News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally getting started putting in the cool it mat!!!

Started by 69wannabe, January 21, 2017, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Bought a few boxes of that thermo tec cool it sound and heat mat several months back and am just now getting a chance to get it put in. Pulled the seats, shifter, and kick panel's out today and pulled the carpet out. Cleaned the floor board good and started laying that stuff out. Too bad the floor board isn't just flat, all the ripples and ridges makes it a little difficult to get this stuff molded to it. It's working out pretty good and even though I am having to kinda piece it in some of the more rounded and tight places I am using duct tape to go over all the seams to tie it all together.

Going to go up behind the back seat with it but not as far as into the trunk pan. Got all of the front pans covered today and am going to work on the rear pans tomorrow. My knees were worn out crawling around inside the car for a couple of hours. Shouldn't take as long to finish up the rear pan's tho. I am hoping this will make a difference in the road noise and heat from the exhaust pipes and headers.

My carpet was faded in a few places so I ordered some new carpet to go in since I got it all out in the floor of the shop. Should be here one day next week so I should have it back together by next weekend I hope and I can see if there is any difference. At least the carpet will look good again!!

Anybody else use any of this cool it mat or dyno mat stuff in their chargers??

darbgnik

When I installed Hush Mat, it made a YUGE difference in road noise! I think you'll appreciate it.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

69wannabe

Awesome!! I got all of the floor board covered today and am going to put some up to where the floor board ends and the trunk pan begins. It looks great and there is quite a bit of duct tape sealing it all together which seems to be ok i guess. When I bought the mat there was some insulating tape that was offered by the same company but it just looked like duct tape to me so I didn't buy that since I got a couple of rolls of regular duct tape laying around. I will try and find my camera and get a pic of it to post on here. It looks pretty good and is sealed up really good and with the new carpet it should be an improvement for sure.

Bad B-rad

That's sounds great, I bet it makes a huge difference. Is there any down side to that stuff, like will it trap the moisture between the product and the floor pans if you leave your car out over night? Or is it thick were it may cause issues with installing carpet? I have never used that stuff but always thought about it,maybe even doing the roof under the headliner.

darbgnik

The Hush mat is a noise insulator by design, and temp isolation is secondary from what I remember, but it was a huge improvement. Thing is, you don't actually need it everywhere for the noise portion, basically it stiffens up panles which isolates the sound, making the surface it's on a part of the solution... or so I remember anyway, it's been years.

The Hush matt is like Dynamat, a tar like substance on one side, metal on the other, self stick. Can't imagine any moisture being able to penetrate it once its pushed on there with a small metal roller. Actually guys use this stuff to seal up their new headlights after they modify them to fit larger LED and HID bulbs.

Here's a pic of my install years ago. I'm assuming what you used is similar?
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

69wannabe

Basically the same stuff, tar like sticky on one side and foil on the other side. Didn't get home in time this evening to even go out to the shop, had a long day at work. Like said above once it's in there I don't think it can sweat or get moisture between it and the floorboard. My charger hardly ever see's rain or wet weather anyway but still it doesn't seem likely. Hopefully tomorrow will be not as long a work day and I can get a good pic of the floorboard. Like I said above I had several gap's and seams here and there piecing it all together that more than likely wouldn't have made any difference but I decided to seal it up with good ole duct tape just to make it look a little better.

69wannabe

I got all the cool it mat in place and got the new rear part of the carpet in but the front isn't going too good so I called my local guy who does seats and carpet in cars for a living. He is going to get it fixed up for me next week. My interior skills suck it seems. Stupid carpet doesn't cooperate where it goes over the hump at all and I am picky so that doesn't help either. I was over by year one today so I picked me up a new trunk divider and the jute padding to go on it and a set of seat spacers too. Once he gets the carpet to look better I will be able to put it all back together from there and see how it does. I have another box of the cool it mat, would it be good to put it behind my door panels or not? Just thinking that may interfere with my door panels but maybe not....

69wannabe

Well after a couple of long work weeks I was finally able to get the car to the upholstery shop and they got the carpet looking good now. Got it back home last night and put it all back together. Was glad to get all the seat's and stuff off the floor and back into the car. Need to vacuum it out now and wipe the seats good with armor all. Ordered me a new shifter boot and a pair of hinge covers for the driver side seat that should be here tomorrow. The interior is looking pretty good now!!!!

Kern Dog

I did this a few years back. There are all different types of stuff out there, different levels of quality too. I've read of guys using that lightweight foil backed bubble wrap. I can't see that stuff helping much. The asphalt/tar based stuff makes the most sense, in theory. They add a sort of density to the panels, making them deflect noises and resist vibrations that cause resonance and noise.

69wannabe

Got it all back together and drove it some and I do notice it seems a little more solid and quieter. Guess it feel's more insulated you could say. glad to get that project out of the way and ready to start on the engine once I get some of my other minor project's out of the way.......