News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New to Forum

Started by Bad B-rad, January 06, 2017, 01:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Hello, I am new to the forum,not to the hobby/addiction of mopars. I have had many Moars,and Chargers over the years,but I just bought a 1969 Charger from Cali,that only had two  owners and, the last owner never had it on the road, just had the title put in his name. The Charger is Very rust free and still has factory paint,and # matching eng/trans and rear. It shows just over 7,000 miles on the speedo and was hit in the driver's side quarter in 1985 and has been off the road since then.
I am trying to decode the fender tag and build sheet.  I have done fender tags before on some of my other Chargers,but this is first build sheet that I found, in the car and wanted to decode. The car is so complete and factory appearing that I want to decode the build sheet and check to see if everything is as it should be. What I have so far, is this: a 69 Charger(not R/T) 383 4bbl(holley carb, non HP engine,painted blue with duel snorkel air cleaner)with Air Conditioning, 3 speed wipers, Power steering, Power Brakes(I think build sheet reads Power disc  brakes, but car is power drum) Automatic transmission, column shifted, bucket seats with buddy seat. Paint color is F5,with F8 inside. It is a White hat Special(Green vinyl top, the light package, simulated wood grain steering wheel, hood mounted turn signals, driver side remote side view mirror, deep dish wheels/hubcaps, Whitewall tires) It has the clock ONLY not the tach/clock(tic tack clock). The AM duel thumb wheel Radio. The build sheet says it has the Rallye  suspension(but that might be what all big block non R/T cars had, I don't know),Front sway bar. 
I know its an open 8 3/4 rear and I think it has 3.23:1 gears. It has duel exhaust with headers,and I haven't checked to see if the mufflers are stock or not.
So would my 383 get the HP exhaust manifolds if not what P/N should it have? and what pie tin is correct? I would guess it would be the 383 4BBl one.
Once I figure out how to post photos  I can post my build sheet so maybe someone can help me decode it correctly.  And I can post photos of my 69 charger. Any and all help is welcome, thanks in advance.

Bad B-rad

I forgot to add it has "tinted Glass"(I think all A/C cars had this) and  6 way driver seat adjustment.

Challenger340

Hello and Welcome  :2thumbs:

Tons of knowledge about these Cars here, when you have a chance post a picture of the B-Sheet and I think you will find even more information.

You have to upload the Pic to a host first, then copy the link from the host between the brackets [ ] that appear, when you click the second in from the left icon in the bottom row above(the one that looks like a picture). 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

You can download a photo direct from your computer to the forum, use the "Attach" box located just below the reply form, click "Browse" and select the photo. Pic size is limited to 200kb.

A non-HP 383 wouldn't have the HP exhaust manifolds (casting nos. 280690 right and 2843992 left)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Bad B-rad

thanks I will try to post car pic

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 06, 2017, 01:19:46 PM
I forgot to add it has "tinted Glass"(I think all A/C cars had this)

Tinted glass was recommended with AC, but not required. Click on the link below & look for H51;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/SalesmansPocketGuides/1969/69_Charger_3.jpg

Bad B-rad

Yeah, F5,F8 and top was green.and fender tag and build sheet have the code for tinted glass.

Bad B-rad

just tring to post a few pics/trying to get them below 200kb

Bad B-rad

front pic

Bad B-rad

side with crash damage

Bad B-rad

gauge

Bad B-rad

Rear with the crash damage

Bad B-rad

driver side

69rtse4spd

Welcome, looks like some good bones to start with.

Bad B-rad

here is fender tag,I can't get a clear pic by the time I shrink the kb size to fit(I am not good with computers)

Bad B-rad

looks like it reads as follows:

R11        V1F        26       END
      C33      H51    J25      L31     M21   N31
         A01      A41     B51    C21    C55  G11
               F5      C64      F8         4DR    317800
          E63   D32  XP29    H98          244906                                   

The c64 and 4dr are very hard for me to read and may not be correct, the 4dr may be 4B8
So the car also had wheel trim and door edge trim.

The broadcast sheet is also very hard to read via the photos I took.

RallyeMike

Welcome. Brings back memories of my first car.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Bad B-rad

All four org hub caps are in trunk they all look good just need to be cleaned up.

lukedukem

I love it. What are your plans for it.
What happened to the rear quarter. Do you know the story about what happened

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

VegasCharger

Welcome Bad B-rad  :cheers: :cheers:

Looks like a solid starting 2 gen Charger.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Bad B-rad

It also has a large decal that reads "Karr kit exhaust emissions system" and goes on to say the vacuum advance is removed and is to stay removed. I guess its some thing California made you do back in the 70's. Its funny I wonder if the headers it has on it are part of that system,LOL.
The car is almost totally stock besides the headers, a fiberglass flex fan and 1970 Charger front seats.

Bad B-rad

My plans for this car are to keep it as closes to stock as I can. It has made it this long in that shape I feel I must keep the #'s matching drivetrain as close to stock as I can, I feel like I owe it to the car. I have had many Mopars and many Chargers, and my last Charger a 66 had a 500hp 440, so this one is just a sweet driver, I also have a 2016 R/T Charger.
As far as the story I got was it was owned by one guy,and it was hit in 1985 and then parked,I guess the owner may have passed away because the nephew of the org owner got paper work that gave him the right to sell the car to the man I bought it from, and he had it 15 years and didn't do anything to it except let out the R-12,and remove the valve covers and loosen some head bolts and some of the valve train. I changed all the engine oil and filter, primed the oil system and the engine turns over,but has two stuck valves so I plan on  taking the engine apart and hopefully re-ring and bearing it,do the heads and carb. Also would like to do the stock exhaust manifolds back on it.

tan top

hello & welcome BBR  :cheers:  :2thumbs:   charger looks  good   :coolgleamA:
!!  always best to start with the most  unrestored un messed with car as possible  :yesnod:

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XH29N0G

Nice.  I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....