News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender scoops Daytona vs Superbird

Started by 70 sublime, November 27, 2016, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I was out today rounding up some parts for my clone build
Drove 2 hours to get a pair of 68 Charger bucket seats that need recovering to look 69 and a 70 Charger driver side fender
When I get there the fender was not there but ended up being at his brothers house another 3 hours away farther than I had already come
Oh well I will just get the seats and then told him that I needed the fender for my clone
He says his brother is coming next weekend and can bring both fenders and the guy from today would bring them the rest of the way to my house next weekend
Cool

So just sitting around shooting the breeze on the tail gate of my truck for a bit before I head back and he says "You know what I have a friend with a couple of  Charger R/T door scoops AND a pair of fender scoops off a Daytona that he pulled off a car in a wrecking yard a long time ago and they are just sitting on a shelf collecting dust and would I be interested ? "
cough cough Yes I think I might be interested  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

So now I have to wait to see what happens

So my question is

Is there a difference between a Daytona and a Superbird scoop and how could you tell if they just handed it to you ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Aero426

They are visibly different.  Daytona is quite a bit flatter on top. 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 27, 2016, 09:39:45 PM

Is there a difference between a Daytona and a Superbird scoop and how could you tell if they just handed it to you ?

A Superbird scoop will have 5 individual tapered stud standoffs, the Daytona will have 1 standoff, all the side (4) mounting provisions will be bosses molded into the side of the scoop, the rear opening of a Superbird scoop is very arched, the Daytona has a flat top

I'd suggest you purchase the scoops regardless, you could always sell them if you can't use them

Superbird top/Daytona bottom

70 sublime

70 sublime

Is there a left and right or are the Daytona scoops both the same ?

Next question what is something like that worth ?

I would be happy if they asked $100 each for something they pulled off a car 30 years ago and might have paid $20 for and just left on a shelf

I am not made of big bucks and can find other things to spend money on for my car at the moment
I know I would kick myself in the butt if I let them slip out of my hands if I have a chance to get them but I think it would be the very last part I would put on to finish my car off
I guess a better question would be is how much would an after market scoop cost me to put on my car when I get to that point ?
Fiberglass or does anyone make a metal version ?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 28, 2016, 08:49:45 AM

I would be happy if they asked $100 each for something they pulled off a car 30 years ago and might have paid $20 for and just left on a shelf

I am not made of big bucks and can find other things to spend money on for my car at the moment
I know I would kick myself in the butt if I let them slip out of my hands if I have a chance to get them but I think it would be the very last part I would put on to finish my car off
I guess a better question would be is how much would an after market scoop cost me to put on my car when I get to that point ?

There's a left and right scoop for both bird and tona, the Daytona are harder to tell apart side to side, but if you place both the bottoms touching one another the driver's side scoop is approx 1/4"- 3/8" wider at the base, because the driver's fender is slightly wider than the passengers IIRC

As far as value of used original scoops, Daytonas are on the bottom scale price wise, generally $500-$1000 for a set depending on condition, Superbird scoops pull in the biggest coin, with even junk pieces pulling $500-$1000 pr, nice pieces are generally $1000+-$2000 pr

Aftermarket scoops vary in price from as cheap as $100 pr up to $600pr depending on the mfg, cheap ones usually have no mounting provisions, just a shell, Daytona scoops are relatively common on the market, Superbird scoops are plentiful too, but finding a set with the 5 tapered mounting studs as original is a challenge because of the difficulty in making them, the best Daytona scoops on the market are made by Ted Janak/WWBP, my scoops rate a second as the underside is mat finished, not smooth as original or like Ted Janeks (unless you want to sand them out), my Superbird scoops are the only ones that I know of to date that have the mounting studs as original on the market, other mfg's will display photos showing the studs, but when the scoops arrive, they're just bare shells with no mounting provisions

FYI...my Daytona scoops are $250 pr, Superbird scoops are $400pr (all fiberglass w/SS mounting studs)
Mike

Aero426

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 28, 2016, 08:49:45 AM

There are people here looking for OEM undamaged Daytona scoops.    Buy them if you can.     Resell the OEM scoops, order the repops and put the extra money towards your project.   

odcics2

All Daytona scoops are not the same...
The 88 had what I call a hybrid, at least on the right side.
Kinda 1/2 way between the pics shown above for both cars.
Perhaps, they are very early production or prototype parts?
Both have 3412xxx part numbers.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on November 28, 2016, 02:24:55 PM
All Daytona scoops are not the same...
The 88 had what I call a hybrid, at least on the right side.
Kinda 1/2 way between the pics shown above for both cars.
Perhaps, they are very early production or prototype parts?
Both have 3412xxx part numbers.

Agreed, as far as the "glass" scoops, I've seen a very small handfull of early versions with mat finish on the underside on early build cars, I assume, as well as was told that some early cars (perhaps test models or press vehicles) had hand laid parts, regarding the scoops, and that also a hand full of early cars didn't have scoops because they were still being tooled, plus I've seen 2 different boss location on the smooth underside production scoops, then there's the metal fabricated scoops (daytona and bird) on the race wingcars, those all vary as well

Mike

odcics2

I also agree with you, except the ones on the race #88 are plastic, like any other "production" wing car scoop I have ever seen.

The metal scoops are just the fender slit and pounded up with a bit of metal added along each side, as required, per the body guys discretion! 

70 sublime

So factory 1969 Daytona scoops are plastic of some sort ?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 28, 2016, 10:27:15 PM
So factory 1969 Daytona scoops are plastic of some sort ?

Generally they are referred to as "fiberglass", but in reality the production street scoops are by trade name made with "Cosmoplast", which is basically ground fiberglass, and polyester resin mixed creating a FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic), Chrysler used this technique to mfg most of it's production body scoops, trim pieces, and other assorted "fiberglass" body components, it was then injected into a mold, heated, then the finished part removed, much faster than actually laying up a true fiberglass mat structure/component either by hand or chopper gun

Hate to say it, but Cosmoplast defined today would be basically, a polyester "bondo", ground polyester "glass" and polyester resins, along with other agents held in suspension until a catalyst is added to solidify it

70 sublime

Thanks
Good to know

For some reason I always thought they were made out of that white metal type of stuff

odcics2

My scoops inside and outside surfaces are both finished to a smooth, paintable standard and the part number molded into the bottom, even though the scoop is not "flat" like all the later production pieces I have seen since 1969.

For being made of "bondo", they held up extremely well.  :yesnod:
I never knew the correct name for the part is Cosmoplast. Thanks for that info!  :cheers:

Oh, there was also "real' bondo used to smooth out the front end seams- nose, valance, fender...

When I was a kid the local auto parts store used to sell a pink colored material by the gallon labeled "DBF".   

We called it Detroit Body Filler!    :2thumbs:

70 sublime

Are the 70 Charger R/T door scoops made the same way as the Daytona fender scoops ?

Mytur Binsdirti

odcics2

Super Bee hood scoops, 71-2 Road Runner air grabber and the 70s Dart snorkel scoop are other uses that come to mind.

Who invented Cosmoplast?     

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on November 29, 2016, 09:14:18 AM
Super Bee hood scoops, 71-2 Road Runner air grabber and the 70s Dart snorkel scoop are other uses that come to mind.

Who invented Cosmoplast?     

Cosmoplast was the product trade name of the Canadian supplier to Chrysler for fiberglass components

Mytur Binsdirti

odcics2

Aero426

odcics2

Imagine playing "Up Around the Bend" while going over 200 mph into Turn 3 at Talladega ?

:2thumbs: