News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct General Lees.....information?

Started by 69bronzeT5, December 03, 2016, 03:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

Hey all-
As many of you know, I do a lot of writing for an online Mopar magazine. I've been given the task of writing an article about creating a TV show correct General Lee. It needs to be as correct information wise as possible. I haven't decided if it's going to be about doing a Lee #1 (I'm leaning towards that) or a California style later season one. Is there anywhere to look for information? People to talk to? :shruggy:

Thanks for the help! :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Mike DC

You could do a lot worse than reading plain old Wikipedia for GL info.  They have a thorough article about the GL under something like "General Lee (car)".  It does more to give the backstory than actual building specs though.  

Broadly speaking, the TV show cars break down into 3 different eras.  Georgia, early Cali, and late Cali.  It was 3 different groups of people building the cars so they each did things their own way.  Do you want to copy a specific one, or put out info on all of them?

----------

-- Georgia (or "GA") cars.  Built in the first 5 episodes filmed in GA, with a few cars carried over into early Cali.  These are respected cars.  But they were just getting started and each one came out visibly different as they figured things out.  LEE#1 is well known & loved because it did the first jump and was found in 2001.  But it never got much screen time (as a GL) and its signature rocker panels were never shown like that again.

-- Early Cali (or "Valuzet") cars.  Built by the Valuzet brothers, these were basically mass-produced versions of the GA cars they inherited.  They occupied the show's most popular seasons and were the basis for all the merchandise/toys.  They had a more consistent look than the GA cars but sometimes they used very crude methods.  A Valuzet car that looks good up-close fits the classic image of a GL perfectly.  But many of the actual Valuzet GLs were 30-footers or worse.

(late Georgia & early Cali)

--  Late Cali (or "WB") cars.  Appearing at the mid-point of the TV series (mid-season#4), this was the biggest departure from what came before.  Warner Bros was tired of subcontracting the job and had their mechanics start building cars in-house.  This was when the front pushbar switched to the bigger/wider one, and the interior color went to very light tan, etc.  These cars weren't nice in reality but they did a better job of faking it onscreen than before.  They looked consistent and body damage always disappeared within just a couple seconds.  

(late Cali)

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 03, 2016, 11:38:02 AM

You could do a lot worse than reading plain old Wikipedia for GL info.  They have a thorough article about the GL under something like "General Lee (car)".  It does more to give the backstory than actual building specs though.  

Broadly speaking, the TV show cars break down into 3 different eras.  Georgia, early Cali, and late Cali.  It was 3 different groups of people building the cars so they each did things their own way.  Do you want to copy a specific one, or put out info on all of them?

----------

-- Georgia (or "GA") cars.  Built in the first 5 episodes filmed in GA, with a few cars carried over into early Cali.  These are respected cars.  But they were just getting started and each one came out visibly different as they figured things out.  LEE#1 is well known & loved because it did the first jump and was found in 2001.  But it never got much screen time (as a GL) and its signature rocker panels were never shown like that again.

-- Early Cali (or "Valuzet") cars.  Built by the Valuzet brothers, these were basically mass-produced versions of the GA cars they inherited.  They occupied the show's most popular seasons and were the basis for all the merchandise/toys.  They had a more consistent look than the GA cars but sometimes they used very crude methods.  A Valuzet car that looks good up-close fits the classic image of a GL perfectly.  But many of the actual Valuzet GLs were 30-footers or worse.

--  Late Cali (or "WB") cars.  Appearing at the mid-point of the TV series (mid-season#4), this was the biggest departure from what came before.  Warner Bros was tired of subcontracting the job and had their mechanics start building cars in-house.  This was when the front pushbar switched to the bigger/wider one, and the interior color went to very light tan, etc.  These cars weren't nice in reality but they did a better job of faking it onscreen than before.  They looked consistent and body damage always disappeared within just a couple seconds. 

Thank you for the information Mike! I've been going back and forth and I honestly think I'd like to do a How to Build a Lee #1 build. I just have such a fascination with that car and one day I'd love to build one myself.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

CornDogsCharger

69bronzeT5,

There are a few of us here, like Mike DC and a few more, that have been following these cars for many, MANY years and we have picked apart the cars and all of the little details that makes each car... and build-era different.  Feel free to ask away and we will help answer any of your questions.  I run www.realgenerallee.com, which is a site that documents and keeps track of screen-used Hazzard vehicles, but I have not taken the time to upload all of the info to the site yet. 

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

marshallfry01

I wish we had a board on here specifically for Dukes related info. Cglfc.com has officially closed its doors. Sadly there wasn't much activity on there for the past few years. I feel like a Dukes section on here would work well. There are quite a few guys on here that either has a General Lee or has an interest in Dukes.

