News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just curious, what does a Daytona clone build set you back?

Started by Dino, December 04, 2016, 12:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

I know this is a loaded question but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

My wife really likes Daytonas so who knows, I may end up building a clone some day.

So let's assume I start with a 70 Charger and all the 69 goodies like interior and what not. Now I'd need all the Daytona parts to finish it up. I'm just curious how much all the parts combined would cost. I realize there's different kits and stuff but I want the clone to look like the real deal but nothing more so fiberglass instead of steel works for me, and vice versa. Part numbers do not matter. I don't know what all is out there. Let's just say I want the parts that look right and are of good quality.

So how big is this check I'm writing?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on December 04, 2016, 12:06:53 PM

My wife really likes Daytonas so who knows, I may end up building a clone some day.

So let's assume I start with a 70 Charger and all the 69 goodies like interior and what not. Now I'd need all the Daytona parts to finish it up. I'm just curious how much all the parts combined would cost. I realize there's different kits and stuff but I want the clone to look like the real deal but nothing more so fiberglass instead of steel works for me, and vice versa. Part numbers do not matter. I don't know what all is out there. Let's just say I want the parts that look right and are of good quality.

I had around 65k more or less cause I don't like to keep a close tab. But that was hemi , For speed, Dana , steel,nose and other parts. Some part bought twice.

Myself I'd start with a 69 and buy the fenders and hood for a seventy. More authentic .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

I'd love to start with a 69 but I'm not opposed to starting with a 70. $65K was for the whole shebang though? Minus labor which you did yourself of course. It sure would be a fun project.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NHCharger

I will have 25-28k into mine when done. I bought a rough clone off a board member that already had the nose wing and window plug. Of course I'm doing all the work myself, otherwise could never afford it.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Hemi Runner

Quote from: NHCharger on December 06, 2016, 12:49:07 PM
I will have 25-28k into mine when done. I bought a rough clone off a board member that already had the nose wing and window plug. Of course I'm doing all the work myself, otherwise could never afford it.
put a 1 in front of your number for my bird clone and that's doing it all myself

NHCharger

Quote from: Hemi Runner on December 06, 2016, 09:12:17 PM
put a 1 in front of your number for my bird clone and that's doing it all myself

Holy BeJesus :o :o

To be honest I haven't kept track of the costs like I did when I built my 68 RT clone. But my reasoning is that I have about the same amount of body work to do on the wing car as I did on the RT. I had to buy a complete interior for the wing car and the RT interior was complete except carpet. But I needed to do a complete engine build on the RT so I'm kind of figuring a wash on the engine versus interior. And I actually fell into a few killer deals when looking for parts for the RT.

Of course I never fully track my cash buys at Carlisle either, but I always have a predetermined spending limit when I go. Many times I order parts from vendors and pick them up at Carlisle. I've probably saved a couple grand on shipping costs over the last ten years.  
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Hemi Runner

I'm not really keeping track either but just in round numbers:
Car 4k
Block 4k
Nose 5k
Wing 3k
Turbos 5k
Efi 5k
Cage/chassis 4k
Tools 3k
Oil system  2k
Rest of engine 15k
Fenders 1k
Hood and decklid 1k
Rear axle setup 5k
It's not the best gauge for a clone as it's being built for racing.

moparnation74

Quote from: Hemi Runner on December 06, 2016, 09:12:17 PM
Wow!  I knew it would be a lot but 125k is crazy....

Hemi Runner

NHCharger

OK. Made the mistake of going through my cash receipts and  quick books  ::) ::)
So I was a bit low on my estimate. This is how it breaks down

$ 13,000 -for car which includes shipping.
$ 11,070 -off Quick books.
$     700- just bought some parts off Erik Nelson
$  3,000- My estimate for all the paint supplies I will need shortly.
$  4,000- All the parts I paid cash for over the last two years
$  3,000- Future parts. I have 95% of all the parts, including all the big parts except front seats. hoping 3k covers the rest.

Total $34,770
So I should be safe be estimating 40k.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

A383Wing

I built ours back in the mid 90's....total cost including engine rebuild was $25k....but I didn't do the rear window plug...ran outta time and money..

I'm doing the Vega plug now...hope I can get it done for the 2019 Talladega meet

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Dino on December 04, 2016, 12:06:53 PM

I tell most that inquire, that $15K gets you most of the stuff you'll need for a functioning and quality Aero conversion, the price goes up if you want an original wing, original rear glass, steel nose cone, jacks, etc, etc, you'll still need to factor in 70 fenders and hood, steel or fiberglass?, the cost of the car, driveline, interior, paint, bodywork, brakes, tires/rims etc, etc, and labour costs if your going to farm work out, but expect to be in the hole $60K to $100K plus for a quality looking Daytona when your done, if you can afford one already done, do so

Old Moparz

A few things that can also keep the cost way down is.....

1)  Being a hoarder of parts going back to when scrapping them was more profitable than trying to sell them.

2)  Being in the right place at the right time when something is available.

3)  Selling or trading what you don't need for something you do need.

Some of the Mopar parts I've had for various cars dates back to the early 1980's. One example is a package of NOS & used parts for a 1970 GTX. I bought the entire, rust free nose, including the air grabber hood, a pair of mint doors, NOS wheel lip moulding set, NOS rear deck & panel mouldings, NOS front turn signal lenses, NOS back up lenses, NOS side marker lenses all for $400. I ended up selling my GTX & hung onto the parts thinking I'd find another but never did. Around 2001 I wanted to build a Charger convertible so I sold all the NOS GTX parts for $1700 & got the 1968 Charger I have for $1100 as the core. I changed my mind on the convertible because I couldn't hack up a 100% rust free car & decided to use it for my Daytona conversion.

I have a good 440 & 727 from a $200 New Yorker I parted in the mid 80's. I snagged an almost complete package of Janek's Daytona parts from a local guy who bailed on his project for less than half of the original price. Found a 1969 Charger parts car for $900, stripped it of what I needed, sold the hood, a few other things & then the decent shell for $800. Traded a mint dash pad from another parts car for a Vega plug, & traded other parts laying around for a few other things. Most of the trading cost little or nothing out of pocket because other parts sold off the parts cars made some money or I broke even. The things I did have to buy, I tried to buy inexpensively & in most cases did well like a pair of mint 1970 Charger fenders already converted for the Daytona for $600.

Never did add it all up accurately, just rough numbers. After the drive train rebuild, some finishing body work, paint, new interior parts & misc. other things I know I'll need I am sure this car will be in the $15,000 range.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus