News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fender scoops Daytona vs Superbird

Started by 70 sublime, November 27, 2016, 09:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Photo of the underside, left hand fender exhauster on the #88 race daytona.

Hard to see, but reads:  3412671  L H    says, "Jo-Ad Ind." below that. Vendor code looks like: "1252"
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

NHCharger

Another mounting question. Were the scoops fastened so the edges touch all the way around or were there washers on the bolts that held them off the surface of the fender just a bit?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

odcics2

rob-dirt

Quote from: DAY CLONA on November 28, 2016, 09:51:19 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on November 28, 2016, 08:49:45 AM
Is there a left and right or are the Daytona scoops both the same ?

Next question what is something like that worth ?

I would be happy if they asked $100 each for something they pulled off a car 30 years ago and might have paid $20 for and just left on a shelf

I am not made of big bucks and can find other things to spend money on for my car at the moment
I know I would kick myself in the butt if I let them slip out of my hands if I have a chance to get them but I think it would be the very last part I would put on to finish my car off
I guess a better question would be is how much would an after market scoop cost me to put on my car when I get to that point ?
Fiberglass or does anyone make a metal version ?

There's a left and right scoop for both bird and tona, the Daytona are harder to tell apart side to side, but if you place both the bottoms touching one another the driver's side scoop is approx 1/4"- 3/8" wider at the base, because the driver's fender is slightly wider than the passengers IIRC

As far as value of used original scoops, Daytonas are on the bottom scale price wise, generally $500-$1000 for a set depending on condition, Superbird scoops pull in the biggest coin, with even junk pieces pulling $500-$1000 pr, nice pieces are generally $1000+-$2000 pr

Aftermarket scoops vary in price from as cheap as $100 pr up to $600pr depending on the mfg, cheap ones usually have no mounting provisions, just a shell, Daytona scoops are relatively common on the market, Superbird scoops are plentiful too, but finding a set with the 5 tapered mounting studs as original is a challenge because of the difficulty in making them, the best Daytona scoops on the market are made by Ted Janak/WWBP, my scoops rate a second as the underside is mat finished, not smooth as original or like Ted Janeks (unless you want to sand them out), my Superbird scoops are the only ones that I know of to date that have the mounting studs as original on the market, other mfg's will display photos showing the studs, but when the scoops arrive, they're just bare shells with no mounting provisions

FYI...my Daytona scoops are $250 pr, Superbird scoops are $400pr (all fiberglass w/SS mounting studs)
Mike

i will take a set if you have them  :popcrn:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Redbird

Since we are valuing parts at next to nothing. How many of us would also be happy to pay $ 25,000 for a complete perfect numbers matching Dodge Daytona that someone bought 30 years ago for $ 5,000?

cudavic

Quote from: odcics2 on December 01, 2016, 10:20:06 AM
Photo of the underside, left hand fender exhauster on the #88 race daytona.

Hard to see, but reads:  3412671  L H    says, "Jo-Ad Ind." below that. Vendor code looks like: "1252"

Well lookie, lookie.

http://www.jo-ad.com/

odcics2

Quote from: Redbird on June 26, 2017, 10:42:07 AM
Since we are valuing parts at next to nothing. How many of us would also be happy to pay $ 25,000 for a complete perfect numbers matching Dodge Daytona that someone bought 30 years ago for $ 5,000?

What color?  :shruggy:

Here's a sample of Jo-Ad's latest parts.  A bit more complex than a simple scoop.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

What is your $$$$ estimate for real original Daytona scoops? 

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on July 07, 2017, 07:31:11 AM

What is your $$$$ estimate for real original Daytona scoops?  

We've all seen this seller's ad below, even with all his overpriced "stuff", a set of Daytona scoops musters only $750, as I said earlier $500-$1000 is the going rate for Daytona scoops depending on condition, I travel to events/places around the country, and deal with individuals selling and trading in wingcar parts, I've seen lots of nice stuff with outrageous prices, and a lot of useless junk with outrageous prices as well, and as much as one would like to think that Daytona stuff is fewer and farther between than SuperBird stuff and should be holding to a King's ransom for pricing, again when it comes to Daytona scoops, even NOS, they can't match the asking price of Bird scoops, why?, I don't know, only what the market bears I guess?

odcics2

Guess that was the bargain of all his parts.  
Notice the missing digit in his ad?  Was it really $1750.?
That would be a lot more in line with the other prices. 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on July 07, 2017, 03:40:56 PM
Guess that was the bargain of all his parts.  
Notice the missing digit in his ad?  Was it really $1750.?
That would be a lot more in line with the other prices. 

Possibly?, but I doubt it, I've seen 2 pairs of NOS Daytona scoops over the years, with $1500 being the highest price of the sets

rob-dirt

mike- i need a set of daytona scoops and so dose Stu - Will you make us a set ?   PLEASE 

Redbird

I was at Carlisle. There were a number of Superbird and wing car parts for sale. At least 5 different sellers. Nothing cheap. Interesting stuff for someone just viewing from the sidelines. There were 2 sellers side by side in their spaces, actually sellers that were frankly wheelers and dealers. One of them had bought several parts from another seller there. He had bought a NOS pair of Superbird scoops, in the original Chrysler boxes. He told me what he paid, It was a 4 figure number. Simply for 2017 I thought it was an OK price. When people want a high price for a real car they are selling, to me I would want real parts on that car. I have trouble when people want a really high price for a car with reproduction parts all over it.

Like a lot of things to me it is interesting to see differences in parts from obviously back in the day. I remember buying NOS Superbird scoops from the dealer in the mid 1970's for under $30 each. Those scoops had no boxes covering them. They did have rubber guards on the threads of the studs. I used them on one of my cars in the 1980's.

I have a NOS scoop in an original box, I believe it is from a dealer in the mid 1970's. The box is relatively flat, basically a little larger than the scoop.

The boxes i saw the other day were more symmetrically shaped, 4 sides the same, and then longer in one direction. The boxes seemed original to me.