The same questions get asked frequently about different eras of general lees on the show. Decal placement, color, etc.  If we had a discussion board specifically for Dukes we could make subjects like that a sticky.

Just my  :Twocents:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: marshallfry01 on December 03, 2016, 05:20:15 PM
I wish we had a board on here specifically for Dukes related info. Cglfc.com has officially closed its doors. Sadly there wasn't much activity on there for the past few years. I feel like a Dukes section on here would work well. There are quite a few guys on here that either has a General Lee or has an interest in Dukes.

The same questions get asked frequently about different eras of general lees on the show. Decal placement, color, etc.  If we had a discussion board specifically for Dukes we could make subjects like that a sticky.

+1 for that idea  :Twocents:

CornDogsCharger

I agree... Or just a section for TV & Movie Chargers

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

cdr

:iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

JB400

Sorry to burst that bubble, but Troy wouldn't do it.  I petitioned for it when I first got on here.

birdsandbees

Maybe a restoration thread on getting Daisy back to that short short hottie that she once was!!   ;D
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

marshallfry01

Quote from: birdsandbees on December 03, 2016, 10:27:31 PM
Maybe a restoration thread on getting Daisy back to that short short hottie that she once was!!   ;D

That's a thread we would all enjoy!!
1969 Charger 383/auto

cdr

Quote from: birdsandbees on December 03, 2016, 10:27:31 PM

The new Daisy is pretty dang HOT  :Twocents:

https://youtu.be/Wrs63XuTPWU
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: JB400 on December 03, 2016, 10:17:16 PM
Sorry to burst that bubble, but Troy wouldn't do it.  I petitioned for it when I first got on here.

If it's worthwhile, then let's ask again. Troy???  :shruggy:

Thank you for your consideration  :cheers:

SBBob

I have a friend here who is lucky enough to own a real General Lee.  The one thing that sticks out in my mind that says real is the fact that the movies cars never had any side marker lights.  They used 68 and 69 bodies and to make them look the same they simply removed the marker light, duct taped the back side and filled in the hole with bondo.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on December 03, 2016, 12:52:45 PM
Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on December 03, 2016, 11:38:02 AM

----------

--  Late Cali (or "WB") cars.  Appearing at the mid-point of the TV series (mid-season#4), this was the biggest departure from what came before.  Warner Bros was tired of subcontracting the job and had their mechanics start building cars in-house.  This was when the front pushbar switched to the bigger/wider one, and the interior color went to very light tan, etc.  These cars weren't nice in reality but they did a better job of faking it onscreen than before.  They looked consistent and body damage always disappeared within just a couple seconds.  

Thank you for the information Mike! I've been going back and forth and I honestly think I'd like to do a How to Build a Lee #1 build. I just have such a fascination with that car and one day I'd love to build one myself.

I can tell you all about LEE 1 do! The Correct TV GL is simpel. it depends what do you like? Which one you want georgia style of Cali? Decals must be right! Wheel 14 inch Later on 15.. Pushbar small or big.. I like the first Lees to be THE GENERAL LEE! Because that where the first ones. With the small pushbar Rebelflag painted on the roof.. Number Decals.
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

Mikesmoparperformance

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on December 03, 2016, 06:37:16 PM

+1 for that idea  :Twocents:

Yes do that! I hope this forum will last! It a lost that he Cglfc forum is gone! I miss it lots of GL info on there! They can say yeah go to FB.. Yes we can but we can'''t store alot of info that you can easy find back again when you need it! So please make a DUKES section!
MOPAR OR NO CAR

1966 Dodge Charger 383 CI

RCCDrew

I have a Dukes replica. Never intended to have one, but it was a good deal on the right car. Trying to decide wether to keep it a GL, or go F&F theme. IMO, a movie cars section instead of just a GL section would make more sense and draw more people to it.

69wannabe

My charger was a General Lee for most of the time I have owned it, just done the more plain paint on it about 3 or 4 years back but I had to go back hemi orange with it just because. I grew up with the dukes so it was an every friday night thing for me for several years. Love the history of the car and it's beginning as the fastest car in hazzard county! The early episodes filmed in georgia were my favorite since I also live in georgia and have visited conyer's, covington and social circle many times to visit filming sites and to take pictures of the sites that are still there. My buddy Jack Price was a huge help in researching and finding lots of the filming sites and meeting people that were involved with the early dukes episodes. Got to meet Henry Holman and stayed the weekend with him and his wife. Very nice folk's and learned alot about H&H body shop that was working for WB to keep the cars going for the show. Also met Cliff Shaw whose dad ran the transmission shop that was doing mechanic work for WB and wound up with LEE 1 until it was found by TB in the early 2000's. They had moved from covington to dawsonville and moved the cars with them. There were also two of the hazzard patrol cars there but we didn't find him until it was all gone. We did get to the the actual final resting spot of LEE 1 before it was cut up and sold for parts. Lot's of history to dig into there, and most of the fact's have been found pretty much and most people that were interested know most of them...... I still love to hear about the dukes and the General Lee tho.....

