News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Camshaft Upgrade - need help

Started by 70SuperBee, November 30, 2016, 07:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70SuperBee

I've been absent from this board for many years for several reasons. One of the biggest was having your home devastated by super storm Sandy. My 1968 Dodge Charger RT escaped the wrath of Sandy in higher grounds. Anyway, I was formally 4402tuff4u, but had some difficulties in re-loging under that user name. Back several years ago I was fortunate to save a 1970 dodge Coronet 2 door post car, vinyl top with a 440 and a 727 auto tranny from being picked up by a local salvage yard that was going to send it to the crusher. I was able to interfere and was able to purchase the Coronet from the owners dad. Unfortunately, the owner of the Coronet fell to the spell of drug abuse and addiction, consequently having issues with the law. The dad had ownership of the Coronet and wanted no part of it and just wanted it gone! Long story short, it has a bad cam lobe. So it's time to upgrade the camshaft. The guts of the Coronet are as follow:

1973 440 RB block, #3698830, cast crankshaft
Stock #4006 452 heads, open chamber, 82-88cc not sure, no visible work done to them, don't known spring install height or anything about them. 1.5 Rockers
Holley 3310-4 750 cfm double pumper carburetor
Street Dominator intake manifold
TCI #1412 torque converter, 2,200-2,400 stall speed
Hooker headers
9 1/4 sure grip rear with 3:90 gears. (Have no clue were this rear came from but it fits perfectly)
15" rims, 27" overall with tires
No power brakes- manual
Newly rebuilt 727 torqueflite with Trans-Go TF-2 kit

Looking for opinions, suggestions and/or recommendations from members and power plant gurus here who have done it. On my 68 Charger I have the Engle K-58Hyd with Indy EZ440 heads that Neil helped me put together. Love the kick ass performance but don't have that kind of budget. Looking for a good cam for a high performance street and occasional pull. Slight lope. Thanks. :2thumbs:

PRH

Howards 728001-09

Comp 280H

Mopar 280/.474

You'll likely need to upgrade the springs as well.

A Holley 3310 is a dual feed vac secondary carb, not a double pumper.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980