News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Salt Flats Daytona article

Started by TiMopar, November 16, 2016, 08:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Kanofsky

I met the owner at our hotel parking lot in Alexander City last year, he is a great guy!
We spent the better part of an evening hearing the history of the car and his commitment for getting it road worthy and getting it to the Reunion.
Glad to see he is still enjoying it.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

white

Love the article. Thanks for posting it.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Just curious if this was a "known" Daytona with the long term storage?
I really like the color combo!
MJ

500Jon

Great find Tim!

My favourite color on my favourite car!!! :2thumbs:

I can understand keeping it original BUT...even a non-car sorta person would find some blue paint.

I find the $5400 loan to a guy with a bicycle hard to believe, I couldn't get a loan on a ten year Cortina for £500 in 1978... :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Even so, why put it on the SALT?
I have NIGHTMARES about Canadian Salt...
Its what wrecked my GTX, oh yeah and storing her in an English field did't help either lol... :slap:

5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

500Jon

I just checked NEW Ford Cortina prices in 1978.
1300 cc two door base model was £2,520.
Top of the range 2300cc Ghia Station-W. was £4800...wow thats a lot for a Ford, lol... :smilielol:
My friend had one and said it was real pricey...he was right.

So, $5400 on an 9 year old 'ratty' Daytona was a FORTUNE!!!
My Moparmate saw a mint Orange-Superbird at a US-dealers in 1981 for $5000.

We live and learn... :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

I just re-read the article and it reminded me of my oil-well friend in the North-Sea Oilfields.
He just got his first job from University in 1982 and went out and bought a new Volkswagen GTI...£5,750.
(I was sooo jealous, all I had at the time was a Morris Marina 1300cc deffo no muscle car).
I had just bought my first house and that was £30,000...
That same year I was offered a 1970 Plymouth Cuda convert for £25,000.
Shipped NEW into the UK by Warwick Wright Chiswick, where I used to work in the 90's, no Cuda's there then HaHa, only French cars... :brickwall:

I thought the guy was having a joke with me, Yep, its the one that Craig Jackson now owns.

wingcarenvy

So many people are going this route lately. Why let them sit when you could be enjoying them. I think it's s cool movement. Thanks for sharing the article.

djcarguy

TiMopar

Hey John, being friends of the then owners, I too had an opportunity to buy that Cuda in the 80's for £15,000. However, that was when a very 'expensive' big block Mopar could be bought over here for £5,000. If I had sold everything I had at the time and loaned some money, I could have just stretched to it, but being honest with myself I am not keen on convertibles, automatics or that colour, so passed despite being well aware of it's 'value'. Had I been that wealthy I would have bought a Daytona anyway, but they have always been beyond my financial reach, even back in the 70's.
                I have dug out a copy of the original Customs & Excise import document for the Cuda. It came to England in November 1971, imported by a private address in London W14. Curiously, it came into the country via the port of Dover. Back then, imports from North America typically came in via Liverpool or Southampton, which suggests to me that it may have come from continental Europe, probably France....

500Jon

Thanx for the reply Tim.
The reason I remember the price in the early 80's for the Cuda ragtop is because I had just taken out a £25,000 mortgage!
Buy a house or buy a Cuda???
I probably made the wrong choice... :slap:

I also remember very well, the day we met up at the Hickstead Show near the South Coast of England.(circa-1990)
You told me that the Petty Blue (ex Big-John) Superbird was up for grabs at a never to be repeated price!
I ran around the Show looking for the Guy selling, now its gonna be my day to buy a Wingcar...sadly NOT... :shruggy:
Unfortunately I was too slow on the sale and another Big Guy bought it! (think it was Jason)?
Then he sold to Pete Wiseman, whom I believe he did the resto, or a least paid for the resto... :scratchchin:

The rest is History, I shipped her over to my friend Julius in California and the UK lost another Wingcar... BOOHOO...  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
I hope she is outta the RAIN now? :pity: :pity: :pity:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 500Jon on December 13, 2016, 10:18:10 AM
... and the UK lost another Wingcar... BOOHOO...  :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
I hope she is outta the RAIN now? :pity: :pity: :pity:

You lost two that day....... My Daytona is in front of it......... So, I know my Daytona went to Julius and Dave M., but the Superbird did as well? What happened to Pete's orange Superbird? He owned 3 wingcars in the day......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 13, 2016, 10:35:41 AM

You lost two that day....... My Daytona is in front of it.........