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: RCCDrew on December 05, 2016, 08:38:50 AM
I have a Dukes replica. Never intended to have one, but it was a good deal on the right car. Trying to decide wether to keep it a GL, or go F&F theme. IMO, a movie cars section instead of just a GL section would make more sense and draw more people to it.

Good point

68pplcharger

MoparMotel

One thing I've wondered on General Lee's is the original color... after some research I painted my old General lee the Corvette Flame Red and to me it wasn't as bright orange as the cars I remember from the series. For interior I did the saddle tan Legendary interior and wood grain dash trim.
1968 Dodge Charger

Mike DC

The TV episode footage sometimes came out with the GL's orange shade jacked-up brighter or tinted.  

That mid-70s Corvette Flame color is the right choice for General Lee accuracy.  Sometimes people discuss the orange shade issue for paragraphs on end, but that's still the bottom line.

The restored LEE#1 - same car, different shots, within a few minutes of each other.  Photography can really affect colors.  

c00nhunterjoe

Correct and general lee in the same sentence leaves alot of room for discussion. From my experience over the years, the early cars were reddish orange- translated as hemi orange or flame red. The later cars had less red because on old tube tvs the car looked too red so they had them mixed lighter. At that point its anyones guess as they said the cars were being beat up and resprayed so quick that alot of times the paint cans were dumped together and mixed to make the time constraints. So what started out as hugger or big bad orange or whatever name, it got diluted or mixed by the time it was sprayed.
    In short, pick the color orange you like and the decal style based on the era in the series you are aiming for.
Here are 2 lees, one is corvette flame red and the other is hemi orange.

69wannabe

According to Henry Holman the first 3 general's were already orange when they arrived from WB. He said they were all painted hemi orange but after they got destroyed so quickly they started getting a couple more ready he used the corvette flame red since he had that paint already from painting several corvette's that the shop had worked on prior to the charger's. And that's where the flame red came into play so I guess the majority of them were flame red with the exception of a few and maybe the later episode's like said above. I used the hemi orange on my charger since it's a mopar color and not a chevy color.

sanders7981

DixieRestoParts

The movie's Bullitt and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry also featured Chargers as well as Blade (I think). So, maybe a Movie car section is more appropriate.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

VegasCharger

I would be in that section a lot if it were created.

CornDogsCharger

Just needs to be TV/Movie Cars section. Otherwise people would hesitate to talk about other famous cars if it was JUST a GL section. But either way, I'm in favor of it!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Super Bee

keith88

1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Troy

Here's the deal: it takes me about 30 seconds to create a new section (board). However, that's useless (in my opinion) without putting all the existing relevant topics in there. I don't have the time or energy right now to do it. So, if you guys want it, spend some time digging up all the threads and get me a list. You can post the links here or send me a PM. Once I get enough to seem reasonable I'll create the board and move all the threads. Sorry our search is wonky at the moment but Google works pretty well with a site specific search:
https://www.google.com/#q=%22general+lee%22+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=blade+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=dmcl+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=%22crazy+larry%22+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=movie+site:dodgecharger.com

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

marshallfry01

Thanks for the consideration Troy! I'll start doing some searching and putting the threads on here.  :2thumbs: Hopefully some of the others will help out too!
1969 Charger 383/auto

lukedukem

Quote from: Troy on December 23, 2016, 10:52:41 AM
Here's the deal: it takes me about 30 seconds to create a new section (board). However, that's useless (in my opinion) without putting all the existing relevant topics in there. I don't have the time or energy right now to do it. So, if you guys want it, spend some time digging up all the threads and get me a list. You can post the links here or send me a PM. Once I get enough to seem reasonable I'll create the board and move all the threads. Sorry our search is wonky at the moment but Google works pretty well with a site specific search:
https://www.google.com/#q=%22general+lee%22+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=blade+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=dmcl+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=%22crazy+larry%22+site:dodgecharger.com
https://www.google.com/#q=movie+site:dodgecharger.com

Troy

Some for the death proof cars
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=61876.0
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,118175.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37863.0.html

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Mike DC

Just to bring it up - the same threads that talk about Hollywood Chargers also sometimes get into Vanishing Point Challys, Fast/Furious 'Cudas or RRs, Bullitt Mustangs, etc. 

We might want to state some kind of baseline POV about it:  "Talking about non-Charger Hollywood cars is okay as long as the other stuff doesn't start dominating the place too much." 

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto

JB400

Glad to see you had a change of heart Troy. :cheers:

marshallfry01

Thanks for the new board Troy! It's greatly appreciated!!
1969 Charger 383/auto

XS29L9Bxxxxxx