News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

strong cleaner for moldy interior

Started by lukedukem, December 28, 2016, 03:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukedukem

I was wondering what a good product would be for cleaning the interior pieces that have mold on them from sitting in the car out in the elements. like the glove box door and arm rests. stuff like that, the vinyl stuff. here is a pic of the glove box door, I used water and a rag and scrubbed hard, but I'm worried to use any pad or scrub brush, don't want to scratchy it up. and I'm not sure what cleaner to use that wont harm it either, but needs to cut this stuff good.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

ODZKing

lukedukem

I didn't even think of boat stuff. Doh, and I own a boat. Lol
Thanks guys

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Lennard

I have a very nice black glove box door for sale if you're interested.

lukedukem

Quote from: Lennard on December 29, 2016, 09:17:26 AM

If this cleaner doesn't work. I will be. I'll let you know

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Lennard

Quote from: lukedukem on December 30, 2016, 07:22:05 PM
Quote from: Lennard on December 29, 2016, 09:17:26 AM

If this cleaner doesn't work. I will be. I'll let you know

Luke
:thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

lukedukem

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on December 30, 2016, 10:28:04 PM
Tilex bathroom cleaner

I have some of that, but it says it contains bleach. Won't that be bad for it, maybe dry it out or turn it white? I'm not doubting your knowledge, just want to make sure before I go spraying it on. Not sure what bleach does to vinyl. Does the stuff you use have bleach? Maybe it's the kind I have

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: lukedukem on December 31, 2016, 09:54:13 AM
Tilex bathroom cleaner

I have some of that, but it says it contains bleach. Won't that be bad for it, maybe dry it out or turn it white? I'm not doubting your knowledge, just want to make sure before I go spraying it on. Not sure what bleach does to vinyl. Does the stuff you use have bleach? Maybe it's the kind I have

Luke

I've used it before with good results.  It, as always ,make sure to try it somewhere hidden to make sure it's safe in you case.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Troy

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on December 31, 2016, 10:25:53 AM
Tilex bathroom cleaner

Luke

I've used it before with good results.  It, as always ,make sure to try it somewhere hidden to make sure it's safe in you case.
In that link I posted above (boat stuff) they discuss that bleach will rot threads and the proposed solution was to rinse thoroughly with water. I doubt the concentration of bleach is very high. It only takes a small amount to kill mold. But whatever you do, you want to kill it and not just clean it off or it will come right back.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ODZKing

Tilex bathroom cleaner

Luke
So does Scrubbing Bubbles but it is mild.  I have used it on the entire interior with out problems. My interior(s) are both white and I wish I could get them whiter but I am afraid to go any stronger.  Last thing I need is to eat through the material. MY wife did a mixture cleanser (like Comet) and water with a tooth brush and did our seats in the 67. Rinsing all the time but they did come out good.
The Scrubbing Bubbles were the only thing that would get her tan convertible top clean as well as the rubber fillers on my 73. I would imagine Tilex is about the same stuff.

stripedelete

OdzKing is correct Scrubbing Bubbles is awesome.  But, it does not contain bleach.  The active ingredient is Amonium Chloride.

I have had amazing results on both leather and cloth.  Seats that I thought were throw away look new. However,   I don't have much experience on vynil or black.  So test it on a piece that doesn't show or another piece of vynil.

There are some Utubes on how to use it.  Basically, spray on and give it a few minutes then using a soft scrub brush, lightly scrub in one direction with an upward flicking motion.  This get the dirt off that the bubbles  have lifted off the surface instead of mashing it in.

The advantage of SB is that it lifts dirt, unlike other miracle cleaners that break it down and release it into the cushion.

It drys out the material so after a few ours hit it with vynil conditioner.

Edit:  Make sure to wipe it down with water after scrubbing.

ODZKing

Quote from: stripedelete on December 31, 2016, 12:49:40 PM
OdzKing is correct Scrubbing Bubbles is awesome.  But, it does not contain bleach.  The active ingredient is Amonium Chloride.

I have had amazing results on both leather and cloth.  Seats that I thought were throw away look new. However,   I don't have much experience on vynil or black.  So test it on a piece that doesn't show or another piece of vynil.

There are some Utubes on how to use it.  Basically, spray on and give it a few minutes then using a soft scrub brush, lightly scrub in one direction with an upward flicking motion.  This get the dirt off that the bubbles  have lifted off the surface instead of mashing it in.

The advantage of SB is that it lifts dirt, unlike other miracle cleaners that break it down and release it into the cushion.

It drys out the material so after a few ours hit it with vynil conditioner.

Edit:  Make sure to wipe it down with water after scrubbing.

Hmm, I haven't looked at the ingredients in quite some time. Not sure why I thought it contained bleach ... maybe it did at one time, dunno.
Either way, it works great!  ;)

lukedukem

Thanks guys. I have some tilex and I got some 3m vinyl cleaner in the mail. I'm gonna try both. On the arm rest I just used simple green cleaner and elbow grease, but they aren't as bad as this door. And the dash too, it's bad also.
I might do a section with each and see. Won't be till Monday

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC