News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Plymouth radio in a Dodge?

Started by Bad B-rad, January 09, 2017, 01:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Just got the car, a 1969 Dodge Charger, and it is very complete and very stock. The am radio that is in the car looks correct, it fits in the hole correctly, and looks like it has been there forever, but it says Plymouth Division on it or something to that effect. Could that have been the way it came from the factory or has it been swapped out at some point in its lift?
I know Mopar some times just used what they had at the time vs what is 100% correct. I have hear stories of original owners swearing a Plymouth had a magnum pie tin on it when they got it new from the dealer, or some Dodge cars getting the "coyote duster" decal on there air grabber air cleaner top, and so on. So is this the case for me, and this happened to many people here, or was it simply just swapped out because the original one quit working, and the scrap yard/previous owner only had the Plymouth one?
I will go take a photo to post.

303 Mopar

It was swapped someone along the life time of the car.  Dodge and Plymouth were completely separate divisions, separate plants, etc.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Bad B-rad

Bad B-rad

Ok so Dodge and Plymouth were not built in the same plant/building?
Then you must be right the org one must have quit and they got a replacement. Thanks.
It seamed like something that could have been done at the factory,like the vender just shipped a bunch of Plymouth radios to Dodge or something. Because I know I have read that they sometimes put the Plymouth engine pie tins on Dodge engines and vise versa,but maybe that was switch at the engine plant?
So it looks like I now need a radio, dam LOL!

Dino

Just find the cheapest most beat up radio you can find and transfer the dial plate. For a 69 it should say Chrysler. 68s said Dodge.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

birdsandbees

Or just Chryco ... if a built for Canada car.  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Dino

Lazy bums, can't even type out the whole word.   :lol:

Ryan.C

I would just leave it alone. I have never once sat down in a mopar and looked to make sure the name on the radio matched the badges on the car.  :lol:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Bad B-rad

So for 69 it should say Chrysler, and not dodge?
Did they make a Dodge one,and did all 69 Dodges have Chrysler radios, or just certain models?
Great idea about just swaping the name/face plate will save some cash.

70 sublime

Maybe first thing you should do is plug it in to see if it will make any sound
You might not like what you hear sound quality wise or the AM radio stations that it plays

Might want to look for an AM/FM version or an after market upgrade one where they put new guts in the old radio
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Bad B-rad

I think I would like the org radio to function correctly and put a hidden unit under the seat or something.
The last Charger I had the only radio station that came in clearly was 101.BIG BLOCK, that was all engine, all the time. Great station,but tough to take to the drive inn.

Dino

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 10, 2017, 12:54:36 PM
So for 69 it should say Chrysler, and not dodge?

Yes

Did they make a Dodge one,and did all 69 Dodges have Chrysler radios, or just certain models?

Don't know enough about it but b body radios only fit b bodies so for a 69 Charger you need it to say Chrysler.

Great idea about just swaping the name/face plate will save some cash.

crj1968

Quote from: Ryan.C on January 10, 2017, 11:03:07 AM
I would just leave it alone. I have never once sat down in a mopar and looked to make sure the name on the radio matched the badges on the car.  :lol:

lol no kidding.....

I think most of them in the 80's said CRAIG or even KENWOOD if you had real money.

pettybird

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 09, 2017, 02:16:14 PM
Dodge and Plymouth were completely separate divisions, separate plants, etc.

wat?