News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Motor mounts.

Started by Windsor, November 17, 2016, 10:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

Have you thought about a motor plate like a drag car ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Windsor

In the process of building the "new" frame. Front crossmember (radiator/body mount) is 2x4x.120 steel cut and welded to to the correct angle to allow for correct body height. It will be welded to the frame then boxed in to cover up all the ugly cutting I had to do to get the metal straight. The location of the motor mounts will be right behind the OE crossmember.

Windsor

Quote from: cdr on November 17, 2016, 11:50:49 PM
Have you thought about a motor plate like a drag car ?

I have. I actually use to run a front and mid plate when I first built it. Only issue with doing that with the setup I'm building, the front plate would block the steering shaft on the R&P.
After looking into the Chassis Engineering mounts, I'd have to use one of their tubular crossmembers. And would require me to build support arms/towers.  So, I decided to go with the Tin Man. I'll make a reinforcement plate that will weld to the frame for the tabs to weld to. I still have the locator bars from the plate setup, so I might transfer those over.

Windsor

These are the motor mounts. Props to summit for the discount and shipping speed. Shipped out yesterday, got them today. From measuring, it looks like I will be able to weld the frame tabs (longer straight edge) directly to my frame reinforcement plate. I'll see next week when I can get the frame back into the garage and test fit.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Windsor

Started mocking up the frame tabs. I'll transfer it to steel tomorrow. Monday, I'm gonna sand blast the front stubs and the frame where the motor mounts will be, that way I will have clean metal to weld to.

Windsor

Getting things mocked up while I save up for the back half of the frame. I don't like how little of the motor mount frame tabs meet with the side of the rails, so I'm going to mock some up out of plywood then get the steel shop to cut some out on their water jet. I had to put a significant notch on both of the forward tabs to clear the UCA, so I want more meat going onto the sides.
I am going to push the crossmember back and use the engine frame tabs that I have now to build tabs for a spool style trans mount.