News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Intro and tire size questions..

Started by Vegas_Nick, December 06, 2016, 09:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegas_Nick

First...yeah I looked and I can't quite find exactly what I am looking for.   :icon_smile_big:

New guy here from Las Vegas... haven't touched a Mopar product since I worked at a dealership in the 80's. (Yeah, in the day of the mighty 2.2 turbo!)

At any rate, I recently picked up a  a 71 Charger project car. I am an avid off roader, so we're building somewhat of a faux pre-runner. I say faux for now because I will start fabbing up and working on a coilover suspension for the front end over the next year. Probably caging it, etc.

Right now, I want to get on the road. The smallest size tire that I can get in the style I want to put on is a 31.6Dx10.4W (265/75/16)  I am looking at guys with 50's in the back and I know those are at least 11" wide but I am not sure if I can stuff a 31" tire up in there. I am guessing the front will be equally as tight. Any idea if these will even come close to being able to fit without too much metal bending?

Whatever I do, I really want to stay with the 16" wheel, and really want to keep the same size tire on front and back. The taller the better. I want the thing to sit tall, level and tough.

And thanks ahead of time for not calling me a dumbass. I admin for several Toyota off road forums and I know how it is to have 50 people a week show up asking "will this tire size worK?!

funknut

Welcome!  I have no idea on tire sizing, so can't help you there, but if you're the same guy I remember you from FJCruiserForums, then it's great to have you here.  Life took a turn and I ended up selling the FJ, but hey.

Great group of guys here and more than willing to help.

Vegas_Nick

Thanks man!

Kind of the same here. Pretty sure the FJ and the camper is going up for sale in January. I can't be without a project!

funknut

VegasCharger

From VegasCharger to Vegas_Nick welcome  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Las Vegas resident here myself. By any chance did you just recently purchase your 71 Charger up in Mesquite, NV? The reason I ask is that I seen a Craigslist ad for a 71 Charger project and the ad has since been removed. I believe it was orange in color.

Anyway welcome aboard and I'm sure others will weigh in about your off road topics as that is not my specialty.

:cheers: :cheers:

Kern Dog

I really wanted to be a Mopar guy in the 80s but I never could get revved up over front wheel drive anything. The styling of the K car platform didn't appeal to me.
Soooo....You are looking to make some type of Mad Max Fury Road sort of stance, I take it? In High School, a buddy had a 71 Charger with 33" tires out back. He did an axle flip to get the back end up about 5" over stock. He cranked the torsion bars waaaay up too. Not the hot handling setup but it sure looked aggressive!

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: VegasCharger on December 06, 2016, 10:53:36 PM
From VegasCharger to Vegas_Nick welcome  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Las Vegas resident here myself. By any chance did you just recently purchase your 71 Charger up in Mesquite, NV? The reason I ask is that I seen a Craigslist ad for a 71 Charger project and the ad has since been removed. I believe it was orange in color.

Anyway welcome aboard and I'm sure others will weigh in about your off road topics as that is not my specialty.

:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks man!
This was was owned by another buddy that I off road with. He's on the south end of the valley.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 07, 2016, 12:23:21 AM
I really wanted to be a Mopar guy in the 80s but I never could get revved up over front wheel drive anything. The styling of the K car platform didn't appeal to me.
Soooo....You are looking to make some type of Mad Max Fury Road sort of stance, I take it? In High School, a buddy had a 71 Charger with 33" tires out back. He did an axle flip to get the back end up about 5" over stock. He cranked the torsion bars waaaay up too. Not the hot handling setup but it sure looked aggressive!

WOW! If he got 33's under there, then aybe the 31's are possible.  ;D

And yeah for now...Mad Max! I am just not ready to make a custom K member and start cutting fenders, etc.

That dealership was my first job out of high school. I wasn't a FWD fan either but I was lucky enough to get hired as an apprentice and work every ay so I did it all, from AC to alignments, electrical, you name it. I bailed a few years later and eventually, after a few career diversions, ended up working on airplanes.

garner7555

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on December 06, 2016, 09:24:05 PM

Right now, I want to get on the road. The smallest size tire that I can get in the style I want to put on is a 31.6Dx10.4W (265/75/16)  I am looking at guys with 50's in the back and I know those are at least 11" wide but I am not sure if I can stuff a 31" tire up in there. I am guessing the front will be equally as tight. Any idea if these will even come close to being able to fit without too much metal bending?

I have a 69, so I can't help you with what size tire will fit on your 71.   I can help with offering up what little I do know.  Metric tire sizing is different than what you're thinking, you mentioned above a 50 series tire being atleast 11" wide.  The first number is the width.  265 is how wide the tire is in mm ( = to 10.4331 inches ).   The middle number is a percentage of the first number, it is the measurement from the wheel lip to the outer part of tread ( 75% of 265 =198.75mm)    (198.75mm  =7.82480315 inches) this number is doubled because it is the measure of how tall the sidewall is, which is on the top and bottom of the wheel  (7.82480315 x 2=15.6496063 inches)  this is added to the wheel diameter  (15.6496063 + 16 =31.6496063  )   So your 265/75/16 should be    31.6496063 x 10.4331 x 16

Sorry for the exact figures, but I didn't round off the number so it would be more clear to people reading my explanation in the future (which it's probably still not clear).    I'm thinking that if you could find some tires that tall but more narrow then it would have a better shot of working.   :shruggy:

Good luck :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

c00nhunterjoe

A 31 inch tall tire will not clear the front and rear of the wheel well.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 07, 2016, 01:04:58 PM

Eh crap! I'll get out the tape measure when I get home and figure out how and what I will do with this. I am "stuck" in Miami till Christmas for Airbus school. I don't dare start caling the wife and have her go measure fender wells, backspacing and such!

JR

I can't offer any help, but dude, start a build thread once it gets underway. This thing sounds like it's gonna be awesome. I wanna see this.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: JR on December 07, 2016, 03:15:16 PM
I can't offer any help, but dude, start a build thread once it gets underway. This thing sounds like it's gonna be awesome. I wanna see this.

Will do!

You know I was worried about torsion bar suspension right off of the bat, but seeing as how Petty used it, it must have some merit!

Kern Dog

Uhhh...it will if the axle is spaced away from the body far enough.

birdsandbees

Airbus school...I thought they flew themselves...  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 07, 2016, 08:27:11 PM

I actually found a pic of 31" tall drag slicks on one today. It's a full fender for sure. I think I can do it. May have to roll the fenders some. I don't really want to tub this thing.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: birdsandbees on December 07, 2016, 08:33:12 PM
Airbus school...I thought they flew themselves...  :lol:

They damn near do! They also tell you where it hurts when they are broke.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Vegas_Nick on December 07, 2016, 09:33:15 PM

I actually found a pic of 31" tall drag slicks on one today. It's a full fender for sure. I think I can do it. May have to roll the fenders some. I don't really want to tub this thing.
[/quote]

The buddy that I had claimed he had 33" tires. I never measured them. Actual size always seem to run smaller than the numerical listing. The people that call a 31 and 1/2" tire a 33 must be men. Every guy seems to brag about having it bigger than it actually is.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 07, 2016, 11:46:50 PM
The buddy that I had claimed he had 33" tires. I never measured them. Actual size always seem to run smaller than the numerical listing. The people that call a 31 and 1/2" tire a 33 must be men. Every guy seems to brag about having it bigger than it actually is.

hahah! No doubt!