News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Car Guy in San Luis Obispo, Ca

Started by tcurtis, January 27, 2017, 02:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcurtis

I've been looking to buy a '69 Charger for some time and came across a company called Classic Car Guy in San Luis Obispo, CA.  They seem to have a pretty elaborate Charger restoration business going and I have verbally committed to buying a car.  I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them.  It seems legit but in the age of internet scams I want to make sure before I send money.  Any information is appreciated.  Thanks. 

tan top

hello & welcome  TC ,   :cheers:

think this guy is just some kind of middle man or  a website to advertise on ... , becareful   a lot of hlpeg / truemusclecars.com cars advertised on this car guy site

http://www.classiccarguy.com/
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

MoparMotel

I live in SLO and have never heard of that company. I recognize some of the cars on the website as recently being on Craigslist whatever that's worth.
1968 Dodge Charger

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Troy

Sounds like a broker.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

tcurtis

Thanks for the welcome and for the information.

I don't want to trash the guy or anything, just trying to play it safe.  I spoke to the guy on the phone about a car I saw on his website and after some discussion he actually offered another with no pressure.  He got back to me the next day and then sent me a series of photos that depicted a pretty elaborate Charger restoration operation including photos of cars in various states of disassembly/repair/paint.  He advised that they offer a "Bullitt" replica, General Lee, pretty much anything Charger. Seemed quite knowledgeable about the second gen Chargers and their differences. They state they assemble to suit, replace whatever needs replacing, install rebuilt 383s, and sell. Even sent photos of the engine reman operation.  Of course, I have experience with dealing with scammers and the victims thereof, and have learned that the scams can sometimes be quite complex.  I'd have to say that if this is a scam it's one of the most elaborate I've run into.  If it's legit, it could turn into a good source for those wanting these types of cars.  Seems odd that members of an enthusiast site such as this would never have heard of someone who is cranking out restored Chargers.

Only Chrysler we ever owned was our "06 Town and Country.  Pretty much always been a Chevrolet (had a couple of Camaros and while one in particular will hold a special place in my heart, my affection for the series has faded) or Pontiac guy (still love Smokey and the Bandit and still have and love my '79 Firebird from the high school days-restored it myself), though I've wanted a General Lee since watching The Dukes of Hazzard (first TV run, not on TV land or Nick at night).  One of the coolest cars I've ever laid eyes on.  Opportunity never seemed to arise.  Always seemed out of reach until now but as retirement approaches I have my wife's blessing to go ahead and fulfill that dream.

Anyway, my story in brief.

Thanks again for the welcome and the information.

tcurtis

After doing some more checking I have found that this guy appears to be linked to Truemusclecars.com.  Does anyone know if that one is legit?

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: tcurtis on January 27, 2017, 07:39:50 PM
After doing some more checking I have found that this guy appears to be linked to Truemusclecars.com.  Does anyone know if that one is legit?

Run Forest! Ruuunnn!!!

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

chargerboy69

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on January 27, 2017, 07:50:07 PM
Quote from: tcurtis on January 27, 2017, 07:39:50 PM

Run Forest! Ruuunnn!!!

What he said. Dont get suckered in by their pictures or sales pitch. . . keep looking.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Dino

DO NOT get involved with those crooks. The reason you can't find any info here on these restorations is because they're not restorations. These guys slap garbage together and give it some paint to make it look good. You will end up with a very expensive junkyard car. If you want a Charger I suggest you start with placing a wanted ad on this site.

Welcome to the board by the way!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tcurtis

Thanks for the heads up.  Disappointing but not as much as if I had gotten a Junker.

Actually I did post in the wanted section but only got one reply and that car, while beautiful, wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I will continue the quest.  If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

polywideblock

like I've said I use classic car guy to do inspections , I have also said he has a " classified page " this has NOTHING to do with his business .  I sent him a link to this thread and asked about  hlpag this is a copy of his return email

Thank you Phil but Ive never heard of HLPAG

Thanks and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you !

Michael W. Johnson

ClassicCarGuy.com  

Toll Free: 1-888-762-5570

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

daveco

It seems like a reasonably honest broker would be able to get a lot of business.
R/Tree

mghtymous21

So I know people say this guy is a scam, and that may be so. But can we elaborate on how it's a scam? Do they just sell junk? Do they take the money and run, failing to deliver a car at all? Just curious. Thank you for any replies

Christianlondon

I don't know if he is or not but I have looked at his sight a few times over the years and he seems to have the same cars which never sell.One of these he has had in particular for over 3 years.I did Google street view on the address and it doesn't come back to any type of car dealership in the picture but some other company which I thought was very odd.I also have a friend in California who has never heard of him.He lists loads of cars on his page but they are certainly not at the address he gives so something isn't quite right

INTMD8

Quote from: mghtymous21 on April 09, 2019, 05:10:44 PM
So I know people say this guy is a scam, and that may be so. But can we elaborate on how it's a scam? Do they just sell junk? Do they take the money and run, failing to deliver a car at all? Just curious. Thank you for any replies

All I can say is, the website says "a California owned and operated company"

And the photos of the cars in "inventory" (well the Chargers at least) are in Lake Villa Il.

Just saw a 69 Charger driving out of there the other day.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq