News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help Please. Need info on bird headliner install and pictures

Started by chaaargerb, December 31, 2016, 10:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

:coolgleamA: I,m back at it and I'm ready to tackle the head liner. I have been looking at different disassembly and reassembly pics and I have a few questions.
On the rear package tray there is a metal rod to help hold down the headliner. I haven't gone thru all on my boxes but I can't seem to find it. It looks like just a headliner bow that has been modified. Is it just on the drivers side or both sides.Does anyone have an extra one they would want to part with. Also the rear rubber molding around the rear window. If I remember there is a molding to match the rubber gasket. I could use a picture of that. I haven.t found that gasket or the molding. I know I took them off when I disassembled the car so I should have them but I don't remember that metal rod. If anyone has pictures of there cars showing the fit and finish of the headliner that would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. :2thumbs: 

chaaargerb

Found the rear headliner gasket and the clip. I think the clip goes on the top of the rear window frame.

RealWing

A few pics from my restoration. Hope these help. There are 2 rods - one for each side to hold the headliner in place.
Jim

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

RealWing

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

RealWing

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

RealWing

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

chaaargerb

Thanks for the Pics.  Do they look like the same material (Metal/Shape) as the headliner bows? I was thinking that was what I would make them out of.

RealWing

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

birdsandbees

If remember in the morning.. I'll go measure mine. I have the package tray loose in the back of my Bird.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Hemi Runner

Great pictures guys. One question. Are the superbird headliner teeth around the plug modified original 70 b-body pieces as it was built or are they originally from some other application and adapted to the bird plug?

birdsandbees

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 02, 2017, 08:08:56 PM
If remember in the morning.. I'll go measure mine. I have the package tray loose in the back of my Bird.

Mine are about a 1/4" wide and about 3/16 thick. Rounded edges but kind of like a rectangle shape. I assume they're original and this shape would have made for easier bend control..... or someone made mine  :shruggy:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

rickroadrunner

Did all Superbirds have these bars?
I am about to fit my headliner, however when I removed the original liner they were no there. The parcel shelf had speakers in it, so a possibility that they have been removed. Are they really needed. The liner seemed OK without them.

chaaargerb

Okay I have to get some pics of my window area. What are your guys vin numbers? Mine is a later build vin 178644. My package tray and rear window channel both had metal work done on them so the holes are not visible in mine. Rickroadrunner are all 4 holes in your panel? Mine also has more grabber parts around the rear window. I'l get some pics today.

chaaargerb

Here are some pictures of mine. I still have to clean and paint the underside of the roof skin. Jim on your green car did you paint the underside roof all green? If you did can you see it thru the holes in the headliner? I was going to paint mine black but trim the edges with orange. The metal work on the corners was done in the early 90,s before all the repo panels came out. Maybe not as nice as today's resto's but pretty good for the time.

RealWing

My Superbird is a 162XXX VIN built mid November.
Yes, I did have the whole interior sprayed in LimeLight including the roof. You can't see the green through the headliner.

Interesting that you don't have the holes to install the rods?? Seems very doubtful that someone would have welded them up - so more likely they were not punched in the stamping plant???? I looked through my files of old Chrysler Superbird development documents but didnt see any mention of any changes affecting these hold-down rods.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

chaaargerb

I wonder if  Rickroadrunner's car has the holes? It doesn't look like he had the bows installed in his. I know for sure that mine had work done on the rear package tray and it is possible that part might have been replaced.

rickroadrunner

My build date was november 18. I do not have the 4 holes, only the 2 elongated holes in front of the diagonal brace. My car was untouched, so no way the holes were welded up.
Maybe the bars were not standard and had been added at some stage?

chaaargerb

Looks like my build /assembly date was Tues Dec 9 in and Wed Dec 10 out.

RealWing

Quote from: rickroadrunner on January 05, 2017, 06:44:11 AM
My build date was november 18. I do not have the 4 holes, only the 2 elongated holes in front of the diagonal brace. My car was untouched, so no way the holes were welded up.

Wierd
My build date is before yours and I have the holes!!!

I looked through the Superbird Parts List and cant see anything that looks like these retainer rods!!
The mystery deepens!!!
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

hemi68charger

Quote from: RealWing on January 05, 2017, 03:25:49 PM
Quote from: rickroadrunner on January 05, 2017, 06:44:11 AM

Wierd
My build date is before yours and I have the holes!!!

