News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Daytona recreation parts

Started by hotrod98, April 21, 2006, 09:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

This is basically a repeat of what I posted in another thread.
     We're mocking up a nose assembly on Howie's Charger. It's a real nice fiberglass piece that he's had for a while. We'll alter it as necessary for fitment and beef up any possible weak areas. Using his fiberglass z-braces, the fab shop here is going to make a steel version. We're not going to worry about trying to make it look identical to the factory pieces. That would be too expensive for a recreation car. We plan to offer the nose as a seperate piece or as an assembly, basically ready to bolt on.
     This is not a new company getting into the business permanently. The only reason that we're doing this is because a few of us in my area need these parts and we don't see getting them through the normal channels any time soon. These will not be lightweight flimsy pieces. I won't waste my time or yours building an inferior part. The bare nose, with the attaching mounts for the z-braces and headlamp buckets will run $900 plus shipping. They will be made with premium resins and will be gel coated and trimmed, ready for light prep and paint.     
          We don't have the price for the assembly yet since we haven't made the final decision on the type of components that we plan to use and don't have the final cost of the steel parts. I'll post the price of an assembly as soon as we know something.
We're trying to find a company to make the fender scoops. They're a cast resin part, not fiberglass. If necessary, we may make a fiberglass version. We have shelved the idea of making the fiberglass wings for now. I would contact Dane Gjesdal for a sold aluminum wing or Don Currie for a sheet metal wing. We feel like we need to concentrate on the nose assembly.
     As the fab shop gets back to me on prices for the individual steel parts, I'll post them in this thread.
     If you are trying to restore an original daytona, these would not be the best choice for parts. Several guys including Gean Gregory, Mike at Dayclona and Jack at Wingcarfab can build excellant exact replacement parts for your cars. Our parts will be very nice recreation type parts.
     My fiberglass guy is Dave Roddy. He has many years of experience with fiberglass and fiberglass molds. He is currently building lightweight superstock parts for Jim Hale. He is beginning to work with carbon fiber as well. Dave is also my PPG paint rep here at the dealership. He is multi talented and has built and painted many award winning show cars. 
     Bottom line is we are trying to make solid well fitting good looking parts at a reasonable price. We will be making a run of 10 noses total.  The bare noses will be ready by the end of the summer along with some of the other pieces as well. The assemblies will follow. If anyone is seriously interested in a quality nose, contact me. These will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Four of them are already spoken for.  At this point, there are no plans to make more than 10.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

hey Larry
 i   might be intrested in a complete working nose. for my next Daytona. i bought a 70 charger rolling body to make a pro street version but now i'm thinking of building a super muscle car daytona. so it kinda looks stock. maybe sassy grass green with a white stripe. i have 3 aluminum wings. i need another nose and another vega hatch. thanks Larry
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

My steel headlamp buckets should be here next week. I'm going to show them to the fab shop as well. Not sure if they can do anything with them at a decent price, but it's worth a try. Dave mentioned making them from carbon fiber. He's going to start building some carbon fiber drag car parts pretty soon. I'm anxious to get the daytona stuff mocked up. Howie's bringing his car down next week and I'm going to bring two of the cudas up here to the dealership to make a little more room to work there at my shop. I already put the charger and the superbee in storage so we should have plenty of room to work until the new shop is built. I hope they don't need a lot of help from me since we're right in the middle of building our new super comp firebird.
Rene, you need to call Gean Gregory and buy a couple of those deck lid reinforcement pieces. He's asking $200 a piece for them. They may go up once he gets all of his new steel daytona parts finished. Gean's # is 618 488-7941. I'll never be able to make those. The tooling costs would be over 150k. In my opinion, anyone building a daytona should call him today and order that part. You just never know how long this stuff will be available.
It's kind of cool to have a superbird and a daytona nose sitting here in the body shop. My excitement level has gone up several notches.

