News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"Blue" pin

Started by VegasCharger, November 18, 2016, 08:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

I am in the process of removing my driver's side glass from the track channel that is secured with the infamous blue pin. Question is, being 45+ y/o part are these pretty much impossible to remove w/o damaging it? I've tried using  a blow dryer to heat up the plastic to make it softer. But to no avail, I released pressure after I thought that the blue pin might break. I know that they repop these or do they? Any tricks for removal or is it break and replace?

This is for 1968 B Body.

Thanks

Lennard

Can't you press out the center of the pin?

68 charger freak

These clips are deceiving but so easy to remove. You'll need a small punch and a hammer. Working on the flat side of the clip place your punch on the  center pin of the clip. Make sure the punch fits inside the small circle and doesn't over hang on to the edge , then lightly tap out the Centre pin
68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

69bfan

The door glass rivets are readily available.  They retail in the $3.00 range.  As mentioned above, not much to removing them.  Just give them a shot of WD40 and you can sometime just push them out with a small punch. 
Restoration Parts and Materials
Weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock a wide assortment of restoration needs.
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com

VegasCharger

Lennard, 68 charger freak & 69bfan thanks!!!     :2thumbs:

This is my 1st ever attempt at this so it was one of those "I wanna learn before I break something" theories. So my problem was that I didn't even realize that there was a moving part within this clip. I thought that is was pressed on at the factory and that once the 4 little feet were protruded that it wasn't going to be removed unless damaged. Kinda like a one time install hardware item.

So thanks to the above advice I took a drift and hammer and tapped gently on the flat side in the center of the clip. And out it came. I did manage to still break two of the feet. I guess I should've used WD40 and/or heat. But my main goal was to learn how as I know I can buy replacements.

This coming from a guy who managed to un-install and re-install the rear quarter glasses lol.

Thanks again.

:cheers:

armor64

this pin is a prime candidate to be reproduced with 3d printing. ABS or PETG would probably be fine, but Nylon would be rock solid. I've made a few clips for my 78 GMC tailgate and cab trim, hopefully when i get to this part on my 68 rt resto, i can whip up some files.

VegasCharger

Quote from: armor64 on November 28, 2016, 11:37:29 AM
this pin is a prime candidate to be reproduced with 3d printing. ABS or PETG would probably be fine, but Nylon would be rock solid. I've made a few clips for my 78 GMC tailgate and cab trim, hopefully when i get to this part on my 68 rt resto, i can whip up some files.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: