News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk mounted battery ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, December 08, 2016, 05:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

When you have a battery in the trunk where do you run the cables ? I was thinking inside along the center hump and through the firewall by the gas peddle and run the ground to a bellhousing bolt and the positive to the starter relay and yes the cable is pricey.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Brads70

I ran mine along the rocker panel ( on the inside) Neat and tidy and out of the way.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 08, 2016, 05:17:53 PM
   When you have a battery in the trunk where do you run the cables ? I was thinking inside along the center hump and through the firewall by the gas pedal and run the ground to a bellhousing bolt and the positive to the starter relay. Yes the cable is pricey.

I ran mine from the battery forward toward the seatback, left to the left wheel tub, under the seat and then tucked in along the inner left rocker along with the taillight and dome wiring. I ran it through the firewall using a plastic type grommet and directly to the starter. I bridged the terminals on the starter. The car was then wired to have that big 1/0 starter cable live ONLY when the car is being started. I wired everything through a 4 post FORD starter solenoid.

Highbanked Hauler

I figured on using a ford solenoid.  Don't you run the cable from the battery  to one side of the solenoid and then another cable  down to the starter with a smaller wire from the small post on the starter to a small post on the solenoid ??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kern Dog

Sort of.

I essentially connected the two terminals on the starter solenoid together. The way I figured it, the only time they need power is to start the car, at that point, both are energized anyway. I made a small sheet metal "buss" and bridged the terminals together, then attached the 1/0 cable to the big lug. I ran a start wire 10ga from the starter relay to the FORD solenoid.
Turn the key and a moment before the starter engages, I hear the FORD solenoid click.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 08, 2016, 09:59:36 PM
Sort of.

I essentially connected the two terminals on the starter solenoid together. The way I figured it, the only time they need power is to start the car, at that point, both are energized anyway. I made a small sheet metal "buss" and bridged the terminals together, then attached the 1/0 cable to the big lug. I ran a start wire 10ga from the starter relay to the FORD solenoid.
Turn the key and a moment before the starter engages, I hear the FORD solenoid click.

So you still use the mopar starter relay  too ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Kern Dog