Charles Addams

70daytonaclone

Hi Larry I'd like to get my name on the list for one of your noses with the option to buy the rest of the parts to kit out the nose, what is a trunk stiffener? Is that for a shortened trunk lid? thanks Stephen thanks for those nice wing brackets central Georgia Dodge Clone Daytona builder(Winger)  LOL

BigBlockSam

QuoteRene, you need to call Gean Gregory and buy a couple of those deck lid reinforcement pieces. He's asking $200 a piece for them. They may go up   

i don't know what piece your talking about. got a pic and what it does. when we cut the trunk lid down. i took a strip of sheetmetal across the cut end . tacked it in and tin knocked around the ribs. just like i saw in this pic. Rene

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Rene,
That's the piece. I bought that piece to reduce the amount of time that I would have to spend converting the deck lid. The way I look at it is I can make far more money working on the resto's in the time it takes to make one than what the part cost. For those wiith the talent and the measurements to make one themselves, I say go for it. The nice thing about having the correct part to begin with is that it makes the conversion so much quicker and easier as well as being accurate. $200 is not that much really. I'm going to suggest to Gean that he take a few of those to the nats and to the Monster Mopar weekend at St. Louis. Would be nice for the guys to save the shipping costs. He's going to have a lot of his new steel daytona parts there as well.
Would be great if we could get several of the guys on here to attend the St. Louis show since it's the wing car gathering as well. We may set up a display while there with our new parts.  It's a great mid-size show, nowhere near the size of the nats though.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

hey larry you got a pic of the part?

nakita7

I'm interested, please put me down for a nose/kit and whatever else you will be building. You can call me if you want. Thanks

Dallas
dalkris@hotmail.com
250-554-0403

BigBlockSam

hey Mr
  I've already got all my stinger parts so I'm gonna use it on this replica. metal buckets would be cool if you can attach them  to the z brackets. with this stinger nose, I'm gonna fiberglass in the buckets. like daytonalo did. makes sense for strength.
  the most important part that i would like to see you reproduce is the light pivots and accessories. they have to be metal not to break. especially if your using an electric motor. the mounts to the motor rod and pivots have to be strong.
  I'm using vacuum. only because my 69 se has all the working parts. even the correct vacuum canister. I'm also going to use metal pivots for strength. i don't have them yet. I'm gonna try to make them. if not maybe i can buy a set from daytonalo.
  i would be very instrested in a complete working nose from you. Rene

hotrod98

Rene, I'm at the body shop right now putting Joe Pittman's hemi gtx together to get it out of my life. I have a pic of that trunk lid part on my computer at home. I just ordered another one from Gean for another car that I'm building for a guy here. I'll post the pic tonight. I plan to show those pivot pieces to my fab shop next week. We're going to have a complete working nose before we build a single part.

Dallas, I think you live near Don Currie. He lives in Duncan. You need to meet him. He's going to be building some daytona parts as well and may save you some money, especially on shipping. He built me some awesome superbird parts. I'm going to put you on the list for now. Let me know if things change after you talk to Don. I'm all for saving money any where possible. That shipping costs in and out of Canada is a killer, especially for us guys down here in the deep south.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Rene, here's a couple of pics of Gean's trunk reinforcement piece. The strange thing is the fact that the radius is identical to the front trunk radius on a gen 3 charger. Go figure.
Did that stinger nose have the lip in the headlamp opening to bolt the headlamp buckets in?
Dave mentioned building the headlamp buckets from carbon fiber. He said that the cost wouldn't be that bad since you can use remnant pieces of cf cloth. Certainly would be stronger. Just an idea at this point.

Charles Addams

nakita7

Quote from: hotrod98 on April 22, 2006, 03:10:30 PM

Dallas, I think you live near Don Currie. He lives in Duncan. You need to meet him. He's going to be building some daytona parts as well and may save you some money, especially on shipping. He built me some awesome superbird parts. I'm going to put you on the list for now. Let me know if things change after you talk to Don. I'm all for saving money any where possible. That shipping costs in and out of Canada is a killer, especially for us guys down here in the deep south.