I looked through the Superbird Parts List and cant see anything that looks like these retainer rods!!
The mystery deepens!!!
Jim

This was probably a "wing it" sort of thing.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

thehemikid

The best I can remember which was over 10 yrs ago, the rods cross section was triangulated with large radius corners,... Not a lot of flat areas.

Also appears not all rods were bent the same.

chaaargerb

It looks like a regular headliner bow that they modified. In thehemikids picture it looks like it has green paint on the end. The second headliner bow for my car also has green on the end.

chaaargerb

Better pictures

chaaargerb

I just put it on the deck and it looks pretty close

chaaargerb

Well I've given it some thought and I would like to add these headliner hold downs to my car. I think they will be helpful in the install of the headliner and help to keep the headliner attached. I live out in farm country and most the roads are 55+mile per hour, with the windows open that will put a lot of wind pressure on the
headliner.  So if any of you fellow bird owners have your back seats out and want to measure where the 4 holes are punched/size of holes and the length of the rods I would greatly appreciate all the help. If you can take pics that would be really helpful to.  :2thumbs:

rickroadrunner

Would anybody be able to post some photos of the headliner installed? The plastic molding strip that holds the headliner in place at the rear window, it is a long strip, is the join at the top or the bottom? Thanks

Hemi Runner

Quote from: rickroadrunner on January 15, 2017, 08:13:34 AM
Would anybody be able to post some photos of the headliner installed? The plastic molding strip that holds the headliner in place at the rear window, it is a long strip, is the join at the top or the bottom? Thanks
The standard B-body uses a multiple piece set up. Is the superbird a one piece strip? Where do you buy these?

RealWing

Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 20, 2017, 08:31:22 AM
The standard B-body uses a multiple piece set up. Is the superbird a one piece strip? Where do you buy these?
Yes the Superbird has a 1 piece strip and it is virtually impossible to find one.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

chaaargerb

I'm back at it. I have taken pics of the molding and special clip to put the molding together.  The molding is just about 10 feet long. Looks like I got lucky the molding didn't shrink from being off the car for so many years.

chaaargerb

Molding pics

chaaargerb

More Pics

chaaargerb

Troy is Helping me with some of the info I needed on the package tray headliner rod and hole placement. But I still could use some help with other headliner pictures. The big question I have right now is when Troy started researching the Package tray headliner rod he was able to check 2 cars and both cars only had the rod on the drivers side. Anyone able to check and see if they have 1 bow or 2 ? Thanks to Troy and everyone else trying to help. :2thumbs:

Hemi Runner

Quote from: RealWing on January 20, 2017, 09:06:13 AM
Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 20, 2017, 08:31:22 AM
Yes the Superbird has a 1 piece strip and it is virtually impossible to find one.
It looks the same as the 68-72 GM front window windlace. Somebody has to make this in a bulk roll.

RealWing

Quote from: chaaargerb on January 20, 2017, 01:42:18 PM
Troy is Helping me with some of the info I needed on the package tray headliner rod and hole placement. But I still could use some help with other headliner pictures. The big question I have right now is when Troy started researching the Package tray headliner rod he was able to check 2 cars and both cars only had the rod on the drivers side. Anyone able to check and see if they have 1 bow or 2 ? Thanks to Troy and everyone else trying to help. :2thumbs:

Mine had 2 rods
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

bannedbird

Not sure if this helps. Appears original (28,000 mile car).  Center bottom as you can see. 
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

birdsandbees

Mine only has the rod on the passenger side... I assume someone lost the one for the other side...
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

bannedbird

Probably worthless photos, but you never know. This is bottom drivers side corner. Not sure if that is overflow on top of trim, or melted trim.

chaaargerb

I wasn't sure if the clip was on the top or bottom. Looking at yours it makes more sense. Those are the kind of pictures I'm looking for. 

RealWing

Quote from: bannedbird on January 20, 2017, 07:35:19 PM
Probably worthless photos, but you never know. This is bottom drivers side corner. Not sure if that is overflow on top of trim, or melted trim.

