News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are 68 A-Body seats the same as 68/69/B-body?

Started by Bad B-rad, January 18, 2017, 03:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Will the front bucket seats from a 68 A-body, fit and be correct,(once re covered with new foam) for a 69 B-body(Charger)?

I was told that 68 and 69 seats are the same(frame wise)and that "A" Body and "B" body front buckets were the same for 68 and 69 years, is that correct?
can you strip a 68/69 A body seat and new foam and recover it and it would work for 69 B-body?

Dino

The frames do interchange yeah so you can definitely put b body foam and covers on an a body frame, but I thought there was a difference in riser height between the two. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bad B-rad

That helps. I had thought that the b-body seats were the same from 66-69 . But some people on here told me no 66-67 same and 68-69are the same but not 66-69.
I thought the basic frames were the same if you changed the foam and covers.
Then someone told me not only were 68-69 the same but that in 68-69 "A" body and "B" body seat frames are the same. I just want a set of 69 seats and I dont want to pay $850 bucks for some thing that I have to take apart and buy $250 foam and then $300 covers.

Dino

Yeah the seat prices have become ridiculous. Who cares if you get original foam and covers when they're torn apart? All you're really buying are frames. After buying preformed foam, additional foam to thicken the seat, covers (good ones), burlap, hog rings and pliers, and having to clean and paint the frames, a pair of front seats will be closing in on the grand mark. And I hope you don't mind sliding around because you'll have zero support with these seats!   :lol:

The new rally foam and covers is a nice option for drivers. I still think I'll make my own supportive seats with covers that look stock when the time comes. For now, the center console armrest and a 3 point seat belt keep me in place.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Bad B-rad

10-4 on the no support. and sliding around!!!
6 or 7 Years ago I had a front set of 66 Charger seats redone, with new foam and covers(think it was all from Legendary) and they didn't offer any support and you did slide around BUT they looked GREAT!!!!!! and they were sweet to sit in, so glad I got the new foam. I almost wanted a set for my living room they were so comfortable.
I just had the original 66 seats dropped off at the guy who restored them and it cost me $700 bucks. So if I have to pay $850 to buy a set and then have them redone for me it's closer to $1700 bucks. That's nuts, I may redo the seats myself to try and save some bread but WTF on the prices.
That's why I asked about the 68 A body seats, I see a pair for sale local that aren't too much money.

Bronzedodge

I have recovered both high and low back Mopar seats, using Legendary covers all three times, and a bench seat using covers made locally with original vinyl.  I learned three things:  Take your time, take pictures, and have the covers as warm as possible - like warm from the sun on a 85 degree day or better.  Legendary sent instructions back in the early 90's when I did the high backs in my Demon, good guide.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

twenty mike mike

According to the purveyors of such things, the 68 and 69 A Body and B Body foam pieces are the same. I don't know how, since the '69 Dart GT and GTS have a very defined lumbar support, which the others don't have. Maybe it just simplifies things for the vendors.