WOW, you really know how to hurt a guy!   :icon_smile_big: :hah: :hah:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on December 13, 2016, 10:49:50 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 13, 2016, 10:35:41 AM

You lost two that day....... My Daytona is in front of it.........

WOW, you really know how to hurt a guy!   :icon_smile_big: :hah: :hah:

It was actually Pete Wiseman who lost two on that boat journey.. Back across the Pond..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

500Jon

Hi Wingers,
I'm not sure you can lose something that you never owned?
We have gained and lost many Wingcars over the years here in the UK.
I tried to buy one of the UK ones and some from the US too...
I was always a day late and a dollar short?
I realise now that it wasn't meant to be for me personally.
BUT I have something BETTER,,, in my eyes, a 4-speed C500... :pity: :pity: :pity:

Much rarer and less GAUDY as the King once said (Petty) lol...

Gone have the days of Street driven Wingcars here in the UK.
I have fond memories of two, three, sometimes four Wingcars at the imfamous Chelsea Criuse in London town in the glorious 1980's.

Those were the days indeed, a long distant tribute to affordable UK Nascars.
5J

ps, I never saw a street driven C500 anywhere on the planet yet.
Maybe next year as I drive past a large glass shop window, I will see myself in one lol... :nana:

Hope I look as cool as this DUDE! :rofl:

alfaitalia

I look forward to seeing it around!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

djcarguy

Awesum,get out an enjoy them.   :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs:  Any more pics??   :popcrn: :drool5:

djcarguy

Is this Daytona owner a member here??   more info an pics??   :drool5: :popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

djcarguy

Simonic

An interesting article thank you. Love the color on this car .
Mopar owner in the UK..

Simonic

[quote I never saw a street driven C500 anywhere on the planet yet.

[/quote]

There was one at the Uk Mopar Nats this year,driven over from Germany ?
Mopar owner in the UK..

aerolith

Hi Tim and Simonic.
Hopefully you will see a STREET driven C-500 next year!
Now the UK MOT regs have been dropped for 30+ year old cars, I can re-fit my C-500 back up and smoke her around the streets of Kent UK... :drive: :drive: :drive:
I think Carstens (German) C-500 was driven on the Streets of England , but no one saw it?
I believe the RPM Guys drove the hemi C-500 around the streets of Guildford a while back?
Maybe mine will be the first to be driven on the streets of England and be seen, with this paintwork, lol...(well this Century anyways)... :2thumbs:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

alfaitalia

Quote from: aerolith on November 28, 2017, 04:19:11 AM
Hi Tim and Simonic.
Hopefully you will see a STREET driven C-500 next year!
Now the UK MOT regs have been dropped for 30+ year old cars, I can re-fit my C-500 back up and smoke her around the streets of Kent UK... :drive: :drive: :drive:
I think Carstens (German) C-500 was driven on the Streets of England , but no one saw it?
I believe the RPM Guys drove the hemi C-500 around the streets of Guildford a while back?
Maybe mine will be the first to be driven on the streets of England and be seen, with this paintwork, lol...(well this Century anyways)... :2thumbs:

Its over 40 year old cars don't need MOTs from April 18. However even before that is was easy to pass. Just the usual safety stuff that you would want to be up to spec anyway. There was no emissions testing on cars older than 1975 anyway. I will still be getting mine tested...just seems sensible to me. I'm a pretty competent mechanic and indeed was an MOT tester once....but getting another pair of eyes to check its safe seems like the right idea to me.....even the best of us can miss something. I take my wife and child in my cars.......needs to be a bit safe!! I does worry me that the old guys who own old cars and just polish them will NEVER have them checked apart from basic maintenance and oil changes. Hopefully there will not be too many accident involving poorly maintained classics....or they will soon be MOTing them again!!

Simonic

I must say I've never had a problem with an MOT,however I do use a small independent garage and the owner is a classic car owner himself. Even with the changes to the current laws i'll still keep taking my car for an inspection. Although i'm an apprentice trained mechanic it's always useful to have the car up on a ramp every now and then
Mopar owner in the UK..

Simonic

Quote from: aerolith on November 28, 2017, 04:19:11 AM

Haha,i'd believe anything of those guys at RPM,i bought my 69 Charger from them back in about '98,the cars they had down there were amazing.

When I went to buy the Charger which was 8k at the time they also offered me a 70 Hemi Charger which was a 4 speed in red with a white interior,this was 25k...
Mopar owner in the UK..

alfaitalia

LOL.....could not buy the engine for that Hemi for £25K now!! :lol:

djcarguy