News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Making your own Daytona wing and nose?

Started by Fig426, November 29, 2016, 08:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fig426

I'm new to the aero stuff and searched everywhere but didn't come up with much so I'm sorry if this has been asked before..... Has anyone tried fabbing their own nose and wing out of steel? The nose with an English Wheel and the wing similar to how an airplane wing is constructed? I know already I'll get a bunch of responses that say just buy the stuff. That's not my whole goal of making my 70 Charger a Daytona though. Alot of it is just looking for a fabricating project to challenge myself, hence making my own and not buying it.  I work non stop and have a family and other hobbies so I'm not looking into making this as a product, just to do my own for the challenge. Thanks in advance.

djcarguy

3 noses he made,,,--- 3   NOSES   member -  Panhead -- has some pics of nose an z brackets,inner nose parts he made.he was able to copy original parts.

member,    Don c1 --posted pic s  of steel bird wing ,he did for Hotrod 98 -- Larry. frame with skin build..

Charger-Bodie,,,..   lots of pics saving a Tona nose for his awsum    white ,red stripe ,hemi daytona clone .body man now saving the b7 69 4spd ??

think you may need glass parts or lots of templets to get close??  best ta ya on build.i have a dane solid wing,could do drawings an measurements for ya...  Latter DJ out west   :2thumbs:

Fig426

Thanks for all the info on the  guys that have info. And thanks for the measurement offer. I may take you up on that at some point. .... I thought about buying a stinger kit or something similar to use as a guide. I figured I can always sell the kit after. I think I can pull it off. Just wondering if anyone here has done it with any decent success.

Johnp

I know this post is a few month old but I'm thinking of trying the same thing, making a nose and wing.  I recently picked up a 70 charger and would like to make a Daytona clone to.  I've researched everyone mention above but can not find any measurements or dimensions of a wing or nose.  Can anyone supply me with templates of a nose and wing? I'll gladly pay you for time and material poster board or paper? Please let me know
Thanks

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Johnp on April 13, 2017, 06:00:49 PM
I know this post is a few month old but I'm thinking of trying the same thing, making a nose and wing.  I recently picked up a 70 charger and would like to make a Daytona clone to.  I've researched everyone mention above but can not find any measurements or dimensions of a wing or nose.  Can anyone supply me with templates of a nose and wing? I'll gladly pay you for time and material poster board or paper? Please let me know
Thanks

Templates/prints/etc are fine for the most basic of components needed, to produce the information you would require cross section after cross section would be very exhaustive for the likes of building a wing and or nosecone ....DAMHIK

I would suggest you buy a fiberglass repro or borrow some original part(s), fit it to your car, confirm dimensions in question with others here and make your own metal copies, it's quite an endeavor, esp if you have to make the tooling to produce the parts, I hope your aware of how many internal parts are required to support the nose, plus a functioning headlite system to boot?...

Granted if your skilled with hammer and dolly and corking skills you can get buy making metal parts, but it's very labour intensive, the investment in metal working tools/equipment can be very expensive, the costs and time quickly start to out weight "just buying the stuff"...keep in mind if you've never built a wingcar before, just having the parts alone is a chore to assembly properly, never mind making them as well...I'm not trying to discourage you, it's just that I know what your in for....

Mike

here's a couple of quick screen shots off my computer to show you how "making parts" can mushroom...then before you know it, your making parts/cars for everyone but yourself.....DAMHIK

held1823

wow, mike.

i am going to be signing my paychecks over to you for a loooooong time when i get mine underway. 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

farm966

My two cents...you need to make sure you have access to the all of the tools you will need, including, but not limited to english wheel, metal brake and all of the little things like welder and everything else you can think of. You would also need some really, really good metal skills, lots and lots of time to make and remake parts in addition to originals or fiberglass parts to use as templates. If you want to build your own to say you have done it, then by all means give it a try.  The reward of knowing you did it would be phenomenal. If you are in anyway thinking you will be saving money, you are mistaken in my experience. If you put even a few dollars an hour on your time you would be so much better off buying fiberglass parts if you want to save money. If you really want metal parts, the cheapest way is to buy them. Yes, I know they are expensive. If you want to build your own and you have the talent, time and tools, please post some pictures as I will be jealous and encourage you along as you go.

Johnp

Thanks for all the great pics dayclona.  I've done body work before and even worked in a body shop for a few years.   However I've never made anything for a car from sheet metal entirely from scratch I've made other metal stuff though And I've cast aluminum parts with sand casting and usually have positive results but nothing the size of a wing, but I'm always up to a new challenge.  I figure it's worth a shot and if I have good results then I'm happy if not at least I know I gave it a shot!   I've thought about purchasing the fiberglass parts for copies but I worry not being able to resell to recoup the funds, funds are always limited that's why I try to repair or make stuff.  As for original steel, I don't know anyone locally that might have the parts to get measurements personally.  I do have a metal break, torch welder, hammer, dollys, etc. no English wheel yet, but I've already started shopping for one.   ;)

panhead

As you can see from the pics below, You'll also need and is a major tool for this task is a 8" throat shrinker/stretcher watch will help making those unique shapes and craves as well as a bead roller with a step dyes for the grille frame recess. I wish well with your endeavor.

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Johnp

Wow that looks really good!  I have been keeping an eye on your thread of your Daytona/nose build.  It's very impressive. It was one of the many that's inspired me to give it a shot.  I have a pneamatic flange tool, but not a bead roller yet.  I've ordered the shrinker/stretcher it should be here soon.  Thank you and good luck with yours as well!