Yes, I know Don already, I have talked to him several times. At this point he isn't doing too many Daytona parts. I know he has a lot of Superbird stuff ready. I have also talked to Dane about a wing, and I want to get one from him next time he does some.

As for the money thing, I am totally with you. I am good with money, and don't plan on throwing $75K toward a clone, that's for sure! I appreciate you thinking about that. I will talk to Don again, but please keep me on your list. When it comes to the shipping, I work for a large courier company, and I can get a deal on shipping, so I'm not worried about it.

Can you send me your phone number? Thanks  dalkris@hotmail.com

daytonalo

HEY LARRY , LET ME HELP YOU OUT WITH THE STINGER QUESTION . THERE IS NO FLANGE ON THE INSIDE TO BOLT Z- BRACKETS . IF YOU ASK ARTIE HOW ON EARTH ONE IS TO ATTACH Z -BRACKET TO NOSE AND HE WILL TELL YOU TO BOLT HIS FIBERGLASS Z-BRACKET TO CRASH BAR THEN EPOXY Z-B TO NOSE , I HUNG UP THE PHONE STUNNED BY RESPONSE SO I MADE METAL Z-B AND GLASSED HEADLIGHT BUCKET TO NOSE AND GLASSED IN A FLANGE THEN BOLTED Z-B TO NOSE .  LARRY

BigBlockSam

QuoteYOU TO BOLT HIS FIBERGLASS Z-BRACKET TO CRASH BAR   

?

hemigeno

Quote from: BigBlockSam on April 23, 2006, 04:28:21 AM
Quote  YOU TO BOLT HIS FIBERGLASS Z-BRACKET TO CRASH BAR   

?

Rene, the Crash Bar is a/k/a the "Nose Mounting C-Channel" that we posted a lot of pictures of in this thread:

What is the exact length of the Daytona Nose Mounting C-Channel

Geno

nascarxx29

I think I have Don Curries contact .I emailed him a while back after finding his uniquemoviecarwebsite.As he was offering all metal body parts for $6500.00
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

BigBlockSam

oh, i never heard that called a crash bar. thanks

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Gary42

Now you all know why it is so great living down the road from Larry :yesnod:. It's always nice to live next to the guy that mentors you though your own Daytona project, does anyone envy me yet :pity:.
1972 Dodge Charger, Rally edition
2010 Dodge Challenger, Rally package
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest."

- Mark Twain

BigBlockSam

Gary42

- Mark Twain

hotrod98

Gary is about 6'3' or taller. He's always wanted a cuda to go along with his 72 rallye charger. I warned him that e-bodies are not like b-bodies. They're more cramped and they don't ride as nice. Sooooo...a couple of weeks ago I took him for a ride to a car show in a nearby town in my 71 cuda. Now he's decided that he would rather have a daytona. I've created a monster. He needs a nice 69 or 70 charger. Anyone have an extra that they don't need? The nice thing is, we're going to make Gary help us build the molds. He's going to know a lot more about fiberglass than he ever wanted to know... real soon. Since Gary's a transplanted northeastener, we may just have to call it the New Yankee Workshop. 

Charles Addams

Gary42

Now thats even funnier yet. Its a good thing that I like you so much Larry, or I would have to send my daughter over to take care of my light work :laugh:. You hit the nail right on the head with the Cuda trip :yesnod:, if I had spent all the money you have and could not even fit inside, I would be rather upset with myself right now.
Thanks for setting me straight once again, you are my hero :icon_smile_big:.

- Mark Twain

Gary42

Larry
I finally got a response back from the guy in CO, will fill you in on what was said later on in the week. I will still be looking for a candidate for this project as things might not go well as planned. Keep your fingers crossed, as I need a little luck right about now.
Gary

- Mark Twain