Kind of looks like some of the rear window sealant was squeezed out during installation of the glass?
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

bannedbird

I'm not sure about the "clip" always being at the bottom on Aero Mopars.  With the fastback rear window, it had to be a PAIN to reach back there at the bottom.  Corporate probably said it looked to obvious at top dead center.  My theory is the installing person may have done the easy button and put it at the top.  The Foreman/Supervisor may have agreed that if it saved time, do the easy way.  So we may see C-500's, 'Tona's, and 'Bird's with clip either top or bottom.  Just a theory.  Unless it was more likely to fall off if at top?  Do we know if the clip is used on another Mopar?

For time stamping, my 'Bird is VIN 165381 was in and out of Clairpointe on Friday, 14-NOV-1969 (per the "NASCAR Race Program 1920" list).

chaaargerb

I reinstalled the gasket with the clip on the bottom and it seems to fit a lot better. I'm sure they installed the headliner with the rear window out and it would be a lot easier to install the gasket this way.

bannedbird

Looks good. Yeah, doing install pre-window makes sense.

hemi68charger

Quote from: chaaargerb on January 06, 2017, 06:15:38 PM
I just put it on the deck and it looks pretty close

Bob, that picture you have is incorrect. The rear hole for the rear tip of the retaining rod needs to be on the outboard side of that square opening in the package tray. That is where the headliner material will fall into then the windlace section will fit over it and the edge of that square opening... Notice the relative position of the rod to the square opening in my original picture..

PS> the outline template of my rod is in the mail today. Hopefully you should get it before Friday or Saturday. The rod does look to be nothing more than a headliner bow....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

chaaargerb

Troy, The picture I took of the rod on the package tray was to see if the bend and angle was correct over the package tray. I was only using the preexisting hole that was there. I finished painting the inside roof yesterday and I should be in the trunk today to clean up the underside of the package tray. I can't believe the little amount of paint and primer they used on these cars. :'(  If everything goes right I should be hanging the headliner this weekend.

chaaargerb

Got the template today and made some rods. I'm going to send one to Troy to match it up with his original. Thanks Again Troy :2thumbs:.

chaaargerb

Hey if anyone has their rear seat out and could you take the measurement for the holes on the package tray behind the seat? I have some pictures but I would be guessing at the placement.  The hole that the bottom of the rod goes into. Any help would be great!

hemi68charger

Here's another picture of driver's side with the headliner still in.. You can see the small hole right next to the side quarter panel.. It isn't the obvious one, it is up by the corner of the back of the seat frame..
Troy

hemi68charger

Bob..
Here's a picture of your handy work in recreating a headliner tension rod for the Superbird using my original for a template. Top one with the green markings is the original. Excellent job.

Also, here are some pictures of the inside rear window area of a unrestored survivor Superbird
Troy

chaaargerb

Troy
Thanks for your help. The pictures of your friends car are exactly what  I was looking for. It sounds like there's a couple of us putting headliners in so all the information helps the masses.  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: chaaargerb on January 31, 2017, 01:21:58 PM
... sounds like there's a couple of us putting headliners in so all the information helps the masses.  :2thumbs:

Hopefully I will two in about 4 months...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

chaaargerb

Just got the headliner in. Next I'm going to do the Under Dash Stuff. :2thumbs:

chaaargerb

bannedbird

oldcarnut

I'm working on the back of mine now.   Gonna have to make those package tray hold down but my question is what was done to the sides in the sail panel area? I haven't seen that mentioned and wondered if they were glued or just pulled down by the rods?  The back side seems a little to uneven to glue and have it smooth. 

chaaargerb

The headliner pretty much glues down on the package tray. The sail panels don't get glued. I did glue by the side window and lower on the inside side panel. 

RealWing

It is glued to the package tray. THis is a disassembly photo of my bird. You can see there was lots of glue sprayed onto this area.
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Sgt Superbird

I know this is really late in the string of messages, but when I restored my Bird from 1990-2000, I was able to research a handful of untouched Superbirds, which were not that "old" at the time.  Of, I believe, three of the cars that had the rods in the them, there was only 1 present.  They appeared to be (and I was also told) that they were merely headliner bows, cut and bent.  That's how I made mine.  The original ones I saw were angled/bent, not as "curved" as I saw in some of the other pictures on this topic.  It APPEARS these were just bent in whatever shape (so angled or radiused may not matter), and they were used to assist - as a guide - to stretch the headliner in the sailpanel area (and then maybe removed and used on the other side of the car and left in place?).  Anyway, just my two cents.  It's been awhile, but I even may have some old pictures showing this in an orange Bird. Now I'm curious, and I'm going to look.