News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater A/C box removal ?

Started by M5Ivan, January 21, 2017, 03:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M5Ivan

I'm planning to replace my factory A/C with a Classic Air system or refurbish mine. A previous owner deleted everything past the firewall so I'm thinking a new system might be in order.

I'm trying to remove the box and it seems to be "stuck". I've removed the electrical connections, the vacuum lines from the back of the controls, removed the heater control valve and then the 5 screws holding it to the firewall. Where it seems to be stuck is at the heater motor on the engine side. Out of the 3 bolts, only the top one (circled in red) came out of the firewall with the nut. For the other 2, only the nuts came off, so the bolts are still in the firewall. Is this holding it to the firewall?
Any help would be great appreciated!

WHITE AND RED 69

There are 3 smaller bolts around the heater motor that need to be removed first.

Those other 3 bolts only hold the motor in place. To make it easier to remove pull the motor off first before you pull the whole assembly. Just need to make sure the clip holding the wheel inside the box is removed from the motor shaft before pulling it off.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

M5Ivan

Ok, I removed those three small bolts. I'm still unsure how it comes out? Does the motor  come off first, or does it pull through the interior?

M5Ivan

M5Ivan

Well, that was an adventure  ::)
After reading through other posts about removing the unit, it seemed easy enough but it still took me the entire afternoon to remove it. According to what I'd read, there were only a few things to unplug/unbolt but there were definitely a few more connections to remove prior to pulling it out. My other issue was with the fan as I wasn't sure if it was part of the unit or not. Without White and Red 69's help ( :cheers:), I probably wouldn't have found the three small bolts around the edge of the motor housing next to the firewall.
I couldn't find anything in the service manual that helped with A/C equipped cars, it just has instructions for the heater box. To compound the issue, my car is in a 10x20 storage unit this winter and I'm unable to open the passenger door. Was JUST able to get it out the driver's side.
Anyway, now to figure out what to do about the A/C.

WHITE AND RED 69

:2thumbs:  Out the drivers side? Sounds like you did it the hard way  :lol: 
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

rcannon440

I just removed mine today also. Yes it's an adventure!!! I am also looking at both the Vintage Air and Classic auto air systems. The original Chrysler units are notorious for putting out some really cold air so rebuilding this is also an option. I have several working units. My car is no where near original so modifying it is not an issue and I do like the the idea of hiding the fan motor inside the car and the Vintage system runs the lines under the fender well which really cleans up the fire wall. I also like the fact of not having anymore vacuum lines. What do you guys think? Do you know of anyone that has installed either one that may have some input? ::)