News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats the best black undercoating paint?

Started by 1batt4u, December 16, 2016, 09:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1batt4u

Hi all,

Wanted to know, what is the best undercoating paint to use?

I used spray cans over 10 years ago on my Trans Am. I believe I used Dupli-Color. Didn't have a smooth finish and became brittle and flaking off.

I wont use POR-15 again, don't like it, and will not remove paint to undercoat.

I am looking for a good tough paint that will go on smooth, as long as the area is smooth. Works with rust, stops it, and don't have to take paint off to bare metal to paint on. I have minimal rust, surface rust, nothing major. As long as I clean everything under, or even trunk area and inside floors, I just want to paint on so it can bond good and tough.

Looking to brush on not spray.

Any recommendations??

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1batt4u

Mopar Nut

Applies smooth and dries to a tough textured finish.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1batt4u

Looking for something that has a smooth finish.

Dino

If it's smooth it's not really undercoating. Lizard skin is fairly smooth but I don't recall if it can be brushed on.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

It sounds like you want black epoxy primer. 

maxwellwedge

Unless your car is a factory undercoat car not sure what you are trying to do.
Factory Mopars are usually gray dip primer underneath with a little bit of body color overspray.....the LA plant used black dip primer.

1batt4u

Other than undercoating the car, I have a full roll cage in my General Lee. It needs painting, surface rust. That's one of the reasons I need smooth finish. I don't want a textured finish on it.

stripedelete

4 parts boiled linseed oil, one part Penetrol.  Brush on.  When dry, brush on rustoluem.
Mixture does not like shiny clean metal or flaking rust.  (same as por 15, I think)

I usually give surface a quick hit with a wire brush.

I use it on outdoor machinery as well as wood trailer beds.

blakemon

I know others are happy with chassis saver. It is similar to por-15 but easier to apply.