News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No lights.

Started by Scatty the charger, December 03, 2016, 08:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scatty the charger

Just got my 68 charger about 2 weeks ago. The car has been sitting since 1986. I inspected all the wires and cleaned up the ground connections. Everything seems to be good. I put a battery in the car and I have no power coming to anything not even the horn. Any idea what it may be? Also checked the fuses under the dash they are not blown.
1968 charger rt. Currently fixing it up to be a good driver.

70 sublime

Check the main red wire that goes to the wiring block that goes through firewall (under the hood side)
Can get crusty at that connection  
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Dino

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition! Please post pics if you can, we're suckers for pics!   :icon_smile_big:

So what's not getting juice and what is? There's a fusible link on the bulkhead connector that powers the cabin so check that first. Oh and disconnect that battery before you start playing with wiring. Just do a visual inspection of al the wiring. If you don't find anything burnt, cut, or disconnected then we can go into some diagnostic testing.

Do you have the factory service manual for the car? You can download one for the 69s. Close enough though. You can also download the electrical diagrams to get you started with this project.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Scatty the charger

Thanks for the info will check. Currently trying to upload some pictures. I did find a burn wire but it was on the distributor.

Scatty the charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 03, 2016, 09:04:54 PM
Check the main red wire that goes to the wiring block that goes through firewall (under the hood side)
Can get crusty at that connection  
just finished cleaning up the conection. Nothing yet.

Scatty the charger

Quote from: Dino on December 03, 2016, 09:05:12 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisition! Please post pics if you can, we're suckers for pics!   :icon_smile_big:

So what's not getting juice and what is? There's a fusible link on the bulkhead connector that powers the cabin so check that first. Oh and disconnect that battery before you start playing with wiring. Just do a visual inspection of al the wiring. If you don't find anything burnt, cut, or disconnected then we can go into some diagnostic testing.

Do you have the factory service manual for the car? You can download one for the 69s. Close enough though. You can also download the electrical diagrams to get you started with this project.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=27
Thanks will definitely download them. Where exactly is this fusible link at?.

Dino

Look at the firewall on the driver side, high up. There's a black rectangular box about 2 x 3 inches where all the wiring collects. Below it is the starter relay. There will be a small wire connecting both. That's your link.

Scatty the charger

Quote from: Dino on December 03, 2016, 09:47:04 PM
Look at the firewall on the driver side, high up. There's a black rectangular box about 2 x 3 inches where all the wiring collects. Below it is the starter relay. There will be a small wire connecting both. That's your link.
I belive this is it. It is cut.

Dino

That will kill all power going to the cabin so there's your problem.

A common issue with this old wiring is the connectors themselves so to be safe you should remove the three plugs from the bulkhead and clean up the contacts as best as you can. However, be aware that the plastic may be very brittle. When I took mine apart it literally disintegrated and I had to buy a new connector. That in itself wasn't bad but if you have A/C it's a bt hard to reach. Not impossible though.

Are you planning to remove the instrument cluster for any reason? Because if so I would make it a priority to check the power wires at the alternator gauge. When they get loose or cruddy they build up resistance and can cause a fire.

Which brings me to this: do you want to keep everything stock or are you planning on some upgrades? There are a few things you can do to improve the charging system and lights and such.

Scatty the charger

Quote from: Dino on December 04, 2016, 10:10:52 AM
That will kill all power going to the cabin so there's your problem.

A common issue with this old wiring is the connectors themselves so to be safe you should remove the three plugs from the bulkhead and clean up the contacts as best as you can. However, be aware that the plastic may be very brittle. When I took mine apart it literally disintegrated and I had to buy a new connector. That in itself wasn't bad but if you have A/C it's a bt hard to reach. Not impossible though.

Are you planning to remove the instrument cluster for any reason? Because if so I would make it a priority to check the power wires at the alternator gauge. When they get loose or cruddy they build up resistance and can cause a fire.

Which brings me to this: do you want to keep everything stock or are you planning on some upgrades? There are a few things you can do to improve the charging system and lights and such.

I am planning to get her up and running reliably. So I will definitely check the power wires on the alternator gauge. I wouldn't mind improving the charging system.

Dino

There's a few ways of doing so. You can keep the stock alternator gauge or you can get rid of it or disconnect it. I made a volt meter to look stock and am running that instead. I've changed the charging system to make it more reliable and a bit more fire proof!