes saved more Chargers than it destroyed  :cheers: how many got destroyed on small town dirt tracks in the '70s?

the '68-'70 Charger IS a LEGEND because of DOH and its presence on NASCAR & dirt tracks across the country, not "in spite of".

Mike DC

Yes.

And even 1000 cars is a far overestimation.  I would bet a lot of money that the Dukes and F&F productions have not killed 350 Chargers total.

superbirdtom

There are a lot of chargers left as even on my island in Alaska (revillagigedo) there are 5 chargers 2 1968-1-1969- 2-1970,s  So that's a good indication.  + about 30 more mopars -a 70  383 cuda convert -aar cuda-70 super bee an r/t coronets-six pack challenger r/t - 69 gtx convert - 71 sixpack gtx--etc etc.

crj1968

What killed them and all cars of the era off is that they weren't worth anything at the time.
So a dead engine or a small collision put them to the crusher.

It still happens today. Some people just throw stuff away instead of fixing it.  I was at wrecking yard the other day looking for some stuff for my sons Jeep XJ.
There were a dozen of them in there, and half of them were complete and not physically damaged in any way.

"Golly gee, the Jeep wont start, guess we better get it towed to the junk yard."   :rotz:

Humanoids !   :slap:

500Jon

Hi CRJ,

Where is this yard with a DOZEN Chargers in??? :shruggy:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Lennard

Quote from: 500Jon on November 23, 2016, 11:44:01 AM
Hi CRJ,

Where is this yard with a DOZEN Chargers in??? :shruggy:
Uhhh, read his reply again.