News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gauge Cluster Resto - Redline, Just Dashes, Or Instrument Specialties?

Started by krigel, December 11, 2016, 08:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

Good day! My car is now completely stripped and the body is at the paint shop on a rotisserie. I'm dealing with the sub assemblies, and was going to send out my cluster to be restored/upgraded to a volt meter. Who is a better choice - Redline, Just Dashes, or Instrument Specialties? I'm on the west side of Canada, so shipping will be a pain regardless.

Thanks!

KR

Lennard

No personal experience but I've read and heard good things about Red line in California.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Charger-Bodie

I've had a couple done at instrument specialties. That's who I would reccomend. Performance car graphix does great to thought.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

303 Mopar

Redline did my gauges in my '71 Challenger and did a great job!  I had them move some gauges around and add one of their OEM looking tach's.  I plan to send them my Charger gauges when I get to it and would recommend them.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Lennard

I called Red line today to ask how much it costs to convert my amp gauge to a volt gauge.  $240! :eek2:

303 Mopar

Quote from: Lennard on December 12, 2016, 08:02:03 PM
I called Red line today to ask how much it costs to convert my amp gauge to a volt gauge.  $240! :eek2:

Anyone else have an exact stock looking Volt gauge?  I couldn't find one.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Lennard

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 12, 2016, 08:09:33 PM

Nobody manufactures a stock looking volt gauge.

M5Ivan

I sent mine off to AutoInstruments in VA to have the dials redone, tach fixed, re-letter the odometer wheel, quartz clock conversion, solid state voltage limiter, new brake warning light lense and all instruments re-calibrated. I plan to report the results when I get it back.

Before picture:

timmycharger

Quote from: M5Ivan on December 24, 2016, 12:29:04 PM
I sent mine off to AutoInstruments in VA to have the dials redone, tach fixed, re-letter the odometer wheel, quartz clock conversion, solid state voltage limiter, new brake warning light lense and all instruments re-calibrated. I plan to report the results when I get it back.

Before picture:

Did all the same you did with Autoinstraments as well, I had the lens polished out too, I thought they did a fantastic job, here are some pics, sorry for the poor quality.

Dino

Quote from: Lennard on December 12, 2016, 08:25:42 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 12, 2016, 08:09:33 PM

Nobody manufactures a stock looking volt gauge.

I do! But I don't have time to do more than just my own so I posted a whole how to for those who want to play around with it.   :icon_smile_big:
I can't believe this is more than 2 years ago already!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,108698.0.html
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

armor64

not on the same level at all to what is being done by the restorers, but i have done a test run with a autometer volt gauge and clearance the cluster to just clear the back of the gauge(with gauge pod removed). then painted the white stripe over the face to get it close. im going to be getting a vinyl face set for the cluster and adapt the amp one better than face paintjob.

Lennard

I just got two Autogage 2356 voltmeters in the mail that I'm going to convert exactly as Dino did. I'm not going to pay $240 a piece to let Redline gaugeworks convert mine if I can get the same result for $30 a piece.

Finn

Just had a 70 challenger gauge cluster redone by Redline, they did an excellent job. They're also like 10 minutes from me...
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Lennard

Quote from: Finn on January 26, 2017, 09:33:58 PM
Just had a 70 challenger gauge cluster redone by Redline, they did an excellent job. They're also like 10 minutes from me...
They definitely deliver great work... I just can't justify spending $480 for two amp to volt meter conversions. :scratchchin:

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

M5Ivan

Got my instrument cluster back from from AutoInstruments today. They did a great job and even polished the plastic lens for free. I did the quartz clock conversion and a solid state voltage limiter too.
Here's the after picture (The before picture is posted above)

Dino

Gorgeous!   :2thumbs:

Redoing my instrument cluster was by far the most gratifying change done to date. You look at it all the time and it's a joy to see it looking brand new and functioning perfectly. Once I had the LEDs in I couldn't wait for it to get dark out.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

M5Ivan

Added LED bulbs to the restored cluster. I ended up bypassing the dimmer as it didn't work very well with the LEDs. Thy even work in the turn signals even though I'd read somewhere that they wouldn't. I don't remember if I took this picture before I removed the blue light covers in the cluster as the LEDs don't fit well with them in place. They end up pushing against the the end of the cover and weren't grounding well as a result. When I removed the covers, I had no grounding issues and they were a little brighter (but not too bright).

comet_666

Mine was so shot I went with Dakota Digital. Less than $1000

M5Ivan

If anyone is considering having their cluster redone, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Gentry at Autoinstruments. They really did an amazing job on the restoration and calibration. In addition, there was some user error on my part in the reinstallation and Gentry gave me his cell number to call him after hours to work through the issue while I was with the car. I decided to fix it on my own with his help, but he said he'd be glad to do it for free and turn it around in 24 hours. Great service!!

Mopar Crazy

I can only say stay away from D&M Restorations out of SC. Gave them my dash cluster at Carlisle, and went through 7 months of hell. Received it damaged from UPS and the crappy old box they shipped it in. After months of waiting for D&M to settle with UPS, they fixed it and re-shipped it in the same old box. Unreal.. Never again.
I'm Very uncertain whats gonna happen when I plug it in.
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Kern Dog

I went with the Dakota Digital too. I also opted for the blue lighting.

Kern Dog

darbgnik

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 02, 2017, 01:54:50 AM
Woooo.
I've got that same Grant wheel in my Hummer. I actually have the Grant leather Tuff look wheel in the box for the Charger.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

When the HumVee was first offered as a civilian modelway back in the 90s, I saw a guy on the freeway with a personalized license plate.

HUMMRMN
Uhhh, Hummer man?  If this guy was heterosexual, I'll bet it came as an embarrassing surprise when he realized what others were thinking about him.  :smilielol:

pipeliner