News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How correct is this front suspension?

Started by chaaargerb, March 22, 2018, 02:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

I am getting ready to finish the front suspension on my bird and was looking at reference pictures. This one I think was in hod rod magazine. It looks nice and they say it's correct but when disassembling my parts I'm not sure.One thing is my front sway bar and mounting brackets all have traces of black paint not silver. My backing plates are also black and I think my upper control appear to have been black. Any better reference pics or links would be great. Thanks

Alaskan_TA

Trust what you find on YOUR car if you feel it is original, it was there when it was built, we were not.

Mopar John

chaaargerb,
If you go to page 24 of my "MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION" you will see some detailed pictures.
The finishes were based on original parts.
Here is what we have:
Sway bar and brackets are black
Backing plates that are called splash shields on disc brake cars are black
Upper control arms are natural or bare steel
I don't think all those orange paint marks are correct also.
MJ

hemi68charger

Should the tips of the grease fittings be broken/cut off?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 22, 2018, 12:52:09 PM
Should the tips of the grease fittings be broken/cut off?
Troy,
Yes, if you want the OE look the originals were snapped off in most cases.
In the OP picture the ones on the lower ball joints with the 45 degree angle were not used either.
MJ

Wingnut426

What about the sway bar links? Shouldn't they have threads and nuts both top and bottom? WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

chaaargerb

Quote from: Mopar John on March 22, 2018, 10:45:38 AM
chaaargerb,
If you go to page 24 of my "MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION" you will see some detailed pictures.
The finishes were based on original parts.
Here is what we have:
Sway bar and brackets are black
Backing plates that are called splash shields on disc brake cars are black
Upper control arms are natural or bare steel
I don't think all those orange paint marks are correct also.
MJ

Those pictures are very helpful. What is the deal with Broke off grease fitting? Both my old upper and lower ball joints had angled fittings in them still intact.

Kowal

The two pictures you show are from RK Motors.

Go to their website and look at "sold" cars.   There are a ton of pics of various cars that are a great reference.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

talkiemopar

Bought my bird new and it had broken off grease fittings. I changed them all because a lub job was a real pain in the BUTT!  Rick. :Twocents: :Twocents:

Dragon Slayer

Bottom clip on caliper bolt is not correct either for a 70 disc car.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

chaaargerb

Found this info.
Upper control arms are natural bare steel.
Service replacements were dip painted black.

Most lower control arms were bare steel dipped in cosmolene to short of the ball joint end.

SOME lowers were dipped in black paint (semi-flat black). When AO Smith (original manufacturer of control arms for Chrysler) had their cosmolene lines occupied with railroad components they also manufactured, they would run the control arms in black dip.

Rick Kreuziger

That is probably why I had some black paint on my upper control arm. it was a  Service replacement.

chaaargerb

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on March 23, 2018, 08:46:23 AM

Do you have any pics of the correct ones. I have a few sets maybe I'll get lucky and have the correct ones.

chaaargerb

Quote from: Wingnut426 on March 22, 2018, 02:12:12 PM
What about the sway bar links? Shouldn't they have threads and nuts both top and bottom? WINGNUT

Mine looked to be long bolts with the treads pointing down.
My sway bar brackets to the frame had the nuts on top but the bushing bracket bolts had the nuts on the bottom of the car.
Not sure if any of that was correct.

Mopar John

Quote from: chaaargerb on March 23, 2018, 11:43:31 AM
Quote from: Dragon Slayer on March 23, 2018, 08:46:23 AM

Do you have any pics of the correct ones. I have a few sets maybe I'll get lucky and have the correct ones.
I don't see what Dragon Slayer sees wrong with the clip (caliper positioner ) on the caliper bolt?

If you go to EBAY and type in mopar caliper positioner you will see reproductions of the 1970 positioner and the 71-72 positioner.
The difference is the 70 positioner is flat around the bolt hole and the 71-72 is recessed around the bolt hole.
MJ

chaaargerb

Checked my clips for caliper bolt and I have 71 style. I will use them for now but will put the 70 style on my want list.