News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 or 400 compression ratio question

Started by Bad B-rad, January 11, 2017, 09:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Quote from: PRH on January 13, 2017, 12:47:08 PM
IMO, there's really only one cost effective way to go about doing the stock stroke build for this application, and it basically doesn't target any specific hp goal.
It's just built to conform to the application, and then it just makes what it makes.

Rebuild the 383, zero deck with KB400 pistons, stealth heads, mild application friendly cam.
This will be around 9.5cr, and depending on which end of the suitable range of the cam you're on, should make upwards of 365-385hp on pump gas through magnum manifolds and a stock-ish intake(like a DP4B), with something a bit bigger than the OE 383 carb.

My feeling is, if that isn't enough power to satisfy you in this application, the only real solution to more power with no loss of drivability is more cubes.

I think you are correct, and it sucks to spend money twice but if after its built if is not fast enough I could add 100HP with my NOS kit, or a stock looking 440 magnum build. Then car would be correct looking for time period/the way the factory would have done it if it was a 440 car to start with.
I just wanted it to look like it did back when it was just a car(factory org),as if someone bought the car and is using it as intended as an automobile.and a 383 auto with pb,ps,and a/c is correct for my car.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

PRH

QuoteI think you are correct, and it sucks to spend money twice but if after its built if is not fast enough I could add 100HP with my NOS kit, or a stock looking 440 magnum build. Then car would be correct looking for time period/the way the factory would have done it if it was a 440 car to start with.

Like I said earlier......... What you want is a 489 stroker.
It will look and sound exactly the same....... And will have the added 100hp without the need for a NOS kit.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

cdr

Quote from: PRH on January 13, 2017, 02:59:27 PM
QuoteI think you are correct, and it sucks to spend money twice but if after its built if is not fast enough I could add 100HP with my NOS kit, or a stock looking 440 magnum build. Then car would be correct looking for time period/the way the factory would have done it if it was a 440 car to start with.

Like I said earlier......... What you want is a 489 stroker.
It will look and sound exactly the same....... And will have the added 100hp without the need for a NOS kit.

TRUST WHAT THIS MAN IS TELLING YOU !!!!!

I have a 512 built out of a 400 low deck, looks just like the 383 that came out of my 68 Charger & is a BLAST to drive.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Everything you just stated says that this pictured engine is what you want. If so, click the link to view russ's car and build.
http://508charger.yolasite.com/

Bad B-rad

I think the engine in the photo looks just like what I want only thing I would change is stock valve covers over the chrome ones and the intake manifold.

I do not doubt anyone's advice,hope  I don't come across that way. My thinking was that if I was going to do a stroker then I should bite the bullet and use a 440 block and go 500+ CI.
But  I love  the 383's power and relative fuel economy.
Does the 383/400 block have to have much work done for clearance when turning it into 489? Like notches and grinding for the extra stroke/rods?
How does the power come on in a 489?  Right there off idle? I was also thinking of idle to 5500 for the power range,thats why I was thinking Magnum cam.

cdr

Quote from: Bad B-rad on January 13, 2017, 05:14:24 PM
I think the engine in the photo looks just like what I want only thing I would change is stock valve covers over the chrome ones and the intake manifold.

I do not doubt anyone's advice,hope  I don't come across that way. My thinking was that if I was going to do a stroker then I should bite the bullet and use a 440 block and go 500+ CI.
But  I love  the 383's power and relative fuel economy.
Does the 383/400 block have to have much work done for clearance when turning it into 489? Like notches and grinding for the extra stroke/rods?
How does the power come on in a 489?  Right there off idle? I was also thinking of idle to 5500 for the power range,thats why I was thinking Magnum cam.

512 cid on a 400 block, very little grinding to clear the rod bolts.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

your asking for ONLY 450 HP from a 383???  really???  That's it?  Its easy to get 450HP on a 383.......

I had a 383 motor with 505HP and would do 390+ HP to the RWHP and I had big pimp rims 20s back there was told I could have more HP if I went back to the 15inch magnums then it would throw down 400 to 420HP.

https://youtu.be/adApvKUbcUU

c00nhunterjoe

Bad B-rad

That's what I would like 450HP and looking dead balls stock doing it.

73chgrSE

c00nhunterjoe

:iagree: 2 years, any updates? But he hasnt logged in since may of 18, so doubtful.